Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid Moves...

Murph

I once owned a 1947 Indian motorcycle. It was a smaller 437cc parallel twin, but it was still pretty unique. I owned it and rode it in the Az. desert when I was 15. Yep, let it go.

I owned and gigged a 1972 Les Paul "Recording" for many years. Wore the frets off it. When I relocated up here, I didn't know a good fret guy and was hooking up with a very busy country/southern rock band and swapped it off.

I once owned an Arizona (rust free) 1969 Thunderbird. It was pretty clean, 390 I think. The speedometer was like a thermometer. It went from left to right. Sold it for peanuts.

I also owned a 1970 Chevy Nova when I was in high school.

They're all gone.

Oh no, this is going to spark a lot of old guys reminiscing about the stuff they had back in the day that might be worth something if they had kept it.

Not trying to rain on your parade or say you didn't have cool stuff, but we can't keep everything we ever owned and I don't blame you one bit for moving stuff on.  Although down here in SC some people do keep everything they ever owned, it's rusting on their front porch or in the front lawn.

• Haha 1

I should’ve kept my ‘55 Chevy Bel Air, my mid ‘50’s Gibson Les Paul, my mint 1959 Gibson ES345 Stereo Guitar.. Probably should’ve kept my ‘57 Ford too.

I should’ve bought that Condo on the Strand by the Pier in Oceanside, Ca. for $165,000 back in the ‘90’s…..

1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold-top.

Bought it used along with a Fender Twin Reverb amp, in 1976.
Paid $700 for the whole kit and caboodle.
I played in a garage band, and was an aspiring songwriter.

Sold them both in 1978 when I went off to Army Basic Training.
My girlfriend (future ex-wife) talked me into selling them at the time, though I really didn't want to.

She said, "Army helicopter pilots don't play guitar and write songs anyway."

Stupid, stupid me.

🤨

pLNTY47.jpg

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

If I’d only kept my 66’ Corvette……if this, if that, if if if……If the dog didn’t stop to piss, he’d have caught the rabbit.

MissouriPicker,

We could have bacon and eggs.

If we had some bacon.

And if we had some eggs.

RBSinTo

6 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

If I’d only kept my 66’ Corvette……if this, if that, if if if……If the dog didn’t stop to piss, he’d have caught the rabbit.

I had 3 Dobermans that caught and killed rabbits, feral cats, garter snakes in the back yard. Then the breeder I used to get them from got really sick and stopped. The breeder I get them from now in Georgia, must breed slower ones as; Well, They HAVE NEVER CAUGHT A RABBIT BUT THEY ARE A FRIEND OF US.  

Everyone has made mistakes in life. Theres many things I regret.

• Like 1

Y'know, I find it hard to believe that NOwhere in the ENTIRE STATE of Nebraska (it's where you live,ain't it?) there's nobody that breeds Dobermans.   The furthest I traveled to get a dog(our Shih-Tzu Megan) was from Lincoln Park,Michigan to Ypsilanti, Michigan, a total of 22 miles.  But there are also breeders of that breed also in Lincoln Park, but my wife worked with a lady who was breeding them and she lived in Ypsilanti.

Whitefang

13 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Y'know, I find it hard to believe that NOwhere in the ENTIRE STATE of Nebraska (it's where you live,ain't it?) there's nobody that breeds Dobermans.   The furthest I traveled to get a dog(our Shih-Tzu Megan) was from Lincoln Park,Michigan to Ypsilanti, Michigan, a total of 22 miles.  But there are also breeders of that breed also in Lincoln Park, but my wife worked with a lady who was breeding them and she lived in Ypsilanti.

Whitefang

Sure, there probably are many? My problem is that I used to show them and had a American Champion and I learned of all the faults in a doberman. 2 missing teeth in a male usually disqualifies  them. Toe in or toe out. 27" to 28" tall at the base of the neck. Top line should be straight, not sagging or roachy, Eyes should be almond shape. lots of rules. I lived with show dobermans so much, I can't take just anyone. I can live with a few faults like tech or whatever but that show quality outline has to be there or no dice. Tamma stopped breeding, The rest of the Doberman club  that bred them don't anymore. Theres one out in Nebraska somewhere but the breed European Dobermans. Not American. European ones are bigger, have a slanted top line, much more muscular which is fine but more aggressive and that's what I don't like.  My very first one I had was like that and turned on me. He went berserk and tried to rip my throat.  Most people use European Dobermans for Guard dogs.  Gunner was my first and I got him at one year old. It took him a while to get used to me. Then he was a One Person Dog. He nailed my cousin. She wanted to play tag and I told her NO! Gunner would bite her if she hit me. She thought I was joking and tried it. Then she ran for the door but didn't make it. Gunner got her and dropped her to the floor. She started crying and both parents came down to see what the deal was. I told them what happened and they told her she was stupid for not listening to me. Gunner wouldn't let my best friend come through the front gate whom he saw every day unless I first said, "It's OK Gunner."  But I checked on the computer lots of places for show Dobes here. I couldn't find any. But we weren't planning on getting another one. It was Pamala I knew from Georgia who showed my Champion as a puppy  who called me that she had a black male that nobody wanted.  Oliver has one testicle that didn't drop so he can't be shown. Instead of having him flown here Deb wanted to drive there to get him. He will be our last one. number 5. 

• Thanks 1

No regrets about cars or guitars. The nearest thing to a guitar regret is the Fender TC90 which was perfect in every way except for the heavily rolled edge which rendered it unplayable (to me). That's why it had to go. I couldn't even replace the neck because unusually it was a set neck. 

The only regrets I have are the couple of missed opportunities I had at 16 for losing my virginity. I was so naive & stupid then. 

• Haha 1

Yeah,  Butch.  My ex and I used to breed Silver Persian cats.  And we showed a couple, so I understand the rules hassle.   But one Molly(female) we bought was one ribbon from champion but before he next show she got her tail caught in a door her breeder had on the big "corral" she kept all her cats in and left it with a kink at the end of the tail.  We decided to try anyway, knowing the kink would likely keep her from a champion rating.  But turned out she won and championed.  Taking the judge aside and asking him about it he said she met the other standards exceedingly enough that he overlooked the slight kink.   She became our queen and had many beautiful kittens.   And her champion rating really added to their asking price.  [wink]

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

The only regrets I have are the couple of missed opportunities I had at 16 for losing my virginity. I was so naive & stupid then. 

Sure.  I HATED whenever that happened.  [laugh] (as if).

Whitefang

13 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah,  Butch.  My ex and I used to breed Silver Persian cats.  And we showed a couple, so I understand the rules hassle.   But one Molly(female) we bought was one ribbon from champion but before he next show she got her tail caught in a door her breeder had on the big "corral" she kept all her cats in and left it with a kink at the end of the tail.  We decided to try anyway, knowing the kink would likely keep her from a champion rating.  But turned out she won and championed.  Taking the judge aside and asking him about it he said she met the other standards exceedingly enough that he overlooked the slight kink.   She became our queen and had many beautiful kittens.   And her champion rating really added to their asking price.  [wink]

Sure.  I HATED whenever that happened.  [laugh] (as if).

Whitefang

Yeah, way too many things Judges look for. Pamala in Georgia was a judge, breeder, and handler. Tama wanted me to send Bandit, there to breed to a female. She showed him in the nationals and he won a ton of stuff. The female, would not take from a variety of breedings so they wanted the male to fly there. I wasn't going to do it but she talked me into it. Bandit sired puppies from California to Florida. So I can't live with any puppy. I have my rules, No flop ears, the tail has to be docked right, a long ear crop, No white on him. Some have a couple of white hairs. People take a magic marker and blot them out if they have a couple but any white is not allowed. I had a friend that showed cats.I worked with him at Union Pacific Railroad till it closed down at the Omaha shops.

17 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

No regrets about cars or guitars. The nearest thing to a guitar regret is the Fender TC90 which was perfect in every way except for the heavily rolled edge which rendered it unplayable (to me). That's why it had to go. I couldn't even replace the neck because unusually it was a set neck. 

My first guitar was from my parents. So cheap the strings sat about 3" up high off the fretboard at the 12th fret. I could't even push them down except at the 2nd fret. Glad it's gone. I bought a Gretsch Silver Jet. wish I still had it?  No regrets either turning a gal down for sex. She was 15 in school and I was 21. I was cleaning my Van when she walked by and started flirting and wanted sex but No way, That would be jail bait. Told her to hit the road. 

3 hours ago, Retired said:

My first guitar was from my parents. So cheap the strings sat about 3" up high off the fretboard at the 12th fret. I could't even push them down except at the 2nd fret. Glad it's gone. I bought a Gretsch Silver Jet. wish I still had it?  No regrets either turning a gal down for sex. She was 15 in school and I was 21. I was cleaning my Van when she walked by and started flirting and wanted sex but No way, That would be jail bait. Told her to hit the road. 

Well managed. In my case I was the junior. I had just started Art College, and she was a lecturer there. Probably 27ish and v nice looking. I was very polite and refused to go to the pub with her.

Your 1st guitar reminded me of something. Although I had no guitar as a kid, there was a 12 string mandolin in the house. I couldn't press the strings to the fingerboard either. These strings were in 4 groups of 3. Its still around somewhere less strings & bridge. 

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

a 12 string mandolin in the house. I couldn't press the strings to the fingerboard either. These strings were in 4 groups of 3. Its still around somewhere less strings & bridge. 

That's a pretty rare bird.

I've heard of them.

9 hours ago, Retired said:

My first guitar was from my parents. So cheap the strings sat about 3" up high off the fretboard at the 12th fret. I could't even push them down except at the 2nd fret. Glad it's gone. I bought a Gretsch Silver Jet. wish I still had it?  

Y'know, when I was a kid the house we were living in(Me, my Mom and brother)  had the 1/2 story fixed into one big room with a kind of walk-in closet.  One one wall of that closet was a small door which gave access to the attic.  And just inside that door was:

A huge blonde hollow bodied arch top guitar with three strings.  The back of the guitar was covered with masking tape that was obviously holding it together.  I never did notice the name of the guitar's maker on it's headstock.  Or ever learned what it was doing in our attic.  Along with that was an old 5-string banjo with only one string.   Sometime after my Mom remarried one of my step sisters took over that room.  Years later I asked her about that guitar and she told me she couldn't remember the make of it either.  Me, my Mom and step dad moved out of that house when I was a month away from turning 12.  In the hustle and bustle of moving I didn't take notice of bringing that old guitar along.   [huh]

Too bad.  Even that old "masking tape ax" would have been better than that all plastic Emenee piece o' crap I got as my first.

Whitefang

• Like 1

Wife had just gotten a  new '69 Nova when we got married.  We left it behind when we moved from Miami to Hartford.  Foolish, of course, since we were then car-less.  Careless?   Then, a '71 Monte Carlo with a 350. Then a 75 'vette with a 350.  After which, I decided cars were for transportation, and not fun.  (IE. Transporting kids and dogs - not 'watching the submarine races'. )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Well managed. In my case I was the junior. I had just started Art College, and she was a lecturer there. Probably 27ish and v nice looking. I was very polite and refused to go to the pub with her.

Your 1st guitar reminded me of something. Although I had no guitar as a kid, there was a 12 string mandolin in the house. I couldn't press the strings to the fingerboard either. These strings were in 4 groups of 3. Its still around somewhere less strings & bridge. 

You took Art in college?  I had a scholarship in Art when I graduated. Although, I turned it down to Race my cars in the NHRA quarter mile. Thought I'd make a name for myself like the big guys. Then my best man at my wedding whom I went in partnership stole the car and everything and I looked back and wished my mom would have kicked me in the but and made me take that Scholarship. I started Art in the 2nd grade and still do it. At BNSF I did art work for all the guys. They got me into doing stuff I'd never done before. I saw where Carl Brenders did a pencil sketch  of a mountain guy, just the head, and it looked great. I wanted to see if I could draw it the exact same. He claimed he was the Master of the pencil. Mine was a duplicate of his. Couldn't tell them apart.

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Y'know, when I was a kid the house we were living in(Me, my Mom and brother)  had the 1/2 story fixed into one big room with a kind of walk-in closet.  One one wall of that closet was a small door which gave access to the attic.  And just inside that door was:

A huge blonde hollow bodied arch top guitar with three strings.  The back of the guitar was covered with masking tape that was obviously holding it together.  I never did notice the name of the guitar's maker on it's headstock.  Or ever learned what it was doing in our attic.  Along with that was an old 5-string banjo with only one string.   Sometime after my Mom remarried one of my step sisters took over that room.  Years later I asked her about that guitar and she told me she couldn't remember the make of it either.  Me, my Mom and step dad moved out of that house when I was a month away from turning 12.  In the hustle and bustle of moving I didn't take notice of bringing that old guitar along.   [huh]

Too bad.  Even that old "masking tape ax" would have been better than that all plastic Emenee piece o' crap I got as my first.

Whitefang

Well, You just made my day Ken. Why?  I'm so bad, I can't remember the names of my old guitars I had. Started playing at 13. I still can remember the Gretsch, and the Ovation but that's it out of the 13 I had. I had a Electric guitar 6 string, that was shaped like Paul McCartney's Base but can't find info on it today. Or another red guitar I had. Thought it was American or something like that? But none look like it.

1 hour ago, Retired said:

You took Art in college?  I had a scholarship in Art when I graduated. Although, I turned it down to Race my cars in the NHRA quarter mile. Thought I'd make a name for myself like the big guys. Then my best man at my wedding whom I went in partnership stole the car and everything and I looked back and wished my mom would have kicked me in the but and made me take that Scholarship. I started Art in the 2nd grade and still do it. At BNSF I did art work for all the guys. They got me into doing stuff I'd never done before. I saw where Carl Brenders did a pencil sketch  of a mountain guy, just the head, and it looked great. I wanted to see if I could draw it the exact same. He claimed he was the Master of the pencil. Mine was a duplicate of his. Couldn't tell them apart.

You are undoubtedly the better artist. I didn't do my diploma course. I was allowed to start at 16 as a special dispensation. Almost everyone else was 18. It was just the foundation course that I did. Following that I was still was too young at 17 to apply for the diploma course. I loved being a art student. It was where I learned to play guitar. There were a couple of bands among the students too. They were pretty good for the time. 

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

You are undoubtedly the better artist. I didn't do my diploma course. I was allowed to start at 16 as a special dispensation. Almost everyone else was 18. It was just the foundation course that I did. Following that I was still was too young at 17 to apply for the diploma course. I loved being a art student. It was where I learned to play guitar. There were a couple of bands among the students too. They were pretty good for the time. 

My cousin,  played in a band in Council Bluffs called "The Rumbles." He was good but got kicked out early on for some reason? He taught me how to play. Actually learned mostly The Ventures songs from him till he went to Vietnam. I was stuck on drawing Horses mostly. My dad was an artist and taught me to draw in the 2nd grade. I had an Art teacher in high school that refused to give me A's until I stoped doing horses, Lol. I even did clay figures of them. So I started doing other stuff and got straight A's. At the Railroad guys got me into doing Trains, Plaines, Scenery, People, Caricatures, Cartoons, dogs, and about anything. My favorite has always been Wildlife. 

I mostly did good at cartooning some.  Can draw, but I wouldn't call it art.  My Mom was much better, once did a mural(sort of) of a desert scene on a wall in the basement recreation room in the house we lived in with that attic I mentioned earlier.  My brother wasn't bad art all.  Horse freak he was when younger he usually only drew horse heads.  Damn good ones too.   My Grandma took one of those adult art classes from the woman of the couple my ex and I house sat one winter('72-3)  and did marvelously, until the fool she married after my Grandfather died sissy-b!tched about the smell of paint.  I have a couple of her paintings hanging in the hallway of my house.   And a step sister of mine(the one who started teaching me the guitar) worked as a commercial artist for the Kresge company back in the '60's. She once drew an impressive lion's head on the inside of her closet door when the was in high school.  You'd have thought with all that talent surrounding me that some of it might have rubbed off on me.  [crying]

Whitefang