Gibson Brands Forums

Paul McCartney - New (ft. John Lennon)

Rabs

So from the details and what people said in the comments.. This is AI generated to put Johns backing vocals on the track and made Pauls voice a bit younger so it sounds more like a Beatles song..  Interesting

Edited by Rabs

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

So this is not New. Last Macca album I bought was Back To The Egg, and it was wearing thin way back then.

No. The point is that they have taken one of Maccas new songs and used AI to make it sound like a Beatles song by adding Johns backing vocals and making Pauls vocals sound younger. Which is evident if you listen to both the tracks posted.

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

No. The point is that they have taken one of Maccas new songs and used AI to make it sound like a Beatles song by adding Johns backing vocals and making Pauls vocals sound younger. Which is evident if you listen to both the tracks posted.

I understand the point, but it's unnecessary. I tried to listen to it as I have never heard that song before. I got bored after about 30 seconds into each. Paul's voice does sound different in each, so they achieved victory, I guess. Studio trickery is a wonderful thing if it works in your favor.

Its kind of like when Anthology came out, and they used two old John tunes and made really bad Psuedo-Beatles songs out of them. Free As A Bird, and I can't remember the name of the other one cause its so good.

So, we can now not only auto-tune, but we can age-tune as well? Now if there was only something other than practice to make me a good guitarist. That would be the shizze nizzle.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

It was pretty convincing I suppose. I'm sure there are "real" voice impersonators who could pull it off as well, or probably even better.

I always thought Paul and Julian should have worked together back in the mid 80's on a project. It seemed a natural thing to happen.

I think it was cool for Paul to do it, regardless.

Thanks for posting, Rabs.

• Thanks 1

I had to be emotionally ready to give the updated AI version a listen.
Almost didn't listen, but I finally gave in.
It's good.
But somehow sacrilegious.

I'm a lot more drawn to the two songs that Jeff Lynne produced for the Anthology albums in the mid 1990's.
Free As A Bird and Real Love.

Jeff was given cassette tapes containing rough demo's that John had recorded many years earlier.
They were literally John's voice singing over unfinished songs on piano or guitar.
Recorded at The Dakota, the apartment building where John was eventually murdered, two songs emerged as good candidate to be made into 'Beatles' songs.

Jeff Lynne had quite a chore in the studio.
He had to take rough, hissing cassette demos, extract John's voice, finish writing the songs, record the surviving Beatles singing and playing instruments over John's voice, and time-synch everything. All analog, cutting tape and everything.

Would Jeff Lynne use AI technology if it made the job easier?
Probably.
😐

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I'm a lot more drawn to the two songs that Jeff Lynne produced for the Anthology albums in the mid 1990's.

😐

I agree.

At least those recordings were actually John, and they were quite good considering what they had to work with.

• Like 2

Not only the recordings were good, but the video for "Free As A Bird"  is an ingenious history of The Beatles in capsule.  As to the point of this thread....

To me the "new" version of "New"  sounded much like the rest of McCartney's post Beatles output, and if not informed ahead of time,  I'd never know it was John's  vocals in the background.  There's probably a few dozen guys out there that can do a spot on impersonation of John's singing voice( as dozens of top tribute bands can attest to) and we just have one person's word to go by.

Whitefang

18 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Gave me a chill.

Me too. Kinda brought back the feeling way back then of when a new song came out. This one is along the lines of Penny Lane to me. Great songwriting and good job with AI.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I had to be emotionally ready to give the updated AI version a listen.
Almost didn't listen, but I finally gave in.
It's good.

Jeff was given cassette tapes containing rough demo's that John had recorded many years earlier.
They were literally John's voice singing over unfinished songs on piano or guitar.
Recorded at The Dakota, the apartment building where John was eventually murdered, two songs emerged as good candidate to be made into 'Beatles' songs.

He had to take rough, hissing cassette demos, extract John's voice, finish writing the songs, record the surviving Beatles singing and playing instruments over John's voice, and time-synch everything. All analog, cutting tape and everything.

Would Jeff Lynne use AI technology if it made the job easier?
Probably.
😐

one thing that really struck me was the bridge McCartney added to Free As A Bird. "whatever happened to, the life that we once knew ..."   that after all those years, they were still a perfect fit.  it was just right.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tman said:

Me too. Kinda brought back the feeling way back then of when a new song came out. This one is along the lines of Penny Lane to me. Great songwriting and good job with AI.

ah, Penny Lane.  such a masterpiece. the bass line alone is ...  

11 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

RIP John

RIP Beatles

I'd just rather they didn't dig 'em up anymore

This was posted on Pauls official channel. So it had his blessing at least......  

But yeah, its a bit weird. Like the holograms of dead people they sometimes use at gigs these days. But that is way worse than just a recording.

Also this is the thing with this whole AI debate..

Yes of course real people can do what the AI can do. The issue is that it can do it way quicker and a lot cheaper than a real person. And as we all know, the music industry is first and foremost a business. If they can do it cheaper and get away with it, they will. Thats the sad truth and why so many people are getting worried about their jobs.

What I dont know is how much the AI did by itself and how much was still maybe mixed or polished off by a person.. If the AI did the whole track, that would be extremely impressive.

Edited by Rabs

AI scares me a bit, to me it can undermine human achievement, everyone's computer has the potential to be the next genius composer or to produce the next art masterpiece.

It can already be used to write a first-class dissertation. 

Yes, it can be fun and be used for the good of mankind but once the genie is out of the bottle there can be no going back     

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

everyone's computer has the potential to be the next genius composer or to produce the next art masterpiece.

Wouldn't that lessen the value of a genius composer or an artist?

Hmmmm.

:-k

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Wouldn't that lessen the value of a genius composer or an artist?

Hmmmm.

:-k

Yes, this is exactly why people are getting worried about it....

In the same way as what happened in the industrial revolution when people lost jobs to machines..  Its going to happen again but this time with more than just manual labour jobs. Now the machines can compete with our creative people too. And the AI is only going to get better as time goes on.

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Yes, this is exactly why people are getting worried about it....

In the same way as what happened in the industrial revolution when people lost jobs to machines..  Its going to happen again but this time with more than just manual labour jobs. Now the machines can compete with our creative people too. And the AI is only going to get better as time goes on.

Or it can improve already existing jobs, especially brain intensive non manual occupations such as proofreading/editorial or interpretation jobs (like a Radiologist). Many in the medical field are taking the sky is falling approach. I personally welcome AI's contribution. It'll point out a potential abnormality and we human's get to say nah, it's nothing or damn, I could have missed that but still have the final say.