Gibson Brands Forums

Solstice

rct

They live streamed the sunrise at Stone Henge last night.   We watched it for a long time, as dull as that may seem.  Nice music, really big crowd.  It was very nice.  Thank You, England.  My LionHeart.

rct

• Thanks 2

Well thankfully the weather is awesome over here at the moment..  Quite rare..  Lovely blue skies, temps of about 27 degrees C (about 80F) and a nice cool breeze.. 

Just doesnt get better.. Perfect summer weather..  

Last year it went up to 40 degrees. Hopefully it just stays like it is, that was way too much.

6 hours ago, rct said:

They live streamed the sunrise at Stone Henge last night.   We watched it for a long time, as dull as that may seem.  Nice music, really big crowd.  It was very nice.  Thank You, England.  My LionHeart.

rct

You in FLA yet or still Jersey?

13 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well thankfully the weather is awesome over here at the moment..  Quite rare..  Lovely blue skies, temps of about 27 degrees C (about 80F) and a nice cool breeze.. 

Last year it went up to 40 degrees. Hopefully it just stays like it is, that was way too much.

So it doesn't just rain there all the time? Must be one of those Urban Legends.

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So it doesn't just rain there all the time? Must be one of those Urban Legends.

Not all the time but A LOT...  And when its not raining its usually dull and grey... So yeah, the rare bit of summer we get each year is precious.

Also depends where you are.. Apparently it rains even more in Scotland.

Fun facts;  tomorrow, June 22,  the sun rises at the same time and goes down one minute later.

[biggrin]

I live about an hours drive from Stonehenge which is on the A303 road.   These days it costs over £20 to get in and except on the solstice days, you can't get that close to the stones.  When I was a kid we would drive past it at least once a year going on holiday; there was no admission fee and you could go and scratch your initials on the stones if you wanted, until the late 60s at least.   What you see these days is a much-restored modern version of the 3rd Stonehenge to be erected on the site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge

Neolithic Avebury was/is far bigger, awe inspiring and more interesting IMO.   It is almost directly North of Stonehenge, about 40 mins by car.    If you have any plans to visit Stonehenge ever, you should also go to Avebury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

At one stage in my life I was sent to school near Glastonbury and on weekends would walk up the Tor (which had cattle and sheep grazing on it), smoke fags (cigs) and have a piss in the ruined bell tower (all that remained of the church) which was open to the sky and full of dung.  I believe they've tarted it up a bit now.   It never felt mystical to me though the view  is impressive.

And while I'm ruining this thread for everyone - Tintagel castle.    "A castle was built on the site by Earl Richard in 1233 to establish a connection with the Arthurian legends that were associated with the area.......The castle was built in a more old-fashioned style for the time to make it appear more ancient."  - Wiki.

It was partly demolished and in ruins by the 14th century.   Again the views and situation are very impressive but it had nothing to do with King Arthur.

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

It’s 82 degrees here. 4000% humidity and it’s been raining on and off for a few days and will do the same for the next few. Wish it was 65 degrees with 30 % humidity.

13 hours ago, rct said:

New Jersey.  We've taken FL off the table.

rct

People are pouring in here to SC. In a few years this place is gonna be unbearable. And tourists season just started. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Nobody celebrates an equinox

I do!  I've had the same Chevrolet Equinox for 18 years!  [smile]

2005 Chevrolet Equinox                                                                                400

Of course that isn't a photo of mine, and mine hasn't looked that good for a long time.  [biggrin]  But still runs like new.

Whitefang

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rct said:

New Jersey.  We've taken FL off the table.

rct

Western NC is nice...  Not too crazy but pretty cosmopolitan.  Real estate's a little pricey for down here but not too hard a move from Jersey.  Western NC is way more "eastern" that East TN.  Anyway...

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

oh yeah... but if it is a celebration, it's a pretty sombre reflective one.

I took this arrangement of it off the Harvie Swartz LP "Smart Moves".    Unfortunately I can't play like Mike Stern...!

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 1:07 PM, badbluesplayer said:

Western NC is nice...  Not too crazy but pretty cosmopolitan.  Real estate's a little pricey for down here but not too hard a move from Jersey.  Western NC is way more "eastern" that East TN.  Anyway...

Yep. Went to school there for 3 semesters in ‘65 - ‘66.   Loved it.  Got to spend a day there (Belmont) in 2000.   College was unchanged.  Like a time capsule.  Town …. We’ll, either it changed or I did ,   But for the good! 

On 6/22/2023 at 2:07 PM, badbluesplayer said:

We would agree, a nice area, and one we've considered.  Quite a few things will keep us here, it is just what it is.

rct

9 hours ago, rct said:

We would agree, a nice area, and one we've considered.  Quite a few things will keep us here, it is just what it is.

rct

Is it the Taylor Ham and White Castle? Or those I think people call them Jug Handles, where you turn right to go left? It could be Snooki? When I was in the CG I worked in Cape May and Sandy Hook quite a bit. It was always fun to come back to the state of my birth for a few days, but I was always glad to leave too. My daughter always laughed at the way my mom pronounced coffee. It sounded like “cawfee”. Say coffee again grandma.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper