Gibson Brands Forums

Electric bass for small hands?

gearbasher

My niece is getting back into playing bass, She was pretty damn good untill she stopped playing about ten years ago. She wants to get a new bass as an incentive to keep playing. But, she is very small with small hands and feels she can be better with tighter string spacing, I've been searching specs and it seems like the Fender Jazz bass has one of the smallest nut widths. Any other suggestions? Quality at maybe a lower price than the Fender.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 2

I think the Gibson SG (EB-3) bass is short scale and lightweight. So are the Fender Mustang and Hofner Violin models.

If I wanted a short-scale for a youth, I'd probably favor the Gibson, but I'd definitely let them decide. If they like it, they will play it more and better,

Insights and incites ♫

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I will run them by her. The Jazz bass still has the smallest nut width, but I don't think she was considering scale length.

BTW. She's not a junior. She's just very small. She's pushing 40. I tell her: I knew her when she was wearing diapers and she'll soon know me when I'm wearing them.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Any of the short scale basses should do. I think a Fender J or P is 30 inch scale. Not sure what short scale basses are at.

Fender Jazz basses and Precision basses have a 34 inch scale length.

The Fender Mustang, Mustang PJ,  the Squier Bronco bass, and the Squier vintage Jaguar bass are all 30 inch scale.

🙂

Hi Gearbasher,

I have small hands for a guy and I play bass as well as guitar. If your niece is small in stature the Fender Jazz bass will not do. I had one and could not bond with it. Not an issue with the neck thickness; it's the scale length. The frets are just too far apart on the low end. Walking bass lines killed me. I have a Peavey Cirrus bass and love it. The Ibanez SG Gear basses are very similar. Both are what's called full scale. I call them guitar players' basses because they have slim necks and the scale length is good. If she doesn't mind short scale the Fender Mustang and Kramer short scales are nice and priced right also. Last year I was looking at one of the rubber string acoustic electric mini basses, a Gold Tone. When I went back to the shop to buy one they had a used Taylor GS Mini acoustic bass for the same price as the rubber band one and I tried it and bought it. It is short scale and acoustic so it has limited upper fret access, so I've had to rework a bunch of fingerings for certain songs but it is a dream to play. The cool thing is it can be played acoustically or it can be plugged in and it sounds just like an electric bass. Even has a built in tuner. I got it for $450. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 5:40 AM, gearbasher said:

My niece is getting back into playing bass, She was pretty damn good untill she stopped playing about ten years ago. She wants to get a new bass as an incentive to keep playing. But, she is very small with small hands and feels she can be better with tighter string spacing, I've been searching specs and it seems like the Fender Jazz bass has one of the smallest nut widths. Any other suggestions? Quality at maybe a lower price than the Fender.

Hofner is one.. Fender Mustang Bass is smaller than a Jazz Bass.. A Squier Bass VI might be of interest too..

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an acoustic guitar bass, it is a 30”  short scale  with a single cutaway and of course built in pickup. I fell in love playing it in a store had to bring it home. It is so much fun, it seems to always be right next to me where ever I sit, I can’t stop playing it and it sounds so good unplugged. Also it sounds great through an amp, but most of the time I just play it unplugged. Great bass for practicing.

This is the same model I got, not very expensive either.

yd8uvjyr6dt1qpwzjvxb.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1