Gibson Brands Forums

Whip Out Your Rig

badbluesplayer

Yesterday I finally stopped my '72 Princeton Reverb from farting out - splatting - at high volume.  It did it for 51 years until I finally won the battle yesterday.  I've had this thing for about five years and fiiiiiiinally fixed it!  I tried fartproofing it using all the usual ways that the best guys in the business use, and it didn't stop the splatting.  It was the darndest thing.  Only happened with the cable running TO the reverb tank plugged in, whether or not the return cable was plugged in.  That's messed up!.  It ended up being some kind of oscillation between the input side of the reverb and something else.  It was also affected by vibration from the cabinet, so I couldn't get it to act up very much it with the chassis removed, and I couldn't trace the signal with a scope to see where the problem was.  Ultimately solved it when I tidied up some wiring and replaced a couple wires on the board with shielded wires so they didn't interact.  Now I can crank it to 10 and it just slobbers like it should!

Mf9H1gl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/12/2023 at 6:51 AM, Karloff said:

OJ.jpg

Nice.  I have a Gold top standard that looks the same. I had an amp as a teen my mom bought for me, I could never remember the brand? I've been searching for decades on end to find out what it was.  It was from the 60's or 70's. It stood as tall as your double stack and had a head on top. About 5 & a half feet tall or better. A tube amp. Anyway I found it finally. It probably was a Sunn? had 4 large speakers and 2 smaller ones. I remember I couldn't turn the volume up, It went from off to about an 1/8' turn on volume and had sustain like crazy. Just kept building louder and louder if I let it. Tried to tell my mom it was for large outdoor concerts and not for bedrooms. Lol I sold it at 28 years old. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Retired said:

Nice.  I have a Gold top standard that looks the same. I had an amp as a teen my mom bought for me, I could never remember the brand? I've been searching for decades on end to find out what it was.  It was from the 60's or 70's. It stood as tall as your double stack and had a head on top. About 5 & a half feet tall or better. A tube amp. Anyway I found it finally. It probably was a Sunn? had 4 large speakers and 2 smaller ones. I remember I couldn't turn the volume up, It went from off to about an 1/8' turn on volume and had sustain like crazy. Just kept building louder and louder if I let it. Tried to tell my mom it was for large outdoor concerts and not for bedrooms. Lol I sold it at 28 years old. 

Sunn made some really nice stuff back in the day.   were you able to buy that amp again or just narrowed it down to identifying it ? I'd like to have a 70's Sunn Model T head. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Karloff said:

Sunn made some really nice stuff back in the day.   were you able to buy that amp again or just narrowed it down to identifying it ? I'd like to have a 70's Sunn Model T head. 

I could never remember what model it was? Especially after that brain tumor I had. Iv'e just been trying to identify it as no one believed I actually had such an amp for home use.  I think my mom bought it for me for my 16th Birthday? I remember my mom coming down to my room saying; "Your knocking off pictures off the wall again."  And that was 1/2 volume. When she was gone one day, I cranked it up some to see what it would do. LOl, I only did that once. I showed the amp to Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 4:42 PM, mihcmac said:

I agree, its an excellent playing guitar, it went into the closet because its a little on the heavy side.

I have questions about guitars in closets. I put a cheap acoustic guitar my wife bought me in a closet and left it there. 30 years later I took it out and the bridge was pulled loose and bent up 3/8". It's an Oscar Smidth. Was going to toss it out but I still have it and thinking about having it fixed. Its so old, I want to hear it. The wood is aged great. Its a jumbo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

So now I understand how 99.9999% of the women on this planet felt when the media exposed Imelda Marcos' shoe collection.

Inadequate

Imelda-Marcoss-shoes-in-1-010.jpg?width=

And women say, Why Do You Need So Many Guitars For?  Mine would say, And why do you need another red one for? you already have a red one. Haha. 

You guys have much better amps and equipment than me. But then I just play for self entertainment.  Now CHESS. There's my favorite hobby.  Mom told me I had an uncle that taught me to play at 2 years old or tried to. I just remember playing it as long as I can remember. I get frustrated if I lose. To date, I beat 3 expert players and one candidate Master. No one will play me. So I have to play Kasparov  computers. 

15 minutes ago, Retired said:

You guys have much better amps and equipment than me. But then I just play for self entertainment.  Now CHESS. There's my favorite hobby.  Mom told me I had an uncle that taught me to play at 2 years old or tried to. I just remember playing it as long as I can remember. I get frustrated if I lose. To date, I beat 3 expert players and one candidate Master. No one will play me. So I have to play Kasparov  computers. 

Now that's impressive. I'll take you on in checkers😄

16 hours ago, Retired said:

that is impressive.  I taught my granddaughter to play, my wife knows the game, and my son as well  it's definitely something that requires the right frame of mind when you sit down to play a match

-- it occurs to me I've not played in a while now.  I think it's time to get those matches going again.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 10:27 PM, Retired said:

I have questions about guitars in closets. I put a cheap acoustic guitar my wife bought me in a closet and left it there. 30 years later I took it out and the bridge was pulled loose and bent up 3/8". It's an Oscar Smidth. Was going to toss it out but I still have it and thinking about having it fixed. Its so old, I want to hear it. The wood is aged great. Its a jumbo. 

consider that as a common problem with the changing climates/humidity etc over a 30 year span

the question is, with something like that, it probably needs both a bridge set and a probably neck reset.  it would have to have some very high sentimental value to put that kind of repair money down.  These were entry level acoustics, wrt cost/$investement$

8 minutes ago, kidblast said:

consider that as a common problem with the changing climates/humidity etc over a 30 year span

the question is, with something like that, it probably needs both a bridge set and a probably neck reset.  it would have to have some very high sentimental value to put that kind of repair money down.  These were entry level acoustics, wrt cost/$investement$

Probably cost more to fix it than it’s worth. But, how do you put a price on a gift your wife gave you 30 years ago? Fix it & play it with love…

16 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Probably cost more to fix it than it’s worth. But, how do you put a price on a gift your wife gave you 30 years ago? Fix it & play it with love…

Bingo.

And gift yourself for living another 30 years. I do.

My next one, I'll be 90....

\:D/

My wife bought me a new Martin D-35 for my Birthday in 1975 as a Surprise Gift! I was Surprised! The first really good Acoustic Guitar I ever had.. I’ve played it almost everyday since.. I love her & the Guitar! She’s bought a few more since.. I’m Lucky!

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 3