Gibson Brands Forums

Martin relic

merciful-evans

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Cheesy. 

I don't care about relics but at least Gibson hired a professional.

I’m sure Chris Martin who has been around guitar since birth hired drug addicts off the street to relic his guitars.

Yeah, I think any of us could relic guitar’s. I’m pretty handy with an ice pick, and a bag full of pennies. 

Oh, who’s your relic-er? Mine is a professional, and he apprenticed abroad, and at the Ivy League’s best school of guitar de-new-ification.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Not long ago, I considered sending my '83 CSE Explorer to Gibson to repair it's finish cracking and years of dings. But, seeing how "relic" releases seem to be in vouge, what's the point? Apparently, since early '85, when I brought this monster home (new), I have been "relic-ing" it, because I actually played it, gigged with it, and seemed to find every door frame, mic stand, stage wall, etc. to bang the unwieldy beast into. I guess all that abuse just added value to it.

Relicing is just a BS term for faking the "ridden hard and put away wet" wear cast upon instruments by the musicians who constantly play them!   I'll "relic" my own axe, thank you!

53 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Currently that "distressed" look is in, and it's popular. Even car builders are using it, like clearcoating over rust on old classic cars. Builders and contractors are big into it also. 

Rat Rod guys have been doing to for years. 

I am going to go on record and say right now I want to keep my car, house, guitar, and jeans looking new as the day I got them. 

I'm a contractor, and I remember about 25 years ago starting a project in a new home under construction. I was getting ready to cover a clear oak hardwood floor to protect it, it wasn't stained or finished yet. The builder said don't worry about covering it, we are going to kill it! A few days later the floor guy was throwing nails, brick, rocks, chains, and even gouging  it with the claw end of a hammer. I thought they were crazy. I will say it looked terrific after it was all finished. I see that look on new cabinets and especially wood flooring. 

22 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I'm a contractor, and I remember about 25 years ago .................... I will say it looked terrific after it was all finished. 

I knew a guy in the Mesa/Phoenix area whose dad was a contractor and did this in the late 70's for a wall in a restaurant using old, distressed lumber. He paid us to go get the lumber for him.

It too, turned out fantastic.

You could get better clear coats back in those days....