Gibson Brands Forums

Why?

Sgt. Pepper

I'm on the verge of purchasing tickets for 2 concerts in 2024 - Dinosaur Jr (original members) and Iron Maiden (all members from their biggest era I think). Dino Jr costs about the same as filling my car's fuel tank. Maiden costs 1.5 tank fills for the floor/cheapest seats and 2.5 tanks for OK seats (or up to 4 tanks for the premium packages).

I am ok with those prices, my life's too short to spend time filling up the car.

If Dino Jr was a J.Mascis "and friends" type show I'd still be ok with 3/4 the cost. If Maiden were not damn close to the big era line-up I probably wouldn't be bothered going as it would likely still cost the same.... but every such decision would be on a case by case basis - my wife would go to see bands with no original members just because she liked the songs and its a night out with a great light and sound show... and who am I to judge. I'd suggest there is no right or wrong, just what you like when it comes to the arts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 'Scales said:

I'm on the verge of purchasing tickets for 2 concerts in 2024 - Dinosaur Jr (original members) and Iron Maiden (all members from their biggest era I think). Dino Jr costs about the same as filling my car's fuel tank. Maiden costs 1.5 tank fills for the floor/cheapest seats and 2.5 tanks for OK seats (or up to 4 tanks for the premium packages).

I am ok with those prices, my life's too short to spend time filling up the car.

If Dino Jr was a J.Mascis "and friends" type show I'd still be ok with 3/4 the cost. If Maiden were not damn close to the big era line-up I probably wouldn't be bothered going as it would likely still cost the same.... but every such decision would be on a case by case basis - my wife would go to see bands with no original members just because she liked the songs and its a night out with a great light and sound show... and who am I to judge. I'd suggest there is no right or wrong, just what you like when it comes to the arts.

I saw D Jr in '93. It was at Lollapalooza in California. Primus and Alice In Chains were on the bill too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, 'Scales said:

I'd suggest there is no right or wrong, just what you like when it comes to the arts.

I think it's plagiarism if it's a legendary/classic band name and they are selling tickets and representing to be such band.

Skynyrd is the best example, because they did it very shrewdly. First, there were a few line-up changes before the crash, and then a "tribute" get together.

However, when baby brother and Co. decided to make it a life long goal to bleed the turnip to the point that it's a freaking joke, they have made a mockery of the original band.

22 hours ago, jvi said:

Such indignation ! get over it.

There is the way it is - and then there is the way you want it to be. 

23 hours ago, Murph said:

I think it's plagiarism if it's a legendary/classic band name and they are selling tickets and representing to be such band.

Skynyrd is the best example, because they did it very shrewdly. First, there were a few line-up changes before the crash, and then a "tribute" get together.

However, when baby brother and Co. decided to make it a life long goal to bleed the turnip to the point that it's a freaking joke, they have made a mockery of the original band.

Its not plagiarism. Every bar band in world plays cover tunes. But I can't just start building guitars and put Gibson on the headstock. If I do here come the lawyers, right. But if your in a band and your passing it off as a fake, well that's okay, and people will gladly pay hundreds to see imposters. Look at Kiss. Now back in the day when a member got booted, or left the group, the new member became a new character. The two newest guys in the group are parading around as Ace (Spaceman) and Peter (The Cat). LAUGHABLE. Well Kiss are laughable too. Paul got caught having a vocal part being sang when he was 15 feet from the mic. Oppps. You got caught Paul. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

As a working musician, I seldom get to see anyone, because they show up on the days that I'm usually gigging.

But in my younger years, I did open for quite a few of them as the 'warm up' band in concerts, and also some big show clubs.

The musician who is now my wife and I started this duo http://www.s-cats.com in 1985. So I sometimes tell the audience that the only band that has been together longer than us is The Rolling Stones—and when the timing seems right—I add “and we still have all the original members”.

Back On Topic

No it's not plagiarism to go out with a famous band name and no original members, if you don't own the name it's copyright infringement, and if you do own the name it's legal, but I still consider it fraud.

Notes ♫

In 2016 I was in the UK and saw Dr Feelgood at the 100 Club in London.  The "classic" lineup of the band was pre 1977. As members left, by c'83 it was eventually only singer Lee Brilleaux, but to almost everyone Lee and the departed Wilko were the band anyway so this was fine... and so it continued until Lee's death around 1994. Here's the thing - whilst not original or peak period members, the other 3 guys in the version of the band I saw had been playing with Lee for several years (some a decade - in fact longer than the classic lineup), including for studio and live albums at the time - they continued from the late 90's with a lead singer from the Animals and when I saw them he had been 17 years in the gig and the rest of the band anything up to 30 odd years.

Did I hand on heart feel that I had seen Dr Feelgood? - frankly no, to me the "real" band died with Lee... but did I enjoy hearing the most legitimate bunch of guys on Earth to be playing the songs they did so well to an adoring crowd who knew the score?...absolutely!!

I think if it were Skynyrd I'd be the same, but ticket prices would need to reflect that it was none of the original guys, as was the case for Feelgood.

here's a song I video'd the night in question [thumbup]

What's your take on a band like The Flying Burrito Bros.? Between 1967and 2000 there were no less than 35 different members. I was always a fan and different line-ups didn't bother me. But, to me the band ended in '97 when Sneaky Pete and Gib Guilbeau left. As far as the "spin-off" bands go...garbage.

11 hours ago, gearbasher said:

What's your take on a band like The Flying Burrito Bros.? Between 1967and 2000 there were no less than 35 different members. I was always a fan and different line-ups didn't bother me. But, to me the band ended in '97 when Sneaky Pete and Gib Guilbeau left. As far as the "spin-off" bands go...garbage.

Gilded Palace was great after that they fell apart. Gram got booted in '70 (I think for showing up drunk 5 mins before a show started) and he OD'ed in '73 or 4. The singer from Firefall was in the band on one album. 

Yes have had 20 official members and more in the touring band. S A D. No member of Yes right now recorded a note on their very first or second album. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Zappa always had a revolving door approach to his bands. If he wanted you and you passed the audition you were in. 

Here is a list of who played with Frank. See if you recognize any?

Sorry its a link - its just to long to list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_performers_on_Frank_Zappa_records

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Yoko Ono! Frank must have needed a screechy cat sound.

John and Yoko played on the final night on the encore only of Frank and The Mothers 4 show run at the Fillmore East June 5th and 6th. John I think did what he wanted with his recording of the encore, and some of it I think is on Sometime In NY City. He edited some of Franks band out his versions.  I think John took credit and changed the name of the song King Kong, and Frank was not happy about it. They performed on these songs:

Well

Say Please

King Kong

Aaawk

Scumbag

A Small Eternity With Yoko Ono

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-1971-Super-Deluxe-CD/dp/B09Q3NP1LH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2P9GNM2NAGMRY&keywords=frank+zappa+fillmore+east+1971+50th+anniversary&qid=1698936434&sprefix=frankk+Zappa+fil%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-3

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

IMO, If you have bands like Frank Zappa & The Mothers, the Steve Miller Band, Elvis Costello and the Attractions Prince and the Revolution, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and others, where the leader is the attraction, it doesn't matter to me if the band members rotate, as long as the “star” is still alive. It's like the old Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, or Stan Kenton orchestras. But you can't cover those bands with a new leader.

Some bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were a unit, and IMO, replacing any of them would be a problem. The Rolling Stones have always been Mick and Keith, so changing the others isn't major – but I still think Brian Jones was a major contributor to their early work.

Jay and The Americans have had 3 Jays, the second one's real name was Dave and their biggest hits were recording by Dave.

Blood Sweat and Tears had Al Kooper as the first singer, then David Clayton Thomas, and most of their hits were by him.

To the average music consumer, it really doesn't matter if none of the original members are there, they want to hear the songs and be able to say, “I saw _______ in concert.”

So that lady I mentioned earlier was happy to pay top dollar for The Kingston Trio, because she didn't know all the original members have long since died. She heard the songs, and can say, “I saw the Kingston Trio when they played at the Sunrise Theatre.”

Me? All the big stars come to town on the weekends, and I gig almost every weekend, so I don't get to see any. I guess it doesn't matter what I think, I'm not buying a ticket.

It's all about the money, and whoever owns the name, wants to make money from it. I don't have to agree.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

9 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

IMO, If you have bands like Frank Zappa & The Mothers, the Steve Miller Band, Elvis Costello and the Attractions Prince and the Revolution, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and others, where the leader is the attraction, it doesn't matter to me if the band members rotate, as long as the “star” is still alive. It's like the old Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, or Stan Kenton orchestras. But you can't cover those bands with a new leader.

Some bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were a unit, and IMO, replacing any of them would be a problem. The Rolling Stones have always been Mick and Keith, so changing the others isn't major – but I still think Brian Jones was a major contributor to their early work.

Jay and The Americans have had 3 Jays, the second one's real name was Dave and their biggest hits were recording by Dave.

Blood Sweat and Tears had Al Kooper as the first singer, then David Clayton Thomas, and most of their hits were by him.

To the average music consumer, it really doesn't matter if none of the original members are there, they want to hear the songs and be able to say, “I saw _______ in concert.”

So that lady I mentioned earlier was happy to pay top dollar for The Kingston Trio, because she didn't know all the original members have long since died. She heard the songs, and can say, “I saw the Kingston Trio when they played at the Sunrise Theatre.”

Me? All the big stars come to town on the weekends, and I gig almost every weekend, so I don't get to see any. I guess it doesn't matter what I think, I'm not buying a ticket.

It's all about the money, and whoever owns the name, wants to make money from it. I don't have to agree.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

They are called The Rolling Stones not the Mick Jagger Experience, or Mick And Keef. Brian was booted and they replaced him. Mick T left, guess what they replaced him. Bill left they used others, same with Charlie aka the Stones glue. Is it The Stones? Yes just the same as Gibson can call whatever they want a J-45, even if it’s RW back ‘n sides. The Stones are now Mick, Keef, Woody, and whoever they bring to be a hired gun.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Ahem.....

https://glennmillerorchestra.com/

What some of you have completely missed (IMO) is that people want the musical experience and don't mind who's in the band; maybe they missed the originals as they were too young or whatever, it is the MUSIC that lives on and matters most of all.  Wasn't the music the whole point of it anyway?   I realised this with the Australian Doors.  They looked the part, more or less, had all the correct gear and played all the classics back-to-back to rapturous audiences who wanted to see live Doors music.  

I am no fan of tribute bands but they keep a great many older musicians in the UK and Europe in work. [wink]

Edited by jdgm

15 hours ago, jdgm said:

I am no fan of tribute bands but they keep a great many older musicians in the UK and Europe in work. [wink]

Someone is always willing to pay for something.

Where I work we have Tribute bands at the Carolina Opry on a regular basis. This year alone we had fake Elton John, Queen, ABBA (from Sweden thanks Pinch), Eagles, Michael Jackson, Johnny Cash, Elvis, and a few others I can't remember. Next year we already booked Fake Carpenters, Phil Collins, Barry Manilow, Led - Zeppelin, and Johnny Cash again. I can see all of them for free, but I don't. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 10/30/2023 at 5:48 PM, rct said:

For the Gibson Senior Community Day Room, only McCartney can do that.

rct

I think Ringo did it best with his "All Star Traveling Band" tour. Invite big names from disbanded groups and showcase them with *inhouse musicains if you will.