Gibson Brands Forums

Here is an interesting vintage Les Paul for sale in my area. 1979 25/50 Anniversary

saturn

That's a lot of bling!

Say, I am struggling with the 25/50 Anniversary designation.
It appears that the model was made between 1978 and 1979 only.

But those years don't seem to align with either the anniversaries of the Les Paul or Gibson as a company.
1952 for the sale of the very first Gibson Les Paul guitars, and 1902 for the start of Orville Gibson's company.

Scratching my head.
🥲

Okay, I found the answer.

From one of many Reverb ads for that model (3,400 were produced between 1978 and 1979),
"The 25/50 model was issued to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Les Paul model and the 50th anniversary of Les Paul's career. "

Only  a year off from the first sales of the Les Paul,  and spot-on for the launch of the performer's musical career.
From Wiki:
"By age thirteen, Paul was performing semi-professionally as a country music singer, guitarist, and harmonica player."
He was born in 1915 and began making money performing his music in 1928, so that checks out.

Close enough for government work.

🙂

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1

An excellent example in superb condition by the look of it.

I've always wanted one of these since they first came out. Now they are getting harder to find and the price has gone shooting up over the last few years.

Most of the ones I see advertised are in worse condition and/or have been refretted or modded in some way.

Absolutely worth the money IMO as an investment if nothing else, but I bet it's a very fine instrument.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:57 AM, jdgm said:

An excellent example in superb condition by the look of it.

I've always wanted one of these since they first came out. Now they are getting harder to find and the price has gone shooting up over the last few years.

Most of the ones I see advertised are in worse condition and/or have been refretted or modded in some way.

Absolutely worth the money IMO as an investment if nothing else, but I bet it's a very fine instrument.

Right there with you… as a kid these were in every pawn shop and I’m sure you could have gotten a good one for about $2K

The one thing that always turned me off about these (aesthetically) is the headstock inlay. It’s a bit much but the split block inlays are beautiful. The one in this link has a really nice top