Gibson Brands Forums

When Was Brian May Ever A Gibson Guy?

build the kind of awe-inspiring, meticulous replicas that the Gibson Custom Shop and Murphy Lab are known for

Shoot me, now.

Just wang on it a little bit here with a rail road spike and then bang it over here a little bit with a hunka cinderblock and then into the freezer and then a little Brilo pad over here...

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

When I saw Queen in 1974 Brian had a Les Paul on a stand as a backup guitar.  I remember that quite clearly.

I have lots of their stuff. Never saw them sadly and never will.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:22 PM, SteveFord said:

build the kind of awe-inspiring, meticulous replicas that the Gibson Custom Shop and Murphy Lab are known for

They must pay their liars, I mean marketing guys well.

I believe the key word in the sentence is R E P l L C A S ! ! Like anything made that has a year attached to it that is not 2024 right now. No you don’t have a real ‘59. A few do most do not.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Cool, yeah I’m sure he played them here and there, but those were never his main axe. We all know it.

There must be 40 years between the old and newer pics. The rest Red Special.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have lots of their stuff. Never saw them sadly and never will.

I was quite lucky, the first live gig that I ever saw (my 'big sister' took me) was Mott the Hoople and they were supported by Queen. It was quite an eye-opener seeing this rather strange fellow prancing around the stage singing Hey Big Spender and Jailhouse Rock!

58 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

I was quite lucky, the first live gig that I ever saw (my 'big sister' took me) was Mott the Hoople and they were supported by Queen. It was quite an eye-opener seeing this rather strange fellow prancing around the stage singing Hey Big Spender and Jailhouse Rock!

My best friend always reminds me he saw Queen and Thin Lizzy on the same bill in '75 I think.  I didn't see T L either.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I never saw Queen. But my workmate Ken went to see Brian May at the Kings Theatre in Portsmouth (where I live). The next day he was buzzing. He'd met Brian backstage and showed me pictures of them together. Brian indulged and engaged with Ken. Brian is a generous and open fellow. Everybody says so. It must be true.

I like a few Queen songs but have never really been a fan. I never cared for BM's sound/tone nor his distinctive phrasing. He is a unique player though, and he is very good. My loss!

17 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I never saw Queen. But my workmate Ken went to see Brian May at the Kings Theatre in Portsmouth (where I live). The next day he was buzzing. He'd met Brian backstage and showed me pictures of them together. Brian indulged and engaged with Ken. Brian is a generous and open fellow. Everybody says so. It must be true.

I like a few Queen songs but have never really been a fan. I never cared for BM's sound/tone nor his distinctive phrasing. He is a unique player though, and he is very good. My loss!

Brian has a Ph.d in Astrophysics. He's smart a hell, and knows his way around a fretboard.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:42 PM, rct said:

That original guitar was from a fireplace, I do remember that.  Maybe.

rct

yep,  I remember reading that too. he & his Dad built the guitar from it. I think it was a pretty old fireplace too.