Gibson Brands Forums

New Jimmy Page Eds-1275 Custom Shop. Thoughts?

Dexcb

22 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Haha, I watched GIMME SHELTER from a YouTube concert, he first broke a string, restrung & tuned the guitar and started playing... I still keep thinking, it was a Grand Funk Railroad song originally. You know, some of us can't sing like even if nobody is around. Gotta have great respect for real artists like Michael Hedges!

Running Aerial Boundaries  ... 🤠

Gimme Shelter is a Stones song from Let It Bleed from ‘69. G F R covered it in ‘71.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I remember a red LP being done, and J L’s LP Jr with the Charlie Christian pickup too. So guitars with G on the headstock have been done by this come and go moderator.

Yup.. That was me...

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

You’re a mod? I was talking about Duane. Our conquering mod hero.

No.. I did several guitars and the first one I ever got paid for was to convert a 59 LP Junior to a John Lennon copy with the Charlie Christian pickup.

Duane has done some stuff like that too yes.

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

No.. I did several guitars and the first one I ever got paid for was to convert a 59 LP Junior to a John Lennon copy with the Charlie Christian pickup.

Duane has done some stuff like that too yes.

Ahhhhh.

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ahhhhh.

Still have the pics.

Started off like this.. 

3kiGS9k.jpg

and ended up like this, nitro finish an all.

RH0Rt9a.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thing about a doubleneck is -

1) It's HEAVY, maan

2) Whatever height you put it, one neck will always be in the wrong place

3) Lets face it - Page, Mclaughlin and maybe a couple other guys (Lifeson?) looked cool with one but most of us would...not.....

[laugh]

Edited by jdgm

16 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

When you re-tune strings on one neck, does it force you to re-tune the strings on the other one, too? 😅

18 strings, it’s an all day event. It looks like you need strings 5 inches longer than what is actually made.

• Haha 1

Just now, ghost_of_fl said:

Does it have a Gibson decal that smells a little like fried rice?

Lol... No, I did my own shape and my own headstock...  It also had custom made pickups from an old member (Searcy)...  

So do your Gibsons smell like fried rice?   

3 hours ago, Rabs said:

Lol... No, I did my own shape and my own headstock...  It also had custom made pickups from an old member (Searcy)...  

So do your Gibsons smell like fried rice?   

I didn’t do anything creative and it was so expensive to make a guitar. I swear there is no end to the finishing problems…

with that said I’ve got 5 neck blanks ready to go lol. I figure if I make 5 bolt ons maybe I’ll get something right once

having a fancy pants R9 is like waking up in silk sheets and you don’t really have much drive to attempt something competitive 

I gotta say the price tag is ridiculous but I’m a little bit surprised that none of us even seem really horned up by this thing??

Led Zep is far from being one of my favorite bands but Jimmy Page is like the patron saint of rock n roll. He has to be one of the greatest musicians of all time and he looked so freakin cool with the 1275. 

I literally can’t watch the song remains the same without crying because it’s so beautiful. Watching Jimmy play the 1275 is like idolatry. You could call it iconic.

Again the price tag is insane but holy **** this looks like a ****ing cool guitar

• Thanks 1

I look at this as a lawyer's wall hanger.

Retirement gift for an attorney (and Led Zep fan) hanging up his spurs, and settling down somewhere near Manassas, Virginia.

Can't actually picture a currently gigging musician seeing that for $50K and saying, "That exactly what I need to go on the road with next week."

😗

• Haha 1

All my guitar playing life there have been things I would like to have but can’t afford. That doesn’t mean the guitar is bad, I just can’t afford it. 

I can’t state strongly enough that I think the price is ridiculous but cmon this is a sweet axe and Jimmy truly looked and sounded amazing with his 1275

15 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

All my guitar playing life there have been things I would like to have but can’t afford. That doesn’t mean the guitar is bad, I just can’t afford it. 

I can’t state strongly enough that I think the price is ridiculous but cmon this is a sweet axe and Jimmy truly looked and sounded amazing with his 1275

Gibson doesn’t want you to afford it. That guitar is for collectors. End of story. It may get strummed once and put behind glass.

It said 50 being made. I’ll bet all have homes. 27 are going to Japan.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Recently Fender made a Ltd Production Custom Shop Rocky Strat. I think it was limited to 100 Guitars.. They sold for $25,000.00.. They sold out in a day.

There’s no shortage of people with Money!

Edited by Larsongs

On 3/15/2024 at 7:31 PM, sparquelito said:

I look at this as a lawyer's wall hanger.

Retirement gift for an attorney (and Led Zep fan) hanging up his spurs, and settling down somewhere near Manassas, Virginia.

Can't actually picture a currently gigging musician seeing that for $50K and saying, "That exactly what I need to go on the road with next week."

😗

Your right....and that  same retired Zep fan lawyer guy can only play the wipeout riff.....but not the whole song.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I guess Jimmy just didn't want to give up having 12 strings on some songs.  I think he put that monstrosity to good use here.  Plus look at the visual: 

He did, of course.  And a few others.

Ever used one?  Ever done one song, like that popular one from the guy above using a double neck?  Maybe Hotel Eaglefornia?

rct

Of all the live Zep I’ve ever heard, they never impressed me live. I think because 1, Jimmy multi-tracked so many guitars on most songs and he then had to chose what part to play live, so it’s just not quite right, and 2 they just didn’t sound good live. I have the DVD, CD, and I have the album of TSRTS. I also have the live album How The West Was Won. Both are official Zep live albums. They’re both awful I can’t listen to them the sound is pathetic. Maybe back in 71 - 73 they hadn’t figured out live recordings. I’ve heard Grateful Dead shows that were cleaner. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, rct said:

He did, of course.  And a few others.

Ever used one?  Ever done one song, like that popular one from the guy above using a double neck?  Maybe Hotel Eaglefornia?

rct

Don’t forget Alex (Lerxst) Lifeson with the white double neck on Xanadu (no not the cheesy movie Olivia Newton-John did and ELO did some of the soundtrack for). Seen Rush play that live about 6 times. I think if I remember correctly, Alex Lifson had a white one, and a red one, and he gave the red one as a gift, or sold it to somebody I can’t remember which.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1