Gibson Brands Forums

Reverb is starting to suck.

Reverb suspended a listing of mine the other day. It was for a guitar made in the style of a Les Paul. I did not say "Gibson", "Les" or "Paul" in the listing or description.  I stated clearly that it was an imported guitar and described it's attributes, not ONCE mentioning or implying that it was even a COPY of any guitar.  Reverb pulled it for copyright infringement. How? No headstock logo, no language suggesting it was anything other than a single cutaway electric guitar. I relisted it and it went under the radar this time and I sold it.

Today they suspended a listing for a Gibson Mark Series pickguard. It is new, in the original packaging. I said it was new. Because it G__ D____ is new. They suspended the listing because I am not an authorized Gibson dealer and therefore can't list Gibson parts as new.

I replied that they are starting to suck, and that I remembered when they started out as the underdog with about 200 total listings. Now they are just as bad as ebay and Facebook. 

It's a good thing my horse trading days are behind me. I could thin my guitar herd out by about 50% and not miss anything. But when that time comes, I might just consign with Gruhn's or similar.

Plus all their fees went up. They are more expensive than eBay. I've just sold guitars on eBay. 7% fee and got a 75% discount on FEDEX shipping. From KY to TX, $24. From KY to CA $44.

I remember when reverb was 3.5% and eBay was 5%. eBay dropped to 3.5% on musical instruments for a year or two and suddenly they BOTH shot up to 5%. Methinks there was a handshake out behind the dumpster. 

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I remember when reverb was 3.5% and eBay was 5%. eBay dropped to 3.5% on musical instruments for a year or two and suddenly they BOTH shot up to 5%. Methinks there was a handshake out behind the dumpster. 

Reverb did get expensive. I left ebay long ago.  There cash grab  was way to much. 

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

So its back to the car boot sale muddy field? 

Shame on Reverb.

(translation : boot = trunk)

I watch enough Brit TV to know that. I also know what a lift, gear (not amps and guitars), and a lorry is too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Greed is a tuff drug to kick. And they do it cause they can. Like charging 8k for new abused guitars. Hmmmm. Two peas in a pod. One you get mad at and one you tolerate

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Reverb suspended a listing of mine the other day. It was for a guitar made in the style of a Les Paul. I did not say "Gibson", "Les" or "Paul" in the listing or description.  I stated clearly that it was an imported guitar and described it's attributes, not ONCE mentioning or implying that it was even a COPY of any guitar.  Reverb pulled it for copyright infringement. How? No headstock logo, no language suggesting it was anything other than a single cutaway electric guitar. I relisted it and it went under the radar this time and I sold it.

Today they suspended a listing for a Gibson Mark Series pickguard. It is new, in the original packaging. I said it was new. Because it G__ D____ is new. They suspended the listing because I am not an authorized Gibson dealer and therefore can't list Gibson parts as new.

I replied that they are starting to suck, and that I remembered when they started out as the underdog with about 200 total listings. Now they are just as bad as ebay and Facebook. 

It's a good thing my horse trading days are behind me. I could thin my guitar herd out by about 50% and not miss anything. But when that time comes, I might just consign with Gruhn's or similar.

I saw your listing the other day. Your name is ksdaddy there too isn't it? I saw the name and thought, "that can't be a coincidence."

And I saw no reason at all for them saying you were infringing on any copyrights. I even thought about buying it. But I just don't need anymore guitars right now.

I thought you did a very good job of letting all buyers know that it was not a Gibson or any type of a copy at all.

Reverb does suck if they did that to you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, duane v said:

I no longer sell on Reverb. It's a big hassle now.

The last one I sold on Reverb, the guy said he was coming to the beach to visit a friend and could I meet him and he had cash. Yep, cause Reverb got 0 of my $. Went to the bank and made sure none of the bills were  fake, then handed over the guitar. Haven’t been there since.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 4/8/2024 at 7:57 PM, ksdaddy said:

They suspended the listing because I am not an authorized Gibson dealer and therefore can't list Gibson parts as new.

I don't think Reverb is behind that policy.... 

Yes if you list something as new you must be an authorized dealer. I think it stated that in all the descriptions of stuff: new, mint, vg, excellent, and for parts only.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Sadly what options does one have to sell their gear and get as much exposure as say Reverb gives a seller? Maybe eBay at best but even then, I know that is not where a lot of people turn to firstly to find used gear. Just going to have to deal with Reverb any way it comes until the fees become too unbearable. Even consignment at a local music shop costs more than it does to sell on Reverb, but of course doing extra work to ship and the like. I’ve read so many threads that Reverb sucks, eBay, CL… its just beaten to death

32 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Sadly what options does one have to sell their gear and get as much exposure as say Reverb gives a seller? Maybe eBay at best but even then, I know that is not where a lot of people turn to firstly to find used gear. Just going to have to deal with Reverb any way it comes until the fees become too unbearable. Even consignment at a local music shop costs more than it does to sell on Reverb, but of course doing extra work to ship and the like. I’ve read so many threads that Reverb sucks, eBay, CL… its just beaten to death

I don’t think Joe Bonamassa buys stuff from Reverb.

I have to give a company a certain percentage of what I make on my guitar just because I can post my picture on their site. And Reverb states you have to try to sell the guitar for what it’s worth. Why? Oh cause the more you get the more % they get. You can do it. I’m not. If it was a flat $10 or $15 dollar fee to post I would have no issue, but if I sell a guitar for $5000 they get $500 of it cause I  posted there? F Off.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don’t think Joe Bonamassa buys stuff from Reverb.

I have to give a company a certain percentage of what I make on my guitar just because I can post my picture on their site. And Reverb states you have to try to sell the guitar for what it’s worth. Why? Oh cause the more you get the more % they get. You can do it. I’m not. If it was a flat $10 or $15 dollar fee to post I would have no issue, but if I sell a guitar for $5000 they get $500 of it? F Off.

Most consignment shops with national exposure get 25%

eBay rates are below but the gimmick is the buyer pays the cost of item + taxes + shipping then eBay uses that as the total amount to charge a fee. The good thing is after the buyer pays a large shipping fee, eBay gets you a 50-75% discount that you get to keep.

• 6.35% on total amount of the sale up to $7,500 calculated per item
  • 2.35% on the portion of the sale over $7,500

18 minutes ago, Californiaman said:

I just wanted to say that a lot of things are starting to suck; except my vacuum cleaner.  It's in the shop.

I have an album by a band called, and this is how it’s spelled - Gaye Bykers On Acid. The song is called After Suck There’s Blow.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 4/9/2024 at 2:30 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I watch enough Brit TV to know that. I also know what a lift, gear (not amps and guitars), and a lorry is too.

Great, you've been educated, it won't be long before we can get you to spell colour correctly 🙂

15 hours ago, gearbasher said:

From Reverb:

Brand New

Products listed by authorized dealers that are unopened, new in box and are covered under the manufacturer’s original limited warranty.

Fair enough, but I think that criteria was changed at some point, as #1, I’ve sold a few “brand new” items on reverb before and their description was more generic, i.e. “new, unused and in the original packaging” with no mention of warranty or being a dealer. #2, had I known about this change I would have abided by it. Bad on me for not re-reading the rules every time I list something 😉 . I’m a scofflaw but if I’m picking the hill to die on, it will be more of a capital offense, so at least I get my name in the paper. 

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

Great, you've been educated, it won't be long before we can get you to spell colour correctly 🙂

He would labour greatly over that. Then he would need to go on holiday.

If we don’t like fees or rules, always Craigslist… no one is stopping anyone from starting up their own server and hosting a domain to list their used gear either. I wouldn’t want anyone to post their crap on my site for free either. I don’t advocate for any place, site, etc. just saying that it is what it is and what is one to do or one to go to for selling/buying used gear. Of course you could spend time scouring sites of shops that cater to used gear and see if they ship and the like. Just have to know what shops there are. I also have to think you make out better selling on say, Reverb than a trade in at any music store. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

4 hours ago, IanHenry said:

color

noun
  1. 1. 
    the property possessed by an object of producing different sensations on the eye as a result of the way the object reflects or emits light.
    "the lights flickered and changed color”

According to the internet which is never wrong I do.
Edited by Sgt. Pepper