Gibson Brands Forums

Message for the forum from JDGM

Rabs

I have been away the last 10 days....  But have been reading, just not logged in on my phone.

But needless to say this is great so far. Lets hope the rest of the procedures and treatments go just as well..

👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/8/2024 at 12:36 PM, mesho said:

Message from jgdm:

Hi, jdgm here, op done yesterday evening. Big success! They said it went very well. Will be in touch when home.

Hey John, (Via mesho), I am so happy that phase one of your process was successful!!!  Don't shy away from the pain killers the docs prescribe. My Dad, being "anti-narcotic",  tried to tuff it out, and regretted that decision. The human body apparently heals slower when it has to deal with excessive pain during recovery. His pain, unknowingly, reduced his ability/desire to eat and hydrate properly, (beyond the other autonomic healing responses pain hinders) and he lost consciousness due to being dehydrated on a trip to a Cubs game days after he was released from home recovery. 

Oh, fyi, people who are bada$$es never admit they are, nor do they turn to look at explosions as they walk away from them, (in slow motion.).  When I said that you are the Maestro, I was trying to let you know that it is imperative that you, (or your patient advocate), to understand every aspect of the procedures you are going to undergo. If any of these processes, and/or your doctor's explanation of said, seems at odds with your research, discuss your concerns openly with them. Many healthcare systems, including mine in the US, makes it difficult to get a covered "Second Opinion". Most patients feel obliged to blindly follow the course of treatment prescribed by a doctor who spends less one-on-one time with each of their multitude of patients, than we do at an ATM, (Cash machine).  I tend to be the person who does this for myself AND for my loved ones. After my ex wife came out of breast cancer surgery, I calmly asked her surgeon if the biopsy's of "the Margins" had come back clean before he "closed". He looked at me like a deer in the headlights. He fumbled to claim that, "He was sure he got it all.". He had waited till the "margin" biopsy's had been tested and returned from the hospitals lab, and her cancer came back 6 months later. I had done my research, an I knew how a proper breast cancer surgery was to be performed. I was prepared to ask him the pertinent post op questions, and I was able to institute a post operative screening procedure that would not have been considered without my knowledge of his negligence. We paid nothing for the second surgery, in lieu of litigation, and she is cancer free as of today.

14 years ago, my father was diagnosed with Prostate cancer. Although he was presented with multiple treatment options, he chose to go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, USA, and have his prostate removed by one of the top surgeons in the US. Some of the risks of this, by hand surgical procedure, are incontinence, erectile dysfunction, and reoccurrence of prostate cancer. Yet, my research indicated that another risk associated with this type of prostate surgery, was the surgeon's inadvertent laceration of the inferior vesical artery, especially during insertion of the drainage levin in the lower lateral abdomen. Despite the surgeon telling us Dad's surgery was successful, when his nurse asked him to stand up next to his bed the following morning, pints of blood poured from his levin onto the floor. The poor nurse was frozen in complete shock, as was my father. Because of my homework, I knew exactly what was happening, and simply took over. I got my Dad back into his bed and had the nurse raise his feet to maintain cerebral blood pressure. I had her completely open up his Saline IV to do the same. I then told her to do what ever was needed to open up an operating room immediately to repair a lacerated artery and get at least two liters of typed and crossed blood for my Dad there, while I packed Dads levin with 4x4's from the cabinet in his room.  I never hesitated with my commands, and she never questioned one of them. There was so much blood on the linoleum tiles under my Dad's bed, that I was having a hard time not slipping and falling. I had never seen that level of fear in my Dad's eyes, and I firmly told him that, "He would be fine because I'm here. And, if not, Mom would be set for life because she'd own this hospital.". He knew I wasn't kidding. His surgeon happened to be on rounds with about six of his surgical residence's, and they all entered the room as I was applying pressure to the levin to stop the hemorrhaging. I sternly explained to the surgeon that he had nicked the artery while placing the levin and that Dad had been bleeding internally for 14 hours post surgery. I estimated his blood loss and simply told him to look at the floor if he doubted me. I told him that an OR was being opened up and two liters of crossed and typed blood were being sent there. I explained that Dad's IV was "wide open" and that Dad had never lost consciousness and that he was aware of the situation. Time appeared compressed for both the surgeon and I, and I could see him processing what I had just told him. I then heard one of the surgical residence's tell another one to get some towels and wipe some of the blood off the floor around my feet. I sternly shot back that I needed "that" one to confirm the OR and the blood bank transfer, that I needed "that one", (referring to another surgical student there), to get another bag of saline and prep for transferring my Dad's bed down to the OR. As I began to order the third newbie surgical student to take action, my Dad's surgeon caught up mentally to the situation's reality, and began to bark orders to his remaining students as if he was continuing my current thought process. At that time, the original nurse who I had sent to the nurses' station came back in and relayed to the surgeon what had occurred and what she had ordered regarding the OR during her absence, confirming what I had told the surgeon. A few minutes later, once I felt things were somewhat under control, I excused myself from the room. I proceeded to enter the men's bathroom down the hall and puked my guts out. After gathering myself, I headed back to Dad's room. An army of doctors, nurses and staff were in the process of taking him to the OR. The first thing that was said to me was, "Thank goodness you were here Dr. Zick. Where do you practice?". Still a bit dizzy, I was confused by the question. My Dad, however, understood what they were asking, and it's implication. He answered for me, cool as a cucumber, "My son is not a doctor, he's the youngest liquor license holder in the City of Chicago, and he's smarter than every one of you combined.".  They all laughed, as if he was telling them a joke. The look on their faces when I confirmed his comment was priceless.  Remember, this was one of top three hospitals in the US, and one of the top 2 prostate surgeons in the US. Mayo Rochester is where people go when money, or insurance coverage concerns, is/are no object to them. The number of Canadian's we met there, who had socialized health coverage at home, who chose to pay out of pocket for Mayo's expertise because they could afford the best, were nearly half of the specialized care patients on Dad's floor. How the heck could a bar owner like me understand Dad's surgical risks, how to identify them, and the processes needed to remediate them better that his post op RN (registered nurse)? How was I able to bark commands in medical parlance that made complete sense to the highly educated Mayo staff, who then followed said without question? Because I studied every aspect of the surgical procedure my father was to undergo, including every surgical complication ever associated with it. I didn't need to learn about every surgery, every process a doctor/surgeon must learn. I just had to learn everything about Dad's surgery, which is way easier. Just like with my ex's cancer surgery, or my Dad's spinal fracture surgery, etc., etc., I only needed to absorb the minutia of one surgical procedure at a time. (and only when I needed to.) I have the utmost respect for Doctors, nurses, and medical staff. I simply do not trust anyone but myself to oversee/verify their actions and/or advocate for myself and my loved ones. In the US, approximately 251,000 people die each year from provable physician malpractice. That's over 6 times the total number of firearm fatalities per year here, including justifiable defensive uses of firearms. I have no blind faith in doctors. Thus I study the massive, publicly available, medical studies/papers/fatality inquests in order to communicate with medical professionals, in their own language, when/if necessary.  The "God complex" tends to run roughshod over laymen, but is fearful/respectful of the educated consumer unintimidated by perceived status.  This is what I meant by saying, "You are the Maestro!". If you are overwhelmed by this prospect, find someone close to you that can be. If no one feels they can fill this roll for you, then lay it on me. I'm used to it. 

I am so happy to hear that the removal of the vertebrae, and that the screws and replacement materials used to "replace it" had no adverse impact on your spinal cord. What a huge hurdle you have overcome. 

Always pay close attention to the recovery advice your post op nurses give give you, especially when it varies with the "boilerplate"  post op recovery instructions provided by your medical institution/physician. Those nurses give this advice based on massive amounts of real world experience, based specifically on cases they have experienced that are similar to yours. Doctors think they know what works as general advice for all patients, hospitals know what their lawyers/barristers see as legally shielded advice language protecting them from liability, and old school nurses know what actually works for each unique patient under their care.  

I hate to sound "preachy", and my advice should be seen as, "Take it or leave it.". I only say what I say based on my experiences, which are vastly more numerous than what I have detailed here. I do have an awesome resource to bounce ideas/questions off of. He is my oldest friend. His Father is my God Father. His late mother was my late mother's oldest childhood friend. My mom and dad set his parents up over 55 years ago. (I tell him that he owes his and his sister's existence to my parents, so he owes us. lol)   He happens to be one of the best trauma surgeons in the US, and his wife is one of the best research physicians in the country. He received a lot of press a year ago because he was the surgeon who led the procedure that saved Damar Hamlin, National Football League Defensive Safety for the Buffalo Bills.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damar_Hamlin   Hamlin literally died on the field in Cincinnati, Ohio, after a seemingly routine tackle of an opponent. Thanks to the quick action of the on field EMT's, and my friend, he is alive and well today. My friend is Dr. Timothy Pritts, Professor of Clinical Division, Division Chief of General Surgery at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine/UC Health.

https://med.uc.edu/depart/surgery/directory/faculty-profile/Index/Pubs/prittsta 

https://www.uchealth.com/en/provider-profiles/pritts-timothy-1194793786

I could bounce any questions or concerns you may have, off of Tim. If he can't answer your question, he'd find someone who could! Nothing like a free "Second opinion!". He has always been there for me and my family, just as we have always been there for him and his.

The time is now to start doing your homework about your next procedure, while you recover from that last one. Let me know how I my help you in any way I can, if you need me. Visualize your body healing, see your cells fixing what needs to be fixed. Your mind is far more powerful than most think it is. Be the Maestro!

Suck up the positive waves from your worldwide musical family, because we are pumping them out to you.

Love, C

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@Sheepdog1969 Now I understand. I am both humbled and completely horrified by your father's story. Beyond Belief. Now I understand.

My family (sisters and niece) have insisted I do take the drugs and I've got the point, yes I am doing that.

Once again, your story is horrific - the two top surgeons in America... my God. Thank you for this revelation and I will take or try and take ALL your advice.

My beautiful sister is typing this for me at the moment. I am having the worst most painful day since the op. My lower back is not the affected area but seems to be wondering what's going on, & is giving me considerable pain. I have another Dihydrocodeine to take tonight, and I have Diazepam as well. Believe me, I am going to take the drugs as per your and my family's good advice.

The back stuff is going to continue for a couple of months after which I become a cancer patient. There is also high intensity radio therapy/chemo/ immunotherapy. The back surgery was done in a different hospital, in London. The cancer treatment will start after the stitches in my back are removed, in 2 months time. That will be in a different hospital, nearer me. They will not confirm that I even have cancer (although there is a 90% chance) in the upper right lobe of my right lung without a biopsy. At that point if confirmed the treatment will commence. This is all I can tell you at the moment. I will listen, read, and certainly try and follow all of your advice. You can always PM me.

As I have said, I am dictating this because what you wrote was so incredibly powerful, important, and unexpected that I feel I must reply now.

Thank you again, now I understand your Maestro comments. Believe me, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

My very best wishes, I can't answer every day yet. I hope today is a blip, I am being as careful as possible because believe me, I want to stick around and I would like to meet you one day. I repeat, your story is incredible and more people should know about it. I am full of admiration and awe for your actions and presence of mind, I now understand why you researched so thoroughly.

I hope everyone looking at this topic reads your post and takes note as I have done. 

God Bless you, JDGM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi jdgm, hope the pain passes swiftly as your body adjusts following the surgery. Good that your family is insisting you take the pain meds - they really do help your recovery even if at sides you are not in pain. I was given similar advice and took every dose offered until I really felt fine throughout various heart related hospital admittances in last couple of years. Fentanyl, Oxycodone etc helped (though bizarrely I bad tripped on Valium).

That said, if they ever tell you they are giving you a drug called ‘impending doom’ buckle up - it does what it says on the can (I had 3 shots back to back in increasing doses [scared])

all the best for the weeks ahead, you are doing well mate.

• Like 2

I have been away for a few days and have caught up now. I feel overwhelmed by all of this. John, I hope you can be stronger than your pain and that it all eases ASAFP. 

Glad the op went well and I send my best wishes for the next bit too.

Stay with it mate. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 5:24 PM, 'Scales said:

Yep the artery thing as you say. I’m on Eliquis as I went into AF a few months after op…so it’s better safe in my case. Glad to hear it’s going well for you - I have not felt better in many years now the heart is only pumping in one direction![laugh]

I had AFib for a few weeks immediately after the surgery.  I’ve had two brief instances of AF in the last year.  The episodes usually one last a few minutes.  I was diagnosed with SVT back in 2020 and still take the lowest dose of metoprolol to help keep my heart rate from racing.  I can only imagine that it also helps control any potential issues with AF.

• Thanks 1

Hey JDGM,

Glad to hear your surgery went well.  I wish you a speedy recovery and good luck with your future treatments.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2024 at 4:41 AM, jdgm said:

They will not confirm that I even have cancer (although there is a 90% chance)

1. Until "they" confirm you have cancer, you don't have it. (Ever notice how young kids seem to never experience hard fall's while playing until some adult tells them about gravity? If that a$$ hole hadn't told them about gravity, those kids never would have fallen!)  Never visualize yourself with any malady until multiple professionals confirm it. If that happens, do what I do; I just visualize myself as being more lethal than cancer is. I simply imagine cancer going home and telling it's family that it was just diagnosed with "Sheepdog", and cancer's family all freak out. I'm the thing that is "incurable " and many people I know can confirm that! My Ex wife is a hypochondriac", and if anyone tells her, by phone, that they have the "flu", she somehow always comes down with it. Don't let your mind infect you! 

2. Your task is to get better, and responding to me, or anyone else here, is purely optional brother! I thank your sister, (and you), for spending your time responding to my suggestions/advice,  but I never expected a reply. Regarding my comments, they/I am not worthy of any of your efforts/energy expended on getting back to me.  Instead, use that energy to recover.

3.  I cannot  express the eminence healing/curative value that being surrounded by a loving family and caring friends has for those, like you, that fall ill. Embrace their love and compassion, and resist the natural urge to feel guilty/selfish about unconditionally accepting their adoration/compassion for you. Allowing their outpouring of love to envelop you, without question or guilt, is an awesome way of channeling their energy into healing. I know you can feel the energy they pump out. Don't ever waste it! Smart folks use multi-faceted solutions to solve complex problems. Why not use Medicinal, Medical, Wholistic, and Soulistic/Spiritual treatments, in combination, to attack your issues?

4. Your health care provider should have spoken with you about dietary changes that can amplify your recovery throughout your potential multi-phase treatment/curative process. Please understand that these dietary intake needs are just as multi-faceted as the other curative healing processes I described above. Since the myriad of new medicinal treatments you are being exposed to come with a myriad of new digestive complications, it is abundantly important to find nutritional/dietary food sources that not only counteract the unintended negative digestive complications that many medicinal treatments present, but also provide nutritional assistance required for your body to naturally fight illness.  Often, prescribed pain killers inadvertently result in constipation. Try to find natural fiber based food sources, combined with electrolyte rich hydration sources, that include vitamin rich components that will supplement the known vitamin depleting characteristics common with many medicinal treatments  whilst keeping you regular. (ask your doctors what each of their prescribed curative treatments will "suck out" of your body, and/or what they will inhibit your body from absorbing, regarding vitamins/nutrients.) Inquire what type of probiotic intake may be necessary, each day, to offset your natural "gut bacterial" loss due to the medications you have been prescribed. They say an Army marches on it's stomach. You, sir, march on your gut health. The crap they prescribe to fight post-op infection, or simply to fight some other crud in your body, has a tendency to kill the necessary bacteria in your gut required for you to digest your food! The inability of chronically ill individuals to effectively digest/absorb crucial nutrients, resulting from prescribed medicine(s) propensity to deplete their necessary digestive tract bacteria, exponentially decreases recovery rates for said individuals.  Don't become complacent! Every time they change your prescriptions, and/or every time they change  your med cocktail/course of treatment, you will need to change your dietary intake accordingly!  Find a nutritionist who specializes in your course of treatment(s).

I hope your migrating back pain has subsided, and I hope you are getting some real sleep, (including REM sleep/dreaming). If you are NOT dreaming when you sleep, please discuss this with your doctor. REM sleep is crucial for your recovery!

This too, shall pass, or as your countryman Ozzy once said, "No rest for the wicked", (or was that Shakespeare?).  

Love, C

• Thanks 1

Oh heck, now I remember, it was Gandalf that said, "None shall pass!",  and Ozzy who said, " Sharron, make me toad in the hole". 

Come to think of it, none of those quotes seem to apply.

• Haha 1

Sheepdog,  the quarter of a million who die annually due to medical malpractice - sounds outrageous.  And probably right.    I remember  25? years ago - doctors in California went on strike.  And the death rate in hospitals went down significantly.    I doubt anyone here doesn't have at least one  bad experience with hospitals, doctors and nursing.   Unfortunately, we have no choice. Fortunately, the care givers get it right most of the time.  With our extended family - we're batting around 95%, with no major issues. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

With our extended family - we're batting around 95%, with no major issues. 

My oldest friend, and the son of my God Father is an incredible physician. My love of science came from my awesome pediatrician, who took the time to honestly answer every childhood question I asked of him. I was physically sickened when I learned, (from publicly available  sources) that, on average, 251,000 deaths each year in the US were PROVEABLY CAUSED BY MEDICAL MALPRACTICE!!!  WTF????  When I brought this up with my doctor friends, I was fearful that I would be seen as insulting their profession. Surprisingly, they were the one's that demanded I do my research when any doctor recommended any course of treatment for me or my kin. My friends told me this number has always been under counted, and Caveat Emptor applies to medical services as well. As usual, don't believe me, look this data up yourself. Dear Lord, I wish it wasn't true!!

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2024 at 11:41 AM, jdgm said:

@Sheepdog1969 Now I understand. I am both humbled and completely horrified by your father's story. Beyond Belief. Now I understand.

My family (sisters and niece) have insisted I do take the drugs and I've got the point, yes I am doing that.

Once again, your story is horrific - the two top surgeons in America... my God. Thank you for this revelation and I will take or try and take ALL your advice.

My beautiful sister is typing this for me at the moment. I am having the worst most painful day since the op. My lower back is not the affected area but seems to be wondering what's going on, & is giving me considerable pain. I have another Dihydrocodeine to take tonight, and I have Diazepam as well. Believe me, I am going to take the drugs as per your and my family's good advice.

The back stuff is going to continue for a couple of months after which I become a cancer patient. There is also high intensity radio therapy/chemo/ immunotherapy. The back surgery was done in a different hospital, in London. The cancer treatment will start after the stitches in my back are removed, in 2 months time. That will be in a different hospital, nearer me. They will not confirm that I even have cancer (although there is a 90% chance) in the upper right lobe of my right lung without a biopsy. At that point if confirmed the treatment will commence. This is all I can tell you at the moment. I will listen, read, and certainly try and follow all of your advice. You can always PM me.

As I have said, I am dictating this because what you wrote was so incredibly powerful, important, and unexpected that I feel I must reply now.

Thank you again, now I understand your Maestro comments. Believe me, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

My very best wishes, I can't answer every day yet. I hope today is a blip, I am being as careful as possible because believe me, I want to stick around and I would like to meet you one day. I repeat, your story is incredible and more people should know about it. I am full of admiration and awe for your actions and presence of mind, I now understand why you researched so thoroughly.

I hope everyone looking at this topic reads your post and takes note as I have done. 

God Bless you, JDGM

Careful there. The dihydrocodeine is an opioid and diazepam is a bensodiazepine. They do not go well together. Talk to your doctor about that combo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 6:47 PM, Pinch said:

Careful there. The dihydrocodeine is an opioid and diazepam is a bensodiazepine. They do not go well together. Talk to your doctor about that combo.

Hello again at last,jdgm here. I have a tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard (should I keep that plugged into mains?), finally got all the passwords I need and am still in bed with some nasty rib pain. This is meant to get less agonising over the next 2 weeks, agonising beinb the right word.  I haven't figured out the new para key yet so this may be a bit of a read.     Firstly; Pinch, I agree with you and have asked to be taken Off dihydrocodeine which does not relieve my pain at all or help me sleep.  What it does do only too well give me very severe constipation. Yesterday I had fecal impaction and that was literally terrifying as well as unbearably painful.  Fortunately a very calm, professional district nurse came to help and now things are much much better.  If you can imagine a hard poo these siz of a soccer ball inside you, that's it.          As I sit/lie here my ribs aren't too bad but the pain is always there and very hard to deal with at night.    I have started to use my back to lean on and that's weird as I am certain I can feel the metal (they didn't install Windows 11, ho ho) and the rods, and wonder if I will always feel that.   There is now a growing consensus that I was released too early, so a few days in rehab would do me an awful lot of good.    The district nurses and local services have all swung into action and it has been - is fantastic.  There is also a What's App group here who are  fantastic and someone usually visits me every night.   One of them is a nurse and they have all been so incredibly kind that I have been moved to tears many times.  I like tears, in fact - for the most part.  There is still a long  road ahead but...I can walk!           How is ksdaddy doing?           Thanks again to ever one of you all and all my best wishes......more in days to come.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Hello again at last,jdgm here. I have a tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard (should I keep that plugged into mains?), finally got all the passwords I need and am still in bed with some nasty rib pain. This is meant to get less agonising over the next 2 weeks, agonising beinb the right word.  I haven't figured out the new para key yet so this may be a bit of a read.     Firstly; Pinch, I agree with you and have asked to be taken Off dihydrocodeine which does not relieve my pain at all or help me sleep.  What it does do only too well give me very severe constipation. Yesterday I had fecal impaction and that was literally terrifying as well as unbearably painful.  Fortunately a very calm, professional district nurse came to help and now things are much much better.  If you can imagine a hard poo these siz of a soccer ball inside you, that's it.          As I sit/lie here my ribs aren't too bad but the pain is always there and very hard to deal with at night.    I have started to use my back to lean on and that's weird as I am certain I can feel the metal (they didn't install Windows 11, ho ho) and the rods, and wonder if I will always feel that.   There is now a growing consensus that I was released too early, so a few days in rehab would do me an awful lot of good.    The district nurses and local services have all swung into action and it has been - is fantastic.  There is also a What's App group here who are  fantastic and someone usually visits me every night.   One of them is a nurse and they have all been so incredibly kind that I have been moved to tears many times.  I like tears, in fact - for the most part.  There is still a long  road ahead but...I can walk!           How is ksdaddy doing?           Thanks again to ever one of you all and all my best wishes......more in days to come.

Good to hear from you. I'm sure there are times in medicine when opioids and bensos are indicated together, but generally speaking they're a no-no together (respiratory depression). One or the other is generally safe.

Hang in there. A positive attitude is everything - I'm not just blowing sunshine up your arse when I tell you I've had relatives in with stage 4 cancers who are cancer-free decades later because they just... refused to die. The mind is one helluva thing, whatever the hell it is.

Hang in there. You're in all of our thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

I like tears, in fact - for the most part.

Agreed!

My father told me growing up, that men do cry. Just not for themselves.

Reading your posts, you're stronger than this. I can see it.

In my thoughts every day sir.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Just not for themselves.

Apparently he never met me. Then again it's not so much crying as a sort of combined whimpering and sneering.

🙂

Edited by Pinch
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jdgm said:

What it does do only too well give me very severe constipation. Yesterday I had fecal impaction and that was literally terrifying as well as unbearably painful.  Fortunately a very calm, professional district nurse came to help and now things are much much better.  If you can imagine a hard poo these siz of a soccer ball inside you, that's it.   

I am so sorry to hear about you going through that all to common issue. I had sent you another long winded reply last week which discussed that potential complication.

"Often, prescribed pain killers inadvertently result in constipation. Try to find natural fiber based food sources, combined with electrolyte rich hydration sources, that include vitamin rich components that will supplement the known vitamin depleting characteristics common with many medicinal treatments  whilst keeping you regular."

I had hoped that you, or one of your loved ones, would have been able to read my reply before you had to experience that "plumbing backup" yourself. I know you have a lot going on right now, (the understatement of the century), but my reply to you Thursday of last week addresses a number of common post-op digestive concerns that many people are unaware of, From my experience, medical professionals fail to fully detail and clearly relay post-op effects that relate to your digestive tract, and the appropriate preventative measures required to avoid/mitigate them.

A fecal impaction is well beyond the constipation commonly associated with pain killers. I'm guessing a number of factors contributed to this, with your pain meds starting the chain reaction, and the other issues each exponentially compounding it. (Strong pain killers in combination with dehydration, reduced/diminished "good gut bacteria/enzymes", diminished digestive tract muscle function associated with internal post-op swelling/bruising and the prescribed muscle relaxers, being in a supine/semi-supine lying recovery position for an extended period, and consuming a post-op diet lacking the volume of dietary fiber and probiotics required to counteract your current medicinal/medical realities, would be the most obvious combination of factors.)       

Maybe I should have sent my reply to you last Thursday, covering these digestive tract issues, to you via PM, but I know there many others here that could benefit from this info, if and/or when it may apply to them. If it is easier for you to access PM's containing detailed info like this, (and conversely use this link for our loving well wishes and your health updates, let me know.) If you, or a loved one, are reading this, but have yet to read my Thursday morning reply to you, please review it as it more fully discusses post-op digestive concerns. 

I wish for you better days and smooth sailing from here forward!

Love C 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Tman said:

Very best to you John.

TMAN!!!!!

What I'm having to deal with is mild and I'll get over it sooner or later, compared to you.

I really hope you are OK, and I was so very sorry to read your news. You have had the toughest and most testing of times. I also hope you stay in touch with Farns and @pippy.  I think both have left the forum now.  I live 8-10 miles from Guildford and we must all meet up and play one day.

Your post has made me very happy this morning, my very best wishes to you.

It is NOT nearly over yet.

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I am so sorry to hear about you going through that all to common issue. I had sent you another long winded reply last week which discussed that potential complication.

"Often, prescribed pain killers inadvertently result in constipation. Try to find natural fiber based food sources, combined with electrolyte rich hydration sources, that include vitamin rich components that will supplement the known vitamin depleting characteristics common with many medicinal treatments  whilst keeping you regular."

I had hoped that you, or one of your loved ones, would have been able to read my reply before you had to experience that "plumbing backup" yourself. I know you have a lot going on right now, (the understatement of the century), but my reply to you Thursday of last week addresses a number of common post-op digestive concerns that many people are unaware of, From my experience, medical professionals fail to fully detail and clearly relay post-op effects that relate to your digestive tract, and the appropriate preventative measures required to avoid/mitigate them.

A fecal impaction is well beyond the constipation commonly associated with pain killers. I'm guessing a number of factors contributed to this, with your pain meds starting the chain reaction, and the other issues each exponentially compounding it. (Strong pain killers in combination with dehydration, reduced/diminished "good gut bacteria/enzymes", diminished digestive tract muscle function associated with internal post-op swelling/bruising and the prescribed muscle relaxers, being in a supine/semi-supine lying recovery position for an extended period, and consuming a post-op diet lacking the volume of dietary fiber and probiotics required to counteract your current medicinal/medical realities, would be the most obvious combination of factors.)       

Maybe I should have sent my reply to you last Thursday, covering these digestive tract issues, to you via PM, but I know there many others here that could benefit from this info, if and/or when it may apply to them. If it is easier for you to access PM's containing detailed info like this, (and conversely use this link for our loving well wishes and your health updates, let me know.) If you, or a loved one, are reading this, but have yet to read my Thursday morning reply to you, please review it as it more fully discusses post-op digestive concerns. 

I wish for you better days and smooth sailing from here forward!

Love C 

I'm very glad to say (oh boy am I glad) that the problem was totally resolved with the incredibly calm and professional assistance of a highly experienced and reassuring district nurse. Took a couple of hours then....whoosh and more whoosh.  And I had a small pretty normal one this morning under my own steam - no laxative involved.

Forum members please excuse my graphic subject matter!

• Like 1