Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson to make the Red Special?

Rabs

“We have spoken about such things, and it would be lovely to have an edition of the Brian May guitar based in the States”: Brian May confirms Gibson-built Red Specials are on the cards | Guitar World

Brian May has confirmed that a Gibson Custom Shop/Murphy Lab recreation of his iconic Red Special electric guitar is firmly on the table.

In February, at the grand opening of the Gibson Garage UK, the Queen legend was surprise-announced as a new member of the Gibson family. 

The news swiftly led to intense speculation over what this meant not only for May himself, but also what the move meant for the Red Special.

May’s iconic six-string sidepiece has been a mainstay for his entire musical career. The rock veteran has remained fiercely loyal to the guitar he first built with his father all those years ago, and for the past 20 years has been selling mass-produced versions of it under his own brand, Brian May Guitars.

At the time of the Gibson Garage UK opening, Guitar World theorized the new partnership could usher in a new breed of Red Special replicas – an awe-inspiring, meticulous tonal and visual recreation of the guitar fashioned under the watchful eye of the Gibson Custom Shop and Murphy Lab.

Gibson’s credentials for doing the job are evident. Over the years, the Custom Shop and Murphy Lab have recreated Kirk Hammett’s Greeny Les Paul, Jimmy Page’s EDS-1275 double-neck, and Jason Isbell’s 'Red Eye', to name a few.

Well, as May reveals in the new issue of Guitar World, such theories are correct, and a Murphy Lab Red Special could indeed become a reality.

“It’s not out of the question,” May responds when asked about the replica. “We have spoken about such things, and it would be lovely to have an edition of the Brian May guitar based in the States. After all, that’s where I started with Guild. 

“Guild made the first Brian May models, and then I went with Burns in [the UK]. And then things changed, and I just wanted to do it myself. Now we have our own Brian May Guitars company here, but to have the facility to have some made in the States would be wonderful.”

As May mentions, he did previously work with Guild and Burns to build licensed replicas of the Red Special, but it’s been more than two decades since a Red Special outside of the BMG umbrella was launched.

Now, it seems as though May is readying for another high-end replica that could go one step beyond the current crop of BMG models, and give guitar fans the most realistic recreation of the original Red Special to have ever been built.

“The Gibson Garage is great,” May continues of his grand unveiling. “Some people were saying, ‘Well, what the hell are you doing at Gibson? You’ve got your own guitar company.’ But actually, I have a great relationship with [Gibson] now.”

Since the first part of the theory is coming to fruition, just how far can we expect the Gibson/May partnership to go? If Gibson stays true to its trickle-down release schedule, it's possible a standard USA version may arrive shortly after.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rabs said:

May continues of his grand unveiling, “Some people were saying, ‘Well, what the hell are you doing at Gibson? You’ve got your own guitar company.’ 

Sage.

Um him and his dad made that guitar by hand if I’m not mistaken. So not a Gibson of any kind.

Two Words 

Cash

Grab

One more word

Greed

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Rabs said:

“We have spoken about such things, and it would be lovely to have an edition of the Brian May guitar based in the States”: Brian May confirms Gibson-built Red Specials are on the cards | Guitar World

Brian May has confirmed that a Gibson Custom Shop/Murphy Lab recreation of his iconic Red Special electric guitar is firmly on the table.

In February, at the grand opening of the Gibson Garage UK, the Queen legend was surprise-announced as a new member of the Gibson family. 

The news swiftly led to intense speculation over what this meant not only for May himself, but also what the move meant for the Red Special.

May’s iconic six-string sidepiece has been a mainstay for his entire musical career. The rock veteran has remained fiercely loyal to the guitar he first built with his father all those years ago, and for the past 20 years has been selling mass-produced versions of it under his own brand, Brian May Guitars.

At the time of the Gibson Garage UK opening, Guitar World theorized the new partnership could usher in a new breed of Red Special replicas – an awe-inspiring, meticulous tonal and visual recreation of the guitar fashioned under the watchful eye of the Gibson Custom Shop and Murphy Lab.

Gibson’s credentials for doing the job are evident. Over the years, the Custom Shop and Murphy Lab have recreated Kirk Hammett’s Greeny Les Paul, Jimmy Page’s EDS-1275 double-neck, and Jason Isbell’s 'Red Eye', to name a few.

Well, as May reveals in the new issue of Guitar World, such theories are correct, and a Murphy Lab Red Special could indeed become a reality.

“It’s not out of the question,” May responds when asked about the replica. “We have spoken about such things, and it would be lovely to have an edition of the Brian May guitar based in the States. After all, that’s where I started with Guild. 

“Guild made the first Brian May models, and then I went with Burns in [the UK]. And then things changed, and I just wanted to do it myself. Now we have our own Brian May Guitars company here, but to have the facility to have some made in the States would be wonderful.”

As May mentions, he did previously work with Guild and Burns to build licensed replicas of the Red Special, but it’s been more than two decades since a Red Special outside of the BMG umbrella was launched.

Now, it seems as though May is readying for another high-end replica that could go one step beyond the current crop of BMG models, and give guitar fans the most realistic recreation of the original Red Special to have ever been built.

“The Gibson Garage is great,” May continues of his grand unveiling. “Some people were saying, ‘Well, what the hell are you doing at Gibson? You’ve got your own guitar company.’ But actually, I have a great relationship with [Gibson] now.”

Since the first part of the theory is coming to fruition, just how far can we expect the Gibson/May partnership to go? If Gibson stays true to its trickle-down release schedule, it's possible a standard USA version may arrive shortly after.

Rabs,

I don't know about anyone else, but after reading about this, I've regained the will to live.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

I don't know about anyone else, but after reading about this, I've regained the will to live.

RBSinTo

LOL!  Just think what this is doing for Brian!!! 

• Haha 1

Actually I dont find this so crazy..  Because Brian made it with his dad and its his guitar, he can do what he wants and is not tied to anyone, which makes him and his red speical pretty unique in the guitar world.

Gibson as we know have a load of expensive tools for measuring and copying guitars so its not that much of an unusual thing if he wants the best company to do the most authentic replica. Especially if they now have this thing of selling signature guitars for 50k and it seems to work..  BMGuitars wouldnt ever have a chance of achieving that much I dont think.

So I reckon its gonna be like a Greeny deal where you buy the guitar and go for a meet and greet type thing.

There is also one other thing, which is that he was known to play a LP as a backup guitar. There are pictures of him on stage with one. Maybe they are gonna do a copy of that?

Ironic, so much of my much younger, former life was wrapped up in the search for his tone… not me so much, but my band friends. We’d spend weekends scouring the stores for pedals, pick-ups, amps, modifications… never could nail it exactly right.  

So of course life moved on, and I got out of that world and did a 180 into acoustic/folk/blues.  It wasn’t until this thread I had any idea BMG were even a thing.  I was surprised how inexpensive they were.  Just for a second thought about buying one, just for the nostalgia of it and to put a pin in that chapter 😆

following a lifetime of chronic insomnia, I just might sleep well tonight

sh!t that was a mean thoughtless & selfish sentiment to express. I apologise Rabs. I know Brian is a truly great guy and genuine too. I hope it does him some good. I'm sure there will be takers for a Gibson Big Red as well.

Edited by merciful-evans
remorse
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

following a lifetime of chronic insomnia, I just might sleep well tonight

sh!t that was a mean thoughtless & selfish sentiment to express. I apologise Rabs. I know Brian is a truly great guy and genuine too. I hope it does him some good. I'm sure there will be takers for a Gibson Big Red as well.

Im used to it on this forum  😄  

But yeah, of all people to be skeptical of in the music business he generally seems like a pretty grounded guy. So Gibson came to him and said hey, we have an idea (or maybe seeing the other high end sig models he went to them?). Produce a limited number of high end replicas as there is certainly a market for it we all make money, and some super fans who have the money will be happy.. I mean I doubt Brian is bothered about the money which would lead me to think he is actually doing it for the fans.

I donno, none of us do really. But its not the worst thing I have ever heard even if it is a bit odd.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Didn’t another company already make replicas of his Big Red?

There have been three companies that have made authorized Red Specials that I'm aware of. Guild, Burns, and Brian May Guitars. 

4 hours ago, Rabs said:

There is also one other thing, which is that he was known to play a LP as a backup guitar. There are pictures of him on stage with one. Maybe they are gonna do a copy of that?

While Sir Brian has used the Red Special as his primary guitar for many years, it's certainly not the only guitar he's ever owned or used, whether live or in the studio. One example is the Tele he used for the solo on Crazy Little Thing Called Love. 

While I can't divulge what we are or are not going to be releasing, I can tell you that the first guitar - and so far, the only guitar that I personally know about that is in development - is not a Red Special.  That doesn't mean we won't be making one eventually. I honestly do not know either way. 

And no, before anyone asks, it's not a Tele, either. 😄

10 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

While Sir Brian has used the Red Special as his primary guitar for many years, it's certainly not the only guitar he's ever owned or used, whether live or in the studio. One example is the Tele he used for the solo on Crazy Little Thing Called Love. 

While I can't divulge what we are or are not going to be releasing, I can tell you that the first guitar - and so far, the only guitar that I personally know about that is in development - is not a Red Special.  That doesn't mean we won't be making one eventually. I honestly do not know either way. 

And no, before anyone asks, it's not a Tele, either. 😄

Well the ones I know he is associated with are the SG, Flying V and LP (deluxe I think)...  

LUeE0t7.jpg

Kn6Fa8l.jpg

767MF5j.jpg

7XIJLWV.jpg

rG3E3ht.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rabs said:

Well the ones I know he is associated with are the SG, Flying V and LP (deluxe I think)...  

LUeE0t7.jpg

Kn6Fa8l.jpg

767MF5j.jpg

7XIJLWV.jpg

rG3E3ht.jpg

None of those are The Red one he’s known for. So if they are going to replicate his famous guitar he made it’s that wasn’t a Gibby, I think most here think that’s silly.

On 6/14/2024 at 5:36 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Um him and his dad made that guitar by hand if I’m not mistaken. So not a Gibson of any kind.

Two Words 

Cash

Grab

One more word

Greed

If there's demand, no self-respecting business will turn down an opportunity.
Besides, what's wrong with making a buck or two on the side? 😎

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

None of those are The Red one he’s known for. So if they are going to replicate his famous guitar he made it’s that wasn’t a Gibby, I think most here think that’s silly.

Well maybe. But its not exactly a crime against humanity...  Its more of how can they make more super expensive signature models which is the way Gibson have been going for a while now. It should hardly come as a surprise at this stage like after Slash was seen playing a 335 once and then theres a signature model.

Maybe next we will get a Marty Mcfly 335  😄   

• Haha 2

On 6/15/2024 at 6:51 AM, Rabs said:

Maybe next we will get a Marty Mcfly 335  😄   

I just recently learned during production of the movie, someone (Norm Harris?) actually pointed out to the directors of Back to the Future that a Gibson ES-345 didn't exist in 1955, but apparently, they wanted to use one anyway since they felt they had "creative license" to do so. That inaccuracy is one of the few things that has always bugged me about an otherwise quite enjoyable trilogy. 

Found it - here's where I saw that:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/back-to-the-future-fender-strat-instead-of-gibson-es-345