Gibson Brands Forums

How many guitars does a guitarist need?

I have about 15 now, and a couple of basses. 

I got by with one electric and one acoustic for 35 years and could do again. Probably will too. I'm now starting to lose my left pinky as well as the thumbs. 

I'll eventually just have one simple electric and a slide wired to my useless left, and I'll pick it with my nose. 

I played out live for 28 years before I retired from gigging.

When  I was gigging, I only had about 6 guitars.

When I stopped playing, I had a lot of time to look at FBMP, CL, and pawnshops for guitars.

Over the years since 2009 I bought and sold over 80+ guitars.

As of now I’ve gotten it down to a semi manageable 40+ guitars/basses/acoustics.

Since I don’t gig out anymore, I don’t really need this many instruments, but I really love buying and owning guitars.

Here’s my collection 

'49 Martin A Style Mandolin
'76 S.L. Mossman Great Plains
'78 Gibson Gospel
'81 Martin 7-28 ( 7/8 D-28 )
‘81 Sigma DM3
‘02 Taylor Baby
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

Electric Guitars & Basses :

‘63 Gibson ES-330 w/ Bigsby
‘72 Fender Tele Custom
‘74 Fender Sunburst Jazz Bass
‘75 Fender Mocha Stat
‘76 MIJ Electra X-310
‘77 Gibson Walnut RD Custom
‘78 Fender Natural P-Bass
‘79 Fender Antigua Strat
‘80 Gibson Jimmy Wallace ‘58 “Prototype LP
‘80 Gibson Cream Explorer
‘83 Gibson Cherry ES-335 Dot
‘86 MIJ Fender ‘69RI Pink Paisley Yele
‘87 Fender Sunburst (E4) Strat
‘88 PRS Goldtop Special
‘89 Gibson HCSB LP Standard
‘90 MIJ Fender Black’50’s RI Strat
‘90 Fender Pewter Strat Plus
‘90 Fender Black Strat Plus
‘90 Fender Ebony Frost Strat Plus
‘90 MIJ Fender Vintage White P-Bass
‘90 MIK Epiphone Sunburst Sheraton II

’94 PRS Goldtop Standard 25
‘95 PRS Purple Custom 24 10-Top
‘99 Tom Anderson Cajun Red Hollow Drop Top Classic
‘00 Gibson Trans Amber Classic Premium Plus LP
‘01 Gibson Black LP Jr.
‘02 Gibson Trans Amber DC LP
‘03 Tom Anderson Tiger Eye Hollow T Drop Top HSH
‘03 MIJ Epiphone Black Elite LP Custom
‘08 Gibson Wine LP Standard Plus
‘09 PRS Sunburst DGT 10-Top
‘10 Fender Olympic White Standard Strat
‘15 Suhr Sherwood Metallic Classic Pro Strat
‘15 Fender Surf Green Tele
‘18 Rohlack Custom Fiesta Red Strat
‘20 Fender Black Jim Root Jazzmaster

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 2:46 AM, Texsunburst59 said:

When I stopped playing, I had a lot of time to look at FBMP, CL, and pawnshops for guitars....

Since I don’t gig out anymore, I don’t really need this many instruments, but I really love buying and owning guitars.

Here’s my collection... 

Okay Texsunburst59, this is a good collection and interesting information about the guitars you used during your performances. You are probably a practical person who is not influenced to spend a lot of time buying and searching for many guitars for musical activities.
So, we can focus even more and not take into account collecting, it is a completely different lifestyle and other interests. Now is the era of computers and home studios, this is another type of musical activity at the present time. Let's say you're working on your album on your computer. The guitar recording plays an important role here, rather the main one. And how many guitars will be required in this case? Here you certainly won't be jumping from one style to another, but rather working in one specific style. And yes, most likely 5 or 6 guitars will be enough. It seems like one Stratocaster was enough for Ritchie Blackmore to convince his Deep Purple comrades to switch to hard rock [thumbup] since their Deep Purple In Rock album.

Returning to acoustic guitars, I’ll probably show you the mentioned video of Pete Thorn again. Of course, he is here as a guitar endorser. But it’s interesting that when recording, as he said, his Acoustasonic Strat was plugged straight into the UA (Universal Audio) interface, i.e., no an amp and cabinet, as I understood (since 3.16 min).

I bought a new Ibanez electric guitar (Indonesia), solid body and slim version. It is quite light in weight, now it is far away in Crimea, my second home. I'll be there in August and put in it my humbuckers (with low impact on the strings). And I’ll probably make a test recording, also straight into my audio interface and computer. Let's see what happens, if successful, I'll show you.

On 6/21/2024 at 11:42 AM, Jim H said:

You can probably get by with one electric guitar if you have push/pull pots, a good set of humbuckers  and a decent sound processor. 

My Parker (custom stop) has Duncan P-Rail pickups. They can sound like P90s, Rails, Series Humbuckers and Parallel Humbuckers. Plus, there is a piezo under the bridge that can be blended with the mag pickups.

It is a “Swiss Army Knife” of guitars.

But since I gig for a living, and the show must go on, I need two guitars. 

A third on, an acoustic, is nice, so I can practice without plugging in.

Anything else isn't need, it's want.

Of course, everybody's needs are different.

I've never been much of an instrument collector. If I spend $2k on a new guitar, it's a cut in pay. It'll take a few gigs to pay that guitar off, and I can't play more than one at a time. Same for saxophones, a tenor and a spare - just in case.

Notes ♫

On 6/22/2024 at 5:46 PM, Texsunburst59 said:

When I stopped playing, I had a lot of time to look at FBMP, CL, and pawnshops for guitars.

As of now I’ve gotten it down to a semi manageable 40+ guitars/basses/acoustics.

Here’s my collection 

'78 Gibson Gospel
‘81 Sigma DM3
‘02 Taylor Baby
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom

‘72 Fender Tele Custom
‘75 Fender Mocha Stat
‘76 MIJ Electra X-310
‘79 Fender Antigua Strat
‘88 PRS Goldtop Special

‘01 Gibson Black LP Jr.

What - no Gretsch? Blasphemous!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Valeriy said:

Okay Texsunburst59, this is a good collection and interesting information about the guitars you used during your performances. You are probably a practical person who is not influenced to spend a lot of time buying and searching for many guitars for musical activities.
So, we can focus even more and not take into account collecting, it is a completely different lifestyle and other interests. Now is the era of computers and home studios, this is another type of musical activity at the present time. Let's say you're working on your album on your computer. The guitar recording plays an important role here, rather the main one. And how many guitars will be required in this case? Here you certainly won't be jumping from one style to another, but rather working in one specific style. And yes, most likely 5 or 6 guitars will be enough. It seems like one Stratocaster was enough for Ritchie Blackmore to convince his Deep Purple comrades to switch to hard rock [thumbup] since their Deep Purple In Rock album.

Returning to acoustic guitars, I’ll probably show you the mentioned video of Pete Thorn again. Of course, he is here as a guitar endorser. But it’s interesting that when recording, as he said, his Acoustasonic Strat was plugged straight into the UA (Universal Audio) interface, i.e., no an amp and cabinet, as I understood (since 3.16 min).

I bought a new Ibanez electric guitar (Indonesia), solid body and slim version. It is quite light in weight, now it is far away in Crimea, my second home. I'll be there in August and put in it my humbuckers (with low impact on the strings). And I’ll probably make a test recording, also straight into my audio interface and computer. Let's see what happens, if successful, I'll show you.

So why are you so hung up on this?  The needed number of guitars is a vacuous, meaningless self-serving argument.  

Just because you feel you have come to a great revelation about the correct number of guitars and which builds are the be-all, doesn’t mean diddly to everyone else who feels differently than you do.  You do not have the mountain cornered on enlightenment. 

Some folks even have a hybrid and still have other guitars, because hybrids can’t lap the real deals, especially on the acoustic side not plugged in.   They are handy, but are not true replacements, unless you don’t really care about subtle nuances of tone, playability, volume, and response.  

We could all still be strumming on mandolins and cigar boxes.  Gosh, why did Gibson or Martin even bother to start building guitars, much less refine and expand their lines for over the last century and a half?  Maybe because players were looking for/needing variety? 

Really, what’s your goal here? Are you truly expecting folks to go, “oh, gee, Valerly says I don’t really need all these” and ditch the overage? Or are you trying to dissuade naive lambs from venturing down the dark alley of  overconsumption with your declaration.  

You already have plenty of responses showing that everybody plays, uses, and enjoys their instruments for as many reasons as there are people with fingers. 

Why don’t you go ahead and do you and play your heart out.  That is what matters.  

Everyone else will happily carry on doing what they do.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 7:46 PM, Texsunburst59 said:

Here’s my collection 

'78 Gibson Gospel
‘81 Sigma DM3
‘02 Taylor Baby
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom

‘72 Fender Tele Custom
‘75 Fender Mocha Stat
‘76 MIJ Electra X-310
‘79 Fender Antigua Strat
‘88 PRS Goldtop Special

‘01 Gibson Black LP Jr.

Well as long as we are showing off.

2013 Martin 000-28

2020 Martin 000-18

1995 Fender Am. Std. Jazz Bass with Warmoth Maple Neck

2018 Kala Tenor Uke

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

So why are you so hung up on this?  The needed number of guitars is a vacuous, meaningless self-serving argument.  

Just because you feel you have come to a great revelation about the correct number of guitars and which builds are the be-all, doesn’t mean diddly to everyone else who feels differently than you do.  You do not have the mountain cornered on enlightenment. ...

Really, what’s your goal here? Are you truly expecting folks to go, “oh, gee, Valerly says I don’t really need all these” and ditch the overage? Or are you trying to dissuade naive lambs from venturing down the dark alley of  overconsumption with your declaration.  

You already have plenty of responses showing that everybody plays, uses, and enjoys their instruments for as many reasons as there are people with fingers. 

Why don’t you go ahead and do you and play your heart out.  That is what matters.  

Everyone else will happily carry on doing what they do.  

PrairieDog, the very fact that some guitarists buy so many guitars, 500 or more, and some, on the contrary, only have 5 or 6, I found this interesting. Of course, this is already called GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome), but the reasons for this syndrome are also interesting. My guess, as I said, the reason may lie in the shortcomings of the magnetic pickups.

Further, there is another reason to pay attention to this. As I said, the era of computers and home studios has now begun, especially in the last 5 years, all programs for record, computer technology have improved significantly. So, home studios now have the same modern computers and software as professional studios. However, recording an electric guitar is still quite difficult at home, I mean with good studio quality, since guitar player needs to use combo amp cabinets at high volumes and microphones, which is inconvenient. Honestly, this is somehow no longer modern (against the backdrop of advanced computer technologies). In turn, now many musicians try to record guitar in their home studios, spending a lot of time and effort.  I.e., progress in recording is obvious, but the electric guitar has remained at the level of the 50s, in fact. And this is a clear contradiction in my opinion

And of course, I’ll be happy to play my know-how guitar [rolleyes]. I offered my pickup development to both Gibson and Fender, but so far to no avail. I'm currently working on my album and spending some time learning recording software.  Wish You Were Here, I once shown this, version for guitar, maybe someone will be interested in playing it, there are no difficult passages here, but it sounds beautiful.  There is nothing new yet, maybe it will be in the fall.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16s_p9-jKjcI2_-C841ngW_1sDsFFTw5X/view

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Valeriy said:

PrairieDog, the very fact that some guitarists buy so many guitars, 500 or more, and some, on the contrary, only have 5 or 6, I found this interesting. Of course, this is already called GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome), but the reasons for this syndrome are also interesting. My guess, as I said, the reason may lie in the shortcomings of the magnetic pickups.

Further, there is another reason to pay attention to this. As I said, the era of computers and home studios has now begun, especially in the last 5 years, all programs for record, computer technology have improved significantly. So, home studios now have the same modern computers and software as professional studios. However, recording an electric guitar is still quite difficult at home, I mean with good studio quality, since guitar player needs to use combo amp cabinets at high volumes and microphones, which is inconvenient. Honestly, this is somehow no longer modern (against the backdrop of advanced computer technologies). In turn, now many musicians try to record guitar in their home studios, spending a lot of time and effort.  I.e., progress in recording is obvious, but the electric guitar has remained at the level of the 50s, in fact. And this is a clear contradiction in my opinion

And of course, I’ll be happy to play my know-how guitar [rolleyes]. I offered my pickup development to both Gibson and Fender, but so far to no avail. I'm currently working on my album and spending some time learning recording software.  Wish You Were Here, I once shown this, version for guitar, maybe someone will be interested in playing it, there are no difficult passages here, but it sounds beautiful.  There is nothing new yet, maybe it will be in the fall.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16s_p9-jKjcI2_-C841ngW_1sDsFFTw5X/view

Ahh, so what you have actually figured out is the correct number of guitars for a guy who likes playing his music alone to a computer.  

For me, I like to play my various guitars with/for other human beings.  Computer? Heck, I don’t even need electricity to jam an acoustic set.  But it is nice to have different acoustic guitars to get different sounds depending on the song.  

And how tedious to have to dial in a model when you want to change up a break in a song, when you could just stomp on a pedal or flick a switch.  And then there’s all the time you need to spend pre-programming the hundreds/thousands of sound combinations you “might” want to have available, that you could access simply switching up different guitars.  Not to mention having to remember where all the sounds are in your controller.  

Some of us who grew up in the analog era, find the tedium of the pure flat sound of digital cloning wearisome, even when it is modulated to “mimic” live performance.  If you grew up accustomed to ubiquitous pitch-tuning, you might not appreciate the character and depth that comes from a natural human voice or instrument pitching a fraction off from each other, and the interesting, intrinsic vagaries that come out in a raw, live performance even when recorded.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Ahh, so what you have actually figured out is the correct number of guitars for a guy who likes playing his music alone to a computer.  

For me, I like to play my various guitars with/for other human beings.  Computer? Heck, I don’t even need electricity to jam an acoustic set.  But it is nice to have different acoustic guitars to get different sounds depending on the song.  

And how tedious to have to dial in a model when you want to change up a break in a song, when you could just stomp on a pedal or flick a switch.  And then there’s all the time you need to spend pre-programming the hundreds/thousands of sound combinations you “might” want to have available, that you could access simply switching up different guitars.  Not to mention having to remember where all the sounds are in your controller.  

Some of us who grew up in the analog era, find the tedium of the pure flat sound of digital cloning wearisome, even when it is modulated to “mimic” live performance.  If you grew up accustomed to ubiquitous pitch-tuning, you might not appreciate the character and depth that comes from a natural human voice or instrument pitching a fraction off from each other, and the interesting, intrinsic vagaries that come out in a raw, live performance even when recorded.  

You nailed it PD. I started playing in 1970 so it was tube amps or acoustic guitars. I can't count the times I've tried to use computer modeling to attempt to recreate the tones I can get from my '68 Deluxe Reverb and it never ever works. When the power goes out I grab my OM-28 and am happy as a pig in mud. Like I said above, give me my 335, Tele and the OM and I can do anything I want on a guitar.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

You nailed it PD. I started playing in 1970 so it was tube amps or acoustic guitars. I can't count the times I've tried to use computer modeling to attempt to recreate the tones I can get from my '68 Deluxe Reverb and it never ever works. When the power goes out I grab my OM-28 and am happy as a pig in mud. Like I said above, give me my 335, Tele and the OM and I can do anything I want on a guitar.

Nod, we got one of those small Fender amps with 100 different models programmed into it for the Lucille.  And our recording set up has 1,000s of pre-programs.  Yeah, the models were  fun to scroll through, but the tube modelers are just failures.  Tubes changed tone constantly as you warmed them up and drove them through a set and depending on the humidity/air pressure, etc.  The modeled digital versions all just sat there straight-line flat, the same tone from start to finish.  Boring.   

Edited by PrairieDog

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Nod, we got one of those small Fender amps with 100 different models programmed into it for the Lucille.  And our recording set up has 1,000s of pre-programs.  Yeah, the models were  fun to scroll through, but the tube modelers are just failures.  Tubes changed tone constantly as you warmed them up and drove them through a set and depending on the humidity/air pressure, etc.  The modeled digital versions all just sat there straight-line flat, the same tone from start to finish.  Boring.   

You can't get "touch" out of a computer model or transistors. No soul. Like Taylor and PRS guitars IMO.

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

PrairieDog, you probably didn't understand me quite correctly. I have no problem recording guitar. At least I'm glad about my guitar on record and live. I said I'm learning recording software, that doesn't apply to guitar. There are other things, I meant, in particular mixing, mastering, some additional instruments, in particular, drums, keyboards, strings, also some effects, etc. And here there are some tricks.  I'm not into modeling guitar sounds. I know there are various software simulators, but this is not my thing.

As for acoustic sound, it has its drawbacks, which are not present in electric ones, in particular, in the electric version there are no problems making a beautiful sound for bass strings, or just making it louder. I.e., there is no need to have multiple guitars for different venues or hall like there is with acoustic guitars where there is dreadnought/jumbo bodied acoustics.
As for classical guitars, as said  sparquelito (in Big Fingers) [laugh]They are fun, but it's hard to rock on those damned things. 

11 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Hi Prairie Dog. All fair points.

IMC, I grew up in the analogue era, and gigged with a number of tube amps for years. Personally I found the advantage of digital signal processors liberating. Having done all the prep work beforehand, I never needed more than 3 or 4 assigned patches (all available out of 5 footswitches) for any gig and any tune. I never used more than one guitar on a gig for 20+ years. 

Now, just to be clear, I was not trying to find a Strat sound or a LP sound etc. I never did that ever, regardless of what song was being covered. I merely used the sound that I identified closely with. That is still 'my sound'. 

Not only that, my digital rig sounded better to me than anything else I ever used. 

I agree unreservedly about "interesting, intrinsic vagaries" and that forms part of gigs and recordings regardless of specific gear used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Hi Prairie Dog. All fair points.

IMC, I grew up in the analogue era, and gigged with a number of tube amps for years. Personally I found the advantage of digital signal processors liberating. Having done all the prep work beforehand, I never needed more than 3 or 4 assigned patches (all available out of 5 footswitches) for any gig and any tune. I never used more than one guitar on a gig for 20+ years. 

Now, just to be clear, I was not trying to find a Strat sound or a LP sound etc. I never did that ever, regardless of what song was being covered. I merely used the sound that I identified closely with. That is still 'my sound'. 

Not only that, my digital rig sounded better to me than anything else I ever used. 

I agree unreservedly about "interesting, intrinsic vagaries" and that forms part of gigs and recordings regardless of specific gear used.

I totally get that. And I really appreciate you are your own musician, not a “sound chaser.”  You were true to yourself and used the gear that got you doing what you wanted to do.  Hats off, and nothing wrong with using the tech at hand that works for you.  

My quibble with Vaseraly’s decree is that he believes he has figured out for everyone else what their “correct” number of guitars, and now workflows apparently, should be.  

He is completely blowing off the magic that happens during live performance, whether in your living room or in front of a crowd. 

Just because chips can create an imitation of literally everything now, doesn’t mean that is what we want, or should  surrender to.  

Heck, AI can just do it all for us now. You can sit at your computer and say, “Hey, write, compose, arrange and produce a song about teenage disenfranchisement and panda bears.  Guitar, male vocals, bass, drums, xylophone and accordion. Drive it hard, and give me a Slash style riff in the break.” Load it up to Spotify and you’re done.  Who even needs humans holding guitars?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valeriy said:

PrairieDog, you probably didn't understand me quite correctly. I have no problem recording guitar. At least I'm glad about my guitar on record and live. I said I'm learning recording software, that doesn't apply to guitar. There are other things, I meant, in particular mixing, mastering, some additional instruments, in particular, drums, keyboards, strings, also some effects, etc. And here there are some tricks.  I'm not into modeling guitar sounds. I know there are various software simulators, but this is not my thing.

As for acoustic sound, it has its drawbacks, which are not present in electric ones, in particular, in the electric version there are no problems making a beautiful sound for bass strings, or just making it louder. I.e., there is no need to have multiple guitars for different venues or hall like there is with acoustic guitars where there is dreadnought/jumbo bodied acoustics.
As for classical guitars, as said  sparquelito (in Big Fingers) [laugh]They are fun, but it's hard to rock on those damned things. 

Omg, You really are putting your foot in it, aren’t you? You really need to just stop, now 😆  Lot of folks here play acoustics both professionally and for fun. Volume isn’t an issue with acoustic pick-ups.  Ever see an acoustic bass?  

I myself was over “thrashing” decades ago.  I don’t need to modify the sounds coming out of my guitars. I LIKE the sounds my acoustic guitars make just fine.  I bought them because they sound the way they do.  

You might slow your train down, stop to think just for a minute: Gee, I wonder, if they are so disappointing and useless, why does Gibson have a whole factory devoted to them, and why do people even buy all those sad, pointless acoustics?  

Okay, so now we need to qualify your initial statement about perfect number of guitars to, “you have figured out the correct number of “electric” guitars for somebody that wants to rock out in his basement and record instruments and compositions to a computer.”  

You are just arguing your personal taste.  Tastes are acquired, and everyone’s is different.  Insisting yours is the best one is just fruitless.  

I’m pretty much done here, but I would like to part with a bit of wisdom that most people learn eventually: what is important/interesting to you doesn’t mean pip to the rest of the world. (Unless you’re solving the nuclear fusion problem, that gets our attention.) 

The world is definitely happy you have found your groove, but everyone else in the world has their own perfectly good groove that works for them.   Sometimes you get lucky and find a group that shares your passion, go nuts.  

But for your own sake, please stop make futile declarations about what is good and bad about things you are just making clear you don’t have any experience with.  

Rock on, and put up more tunes. 

Edited by PrairieDog

These threads go round and round.  Circuitous?  

I think it's really a question of  Want  VS Need.  (Which has been discussed here, like riding a Merry Go Round with that horrible music,  ad nauseam).   

How far apart is the number of guitars  you NEED compared to how many you WANT?  The first number - "NEED"  is always ONE.  Whether an amateur or a professional -  you can always get by with just one.  To say you 'need' more - is really just bragging, considering all the nuances available to you after you pluck the string, courtesy of the wonderful world of electronics.  

"Want" is more elusive. Better put - "If money were no object..." And the resulting answer would be a function of how greedy you are.  Obviously, if that number slips into double digits, you can qualify as a 'collector'.  I'm a moderately greedy collector I would WANT a hundred. Sadly - money is NOT not an object.  So I'm 'stuck' at 3 acoustics.  Three times what I actually, honestly know I 'need'. 

Consider water.    How many gallons a day do you WANT  vs NEED ?   The gap would be much narrower that it would be with guitars. Water is - plain, tasteless, and its only purpose is to sustain life. How many gallons per day?  All humans stay very close to 12 - 15 cups a day.  Coffee?  How many cups ?  NEED one to wake up.  After Three, less awake - more jittery!  Scotch - where the want/need margin widens as well - different results though.   Watches>>TImexes VS Rolexes?   They both tell time.   

To think there is a universal number for guitars  -   would answer the eternal question  "How much 'fun' is too much?"    X+1!

On 6/17/2024 at 3:59 PM, Phil OKeefe said:

I agree with, and endorse this equation. 

I like this. Each individual is different.  To me? They're is No Answer.  I have seen guys with 1 to 5 guitars and guys with hundreds of them.  Answer, "WHAT FLIPS YOUR TRIGGER!'  The most I ever had was when I was a teen. Around 18 if you count the Banjo, and electric steel guitar.  Deb convincingly talked me into selling them all plus my good amp when we married.  The first house we had was small and no room for them all. When I retired, I tried to build them back up again in the house we now live in. Think I got up to 9.  Then I gave 3 away, 1 to my son, and 2 to the grandkids who kept asking for the one they had there eyes on. Then I purchased one more again.  Amatateeur, Yep, that's me too. Just play at home.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Retired said:

Think I got up to 9.  Then I gave 3 away, 1 to my son, and 2 to the grandkids who kept asking for the one they had there eyes on. Then I purchased one more again.  Amatateeur, Yep, that's me too. Just play at home.

I like this. 🙂 I've given away a few guitars and amps (and even bought a drum kit for my 2 year old grandson) over the years, too. It's nice to help out friends and family members and to encourage others to play. I've enjoyed playing for many years now, and it's nice to share that with others who are interested in playing, too. I think it's great to share the fun and enjoyment of music with other people you care about.  Good for you for doing that! [thumbup]

What’s to agree or disagree? How many Guitars does a Guitarist need? As many as he or she wants.

I have a pretty good size Arsenal. My Kids & Grandkids have all put their names on ones they want when I go to the great beyond..

The rest my Son in law will sell. They will donate the money to Charity.

On 6/26/2024 at 2:17 PM, PrairieDog said:

Omg, You really are putting your foot in it, aren’t you? You really need to just stop, now 😆  Lot of folks here play acoustics both professionally and for fun. Volume isn’t an issue with acoustic pick-ups.  Ever see an acoustic bass?  

I myself was over “thrashing” decades ago.  I don’t need to modify the sounds coming out of my guitars. I LIKE the sounds my acoustic guitars make just fine.  I bought them because they sound the way they do.  

You might slow your train down, stop to think just for a minute: Gee, I wonder, if they are so disappointing and useless, why does Gibson have a whole factory devoted to them, and why do people even buy all those sad, pointless acoustics?  

Okay, so now we need to qualify your initial statement about perfect number of guitars to, “you have figured out the correct number of “electric” guitars for somebody that wants to rock out in his basement and record instruments and compositions to a computer.”  

You are just arguing your personal taste.  Tastes are acquired, and everyone’s is different.  Insisting yours is the best one is just fruitless.  

I’m pretty much done here, but I would like to part with a bit of wisdom that most people learn eventually: what is important/interesting to you doesn’t mean pip to the rest of the world. (Unless you’re solving the nuclear fusion problem, that gets our attention.) 

The world is definitely happy you have found your groove, but everyone else in the world has their own perfectly good groove that works for them.   Sometimes you get lucky and find a group that shares your passion, go nuts.  

But for your own sake, please stop make futile declarations about what is good and bad about things you are just making clear you don’t have any experience with.  

Rock on, and put up more tunes. 

Hello guys, 
Many people agree with Einstein and his formula [smile].
I was looking for background these days, particularly piano, also bass. Yes, a lot has changed over the years. As I said, recording guitar is not a problem in "my basement", but I would like to have a good background, piano, etc. I found some of my old supplies. Oddly enough, at GPO (Garritan Personal Orchestra), the piano there seems good, also NI Akoustik Piano, I’ll try it. But these are all old plugins - 32-bit and they no longer work in modern programs (although they work in the free Cakewalk BandLab). However, I don't regret, I never liked the outdated 16-bit and 44 kHz parameters before and many of the instruments with these parameters are simply useless.

By the ways, that track Wish You Were Here, I see that some people liked it, thanks. Well... This was a test track for a 3-humbucker guitar - not the best option, even the worst for a clean sound. And the attentive ghost_of_fl correctly noted that there is a lack of acoustic definition on the bass strings. But this can be easily corrected with an equalizer. The next test will be, as I said, on a slim guitar, with one and two humbuckers, let's see what happens.
 I'll just add that I recorded this test-track in 24-bit 192 kHz. These are certainly high parameters. But I think that the guitar should be recorded with such high parameters, at least not worse. Before this, I recorded in 24-bit 96 kHz and I didn’t like it, it turned out it was noticeably worse, at least when recording on my computer. Perhaps this will be interesting to someone. Moreover, as I learned, in professional studios they also already make recordings at least 96 kHz, even higher. And modern capabilities make this easy.

As for bass and volume for acoustic guitars, I meant that in order to get a beautiful sound in the bass strings, this is not easy to do for acoustic guitars. I'm not a big fan of these guitars, but in my opinion, not every acoustic guitar has a good bass tone. That's probably why Gibson have a whole factory devoted to them. But I'm not disparaging the merits of acoustic guitars, I just want to say that the electric version is a different direction, perhaps it's only just beginning to truly begin. As you can see, Fender is already actively working in this direction. And this is not surprising; in the electric version even for a solid body, if more modern pickups will be installed a beautiful guitar sound (in clean) can be achieved much easier. It will just be a little different, with more sustain, like I said. And perhaps it will become popular.

On 6/26/2024 at 2:37 PM, Phil OKeefe said:

I like this. 🙂 I've given away a few guitars and amps (and even bought a drum kit for my 2 year old grandson) over the years, too. It's nice to help out friends and family members and to encourage others to play. I've enjoyed playing for many years now, and it's nice to share that with others who are interested in playing, too. I think it's great to share the fun and enjoyment of music with other people you care about.  Good for you for doing that! [thumbup]

Ive done it a few times too..  My brother in law who I am pretty friendly with only started playing in his early 40s (not long after he met me). I helped him the whole way along when he was struggling with his first chords etc as most beginners do. And I helped him to the point where he could just teach himself..  When ever he was down here he would always go for my LP DC special which was always one of my favorites too. Then on his 50th birthday on a whim I decided to send him the DC to keep. My own thinking was I was going to replace it with an all walnut version (I am still building).  

He said when he opened the box he was so happy he cried  🙂 

But I know that even to this day he still loves that guitar more than anything (like 4 years later). It inspires him to play and he is always telling me about new stuff he is learning. So from my point of view, 100% worth it. I have 5 more beautiful guitars to play that I love and while I do sometimes miss the DC, I know that it has a good home and if it is inspiring him further down the musical rabbit hole, well, thats all I need to know. 

I have already told my niece that one day if she is still playing I will give her one of my 336s (if not both of them).  But she has a while to go before I do that ...

• Like 1