Gibson Brands Forums

Your look: Street versus Stage

Riffster

For those of you who actually get on stage, what do you do differently about your image when you play live? do you maintain a stage look?

I know musicians here in Nashville that range from the emo look and designer jeans all the way to flip flops on stage and everything in between, I have seen more tight Wranglers that a man should have to endure and everytime I see a big tattoo on the neck I always think "that's a big commitment".

A comfortable pair of jeans, my Doc Martens, and usually a band workshirt (Seether, Evanescence, Pearl Jam). A photographer friend just recently sent me a Machine Shop work shirt that's really breathable, comfortable. Comforts most important. Pretty much the same thing when it isn't work clothes, only regular shorts and such and alternating between the Docs and Converses.

When I was a kid in college I did the rock band "look" of the day. Not very fancy, though.

Now? I don't get "on stage" very often, but when I do, it's the same as at work. Either Wranglers or khakis, shirt, vest, hat and boots. Usually Tonys since they seem to last for as many resoles as the uppers will stand. But not snake. If they can't handle green mud, I don't need them. Kinda the same with hats. I still wear a 20-year-old old handmade hat in the winter and a similar vintage Stetson when it's raining even though my wife says they both look disreputable.

I've been told that a hat doesn't go with swing or jazz, blues or early rock. Whatever. I wear the hat most of the time anyway, although not in the shower or in bed, as the old saying goes. Funny thing, when I actually was playing in a couple of country bands a century or so ago I didn't wear the hat. Hmmmm. I did sometimes doing bluegrass, though.

But then, I'm the type that did Joplin's Entertainer and Gardel's Por Una Cabeza at a cowboy poetry and music gathering a few miles to the north and west out in ranch country (Alzada, Montana - Google it <grin>) 'stedda a more typical sort of thing in that venue, so... whatever. <grin> Yeah, I was wearing a hat, though. I figured when the cowboys came into Belle Fourche a century or so ago they weren't looking for a saloon with somebody singing Whoopie Tie Yi Oh, but some "popular" music.

(Yup, this was the town where John Wayne was driving his cattle in the movie "The Cowboys." It was the country's biggest livestock shipping point at the time.)

By the way, for a heck of a buy on a custom hat, only $500 to $700 and still is definitely the good stuff, one of the best makers is at http://www.weatherhatco.com.

Jack also has some commercial hats from $180 to $250 and he'll shape the brim for you free with the hat. He's had stuff featured in Western Horseman. A lot of the top PRCA bronc riders from this area use his handmade hats, too.

Oh - when we lived in cities I didn't wear the hat. And when I travel to one, my wife makes me take it off in restaurants and such. Sez I should be civilized. Darn. I will admit that I got a few odd looks in Seoul on a trip or two. <grin>

m

I let my hair cover my face and wear a dragon suit, Usually when i am in public i wear my Hair in a pony tail and wear dark sunglasses.

I usually wear the same things on stage and off since i dress to impress either way, I don't wear jeans i usually wear very baggy dress up clothes with a scarf around my neck and sometimes have a very long suit on with rolled up sleeves.

I am a bluesman i cant be caught wearing jeans and a I am with stupid shirt on stage or in public.

I wear a suit most of the days, if I'm not wearing a suit, I'm wearing a "guayabera" which, around here, is kind of an elegant shirt, you can use it for business meetings and stuff like that sd (don't know how to explain exactly what it is, you probably already know what it is stiffhand).

Onstage (when I actually go onstage this days) I use leather (gator or snake) boots, worn out jeans (that Ive owned for years, since they were actually new) and black or brown shirts.

Back in the day, there was a lot of torn up t-shirts, bandannas and Aquanet, both on stage and off. These days, it's jeans, t-shirt and shoes both on stage and off (although, at work, I usually wear a shirt with a collar).

Since I'm usually playing small local bars, I don't get too dressed up. I almost always like to wear some kind of collared button-up or golf type shirt with jeans or maybe kaki's. I almost never wear shorts unless it's an outdoor party type thing.

I always dressed "up" for a gig unless it was something very casual and outdoors. Among my favorites, I have a cream colored zoot suit, complete with custom two-tone shoes and a fine fedora that I wore for the last few gigs I played. LOL! I haven't tried it on in a few years, though. It's jeans, tees and do-rag every day for me now.

Archived