Gibson Brands Forums

Why amps?

jrseriel

Simple answers - computers don't have tubes and they don't feed the soul.

If you take your statement or question even further, why do we play guitars at all a Keyboard plugged into a PC and MIDI could do it without the strings and learning all those chords and stuff. so too answer the question?

Because we still can!

Oh no. I have countless times. I have a fender deluxe hot rod deluxe 40W tube amp.

Gonna take more than 40 watts and a single speaker to hear it - and to get it.

Played thru a bunch of small amps over the years' date=' and there's nothing wrong with the Fenders, but keep looking.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/2636099679_5aed572ce8.jpg[/img]

computers are too easy to carry, set up, and tear down

computers wont make ure ears ring, and ruin your hearing

a wall of computers only looks cool in a bestbuy

have you heard the boops and baps that computers make?

jimmy page used guitar amps..........

maybe i like to haul around a heavy amp and cab, and make my ears ring, and bring too many amps for a small stage, and all the other pains in the butt that make marshall full stacks fun

8D

dem00n, in post #2, Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:40:39 PM, nails it.

jrseriel - it's a one word answer. Tone and Power - OK - three words.....

I spent my childhood modelling - little cars made out of plastic.

Then one day I used the real thing - the smell, the feel, the heat of the engine.

Amps are the same, they smell, they give of warmth, they have character.

You either get it, or you don't get it. If you play through tubes and still

feel modelling and computers is the way to go - great for you. More amps for me. Nice.

Why do we use amps? Why dont we just use patches from computers with midi capabilities. and a nice loud speaker. Why do we choose amps?

Prety valid question, specially since nowadays EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE gets digitalized when recording, and digital compression is aded, sometimes digital fx and digital fake overdub even, and even if they manage to keep the guitar signal clean till it's mastering time, that too is done digitally or at least passes through some digital compresors limiters and enhancers. This happens everywhere from the home studio to the professional multimillion dollar studio (the guy at the home studio will be more careful than the guy at the $10000000 studio with guitars tho).

So, why "real" amps? I don't know, personal preference maybe, maybe ignorance, maybe fear of change and an unwillingness to accept the new reality: digital stuff is here to stay and like it or not, you'll have to have your signal digitalizaed anyway (even if you never find out).

I prefer amps and cant really work with digital stuff (I hate it when players ask me to record them clean and then try different tones using the amplitube or any of the other virtual amp DAW pluggins).

Prety valid question' date=' specially since nowadays EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE gets digitalized when recording, and digital compression is aded, sometimes digital fx and digital fake overdub even, and even if they manage to keep the guitar signal clean till it's mastering time, that too is done digitally or at least passes through some digital compresors limiters and enhancers. This happens everywhere from the home studio to the professional multimillion dollar studio (the guy at the home studio will be more careful than the guy at the $10000000 studio with guitars tho).

So, why "real" amps? I don't know, personal preference maybe, maybe ignorance, maybe fear of change and an unwillingness to accept the new reality: digital stuff is here to stay and like it or not, you'll have to have your signal digitalizaed anyway (even if you never find out).

I prefer amps and cant really work with digital stuff (I hate it when players ask me to record them clean and then try different tones using the amplitube or any of the other virtual amp DAW pluggins).

[/quote']

Nice thanks. Just wondered. and yo dub. Why are you always putting me down[-(

Archived