Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody know good hand exercises?

Basshole

As many of you know I am in the Middle of my College Football season, with this comes a painful toll on my hands which I need to play bass, here are the injuries to my hands;

Left hand:

Jammed Ring Finger

Sprained Thumb

Right Hand:

Jammed Wee Finger (Pinky)

Smashed Pointer Finger

Jammed Thumb

I was wondering if any of you guys know some exercises for my hands to help get my hand back into shape?

(I know someone is going to say a sexual joke)

After the games use ice to help the swelling, Then just a little Icey/ Hot on the knuckles. Don't pop any knuckles just in case you have cracked anything during the game. At first slowly streatch your fingers, if you have hurt anything you'll know it quick. Here's a web site that has different kinds of exersisers for your hands. I like the V-spring the best.

http://www.fysiomed.com/html/english/index_eng.html?exercise/hand.html~mainFrame

Hope this help's you. I used to play football and wrestel. They helped me. Also tapeing the jammed fingers during the game also helps.

Hahaha

Come on guys' date=' this is serious. My hands are in pain and I need some advice.

Try to keep all immature but still funny jokes to a minimum.

Thanks,

Management

(Idk why I put the last part...eh)[/quote']

Try you left hand. :-&

I have to say this. Real musicians don't play sports.

Sorry.

You have to decide if you want to be a musician or an athlete. If you are a musician, you have to take care of your hands 24/7.

Many years ago when I was on the road I met a decent piano player in a competing band who was playing softball. The ball took a weird hop and jammed a finger on his right hand. He lost the use of it and the doctor said it would eventually have to be amputated (called it a "Mickey Mouse Hand"). After the accident he had no use of the finger and that ended his piano playing career. I don't know what happened after that, I lost touch with him (traveling musicians lose touch with people).

Of course, accidents can happen even to non sports people. A current guitar playing friend of mine cut the index finger of his left hand off making incense holders on a table saw. They put it back on, and he still plays, but not like he did before. He is currently pursuing an acting career.

If you are a musician, you need to minimize all risks to your hands. That means no sports, extra care when using power tools, no bar brawls, and so on.

Of course if the sports are more important to you, keep playing.

Insights and incites by Notes

I have to say this. Real musicians don't play sports.

People who play sports aren't too worried about getting hurt. Once you're good at sports, you don't have to worry about it.

People who are athletic don't get injured nearly as often as doofuses. Most of the people who get injured playing sports are too uncoordinated to play guitar anyway.

Grasp a foot ball, then chunk it as far as you can. Then never, ever pick it up again.

Foot ball and a future doing anything requiring a modest amount of dexterity do not mix.

Sorry, but you gotta make a choice Guit tar - or - play football and a life time of playing drums..... badly.

Well Bass, there's 3 for "quit Football"...if you gonna play guitar, you gotta quit Football before you do permanent damage, and have lifelong problems, I played 'Ball in High School, have permanent damage to my back, and left elbow...thank God nothing in my hands, and then what's pretty dumb, outta High School, I did a 5 year hitch on 3 different fishing boats ...with an already messed up back, messing it up even more, and another 3 years packing fish at the dock, doing still more damage. Skip ahead a few years to bouncing around in a Tractor Trailer for 12 years, my Lumbars ready for fusion, and because of my family's financial woes, I gotta hop back in a truck against Doc's advice, probably finishing off my back, and it aaallllll started playing Football. But I can still play a guitar. I still say quit Football, and stick with music...a lota less physically demanding..

Grasp a foot ball' date=' then chunk it as far as you can. Then never, ever pick it up again.

Foot ball and a future doing anything requiring a modest amount of dexterity do not mix.

Sorry, but you gotta make a choice Guit tar - or - play football and a life time of playing drums..... badly.[/quote']

I am a Long Snapper, and PAT Snapper my chances of making to the NFL are great. My snaps are bullets and line drives.

The average life in the NFL of a Long Snapper is 10 years and pay ranging from 250k to 450k

I like my chances.

But I also love and I am a good bass player, not your typical bass player who rumbles but one who can play soulful and skillful pieces that require great technical skill.

Trust me, I am really torn.

People who play sports aren't too worried about getting hurt. Once you're good at sports' date=' you don't have to worry about it.

People who are athletic don't get injured nearly as often as doofuses. Most of the people who get injured playing sports are too uncoordinated to play guitar anyway.

[/quote']

Yes, getting hurt is a part of the game, do I worry about it...no, does it happen...yes.

I make certain that I am always on the attack, always delivering hits and not taking any.

Well Bass' date=' there's 3 for "quit Football"...if you gonna play guitar, you gotta quit Football before you do permanent damage, and have lifelong problems, I played 'Ball in High School, have permanent damage to my back, and left elbow...thank God nothing in my hands, and then what's pretty dumb, outta High School, I did a 5 year hitch on 3 different fishing boats ...with an already messed up back, messing it up even more, and another 3 years packing fish at the dock, doing still more damage. Skip ahead a few years to bouncing around in a Tractor Trailer for 12 years, my Lumbars ready for fusion, and because of my family's financial woes, I gotta hop back in a truck against Doc's advice, probably finishing off my back, and it aaallllll started playing Football. But I can still play a guitar. I still say quit Football, and stick with music...a lota less physically demanding..[/quote']

Hey, just a side line, but I was candidate for lumbar fusion until I discovered an honest chiropractor and yoga....

Just saying...

I am a Long Snapper' date=' and PAT Snapper my chances of making to the NFL are great. My snaps are bullets and line drives.

The average life in the NFL of a Long Snapper is 10 years and pay ranging from 250k to 450k

I like my chances.

But I also love and I am a good bass player, not your typical bass player who rumbles but one who can play soulful and skillful pieces that require great technical skill.

Trust me, I am really torn.

[/quote']

If you truely are a contender for the NFL, the I suspect you've made your choice. I'm not sure there is any exercise that can 'work out' joint issues, like the jambed digits. Joints that are frequently dispalced joints end up arthritic. There are surgeries that can restore some movement, so I hope you do make the big bucks.

If your frettin' hand gets too stiff for an electric guit tar bass, try to second on an acoustic bass viol. The necks are bigger around and the ergonomics might be better for stiff fingers. Bass thumpers usually pick by hooking the side if the index finger from tip to 2nd knuckle on the select string and pulling sideways. It takes less dextarity than hooking a finger tip on an electric bass guit tar string, then flexing the finger closed to strum. For the bass viol the finger joints barely move.

Your phyiscal trainer might.. I say MIGHT be able to give some advice for protecting your knuckles. I'm not sure how much taping is allowed on the field.

This: http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnersguide/a/exercises.htm could be a good start for you. However, if you have an injury discuss the exercises with your trainer or physician. You don't want to make things worse.

Oh.. and Bass hole, could you shorten up the red line at the top of your signature a bit? It's going off the end of the page and making those irritating scroll bars on the right and bottom. Thanks.

As many of you know I am in the Middle of my College Football season' date=' with this comes a painful toll on my hands which I need to play bass, here are the injuries to my hands;

Left hand:

Jammed Ring Finger

Sprained Thumb

[/quote']

I have weak ring & pinky fingers and do this everytime I pick up a guitar. Well, they're not weak but it's hard for me to move them independently. Try this - put your index finger on the 1st fret of the high E string and your middle finger on the 2nd fret of the high E string...keep them there. Then with your ring finger on the 3rd fret & your pinky finger on the 4th fret, walk and down the fretboard. High E string - 3rd fret ring finger, 4th fret pinky finger, B string - 3rd fret ring finger, 4th fret pinky finger, etc. All the way to the low E and back. Then move up a fret & repeat. Also try chromatic runs but only moving one finger at a time. That's what I do and it's helped alot and continues to help.

I also bought a gripmaster for when I'm watching TV. http://www.zzounds.com/item--PTWGMM

+1 on the Gripmaster. Besides the exercises everyone has listed, and the ice, use ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) to help the swelling. I played soccer (goalkeeper) for about 20 years and I don't have an unbroken finger on either hand, but ice and asprin (and later ice and the other NSAIDs) kept me playing.

Archived