Gibson Brands Forums

Darn ! Why did I sell that guitar?

The G

Every guitar player I know regrets selling one of their instruments,which at the time may have been the correct decision.(Reasons are plentiful !!)=D>

But, times goes on conditions change and you think"I wish I stil had my"____________"

For me it is a 2001 J-45 I bought used in 2004.

Whats yours ?

My 1980 Guild D-55. The best sounding guitar I ever owned (and probably the second best sounding guitar I ever heard. A friend's Martin HD-28 takes the number one slot). It had a loose twelfth fret that I used to push back in place every time I played it. It eventually needed a partial refret, so I traded it in towards a spanking new '94 J-45. Biggest mistake of my life. I bought three D-55s over the years (a 1979 and two 200?) trying to get one that sounded as nice. I still have one of the newer ones. It's close, but just not the same. BTW, I got rid of the '94 J-45. It just really didn't appeal to me.

Lowden F-35 I got directly from the Lowden rep at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt in 2002. I had to sort of "spirit" the guitar out of there because they really weren't supposed to be doing retail sales there... I paid him about $2,300 (good exchange rate with the Euro back then). It was a crazy great guitar and probably worth $5K now...

I also got rid of a Dove Artist some years ago, but I luckily found another one just as good... so that regret has been done away with. I won't make that mistake again.

Lastly, a Martin D-28 Marquis that I sold earlier this year... I'd probably do it again because I don't really like the neck, but it was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever had in my hands.

I think our memory fades in a selective manner. There are many guitars I wish I had kept but I keep telling myself there was probably a good reason they got dumped, we're just not remembering it clearly. Financial disasters don't count; they will make us give up stuff we don't really want to.

My first "good" guitar was a Gibson C-0 classical, a decent guitar but classicals were not a strong point for Gibson. I sold it to raise the money for my current Gibson, my wonderful F-25. The reason I miss it is that it was the guitar my now deceased little brother learned on, I loaned it to him and regretted at the time that he beat and scratched the living bejeezus out of it making it look like how Willies "Hoss" may have started. I got over that and now I wish I had it as a reminder of my brother.

My maltese cross 185' date=' made '52, same year as me. Sold to fund a divorce. Sad, sad, loss - guitar, not marriage!

this story kills me everytime i hear it. i, too, lost my first real acoustic to divorce - kind of. it was hers to begin with and she kept it even though i was the only one who played it. she took great delight in phoning me one day to say that she had sold it at a garage sale.

:- Well its a painful epsode...............I traded my 62(bought from Chicago Music new) Fender Stratocaster for a Martin J-40M I had no clue as to value since I put it away long before..... Then I gave my Nephew my 59 LP Jr (cherry w/double cut away) mint I tell ya.....He was a 19yr old gigging Musician in SO CAL it lasted 3 weeks before it was stolen...

[-X:-({|= :-({|= =;

It still pains me to think about my ignorance............We live we learn

I currently own 11 guitars, two of which are not in playable condition, so 9 working. I acquired these over 45 years, during which time I sold or traded in 3 that i can think of. I don't regret any of the buys or any of the sells. The ones I unloaded was because I didn't like them or was able to get something much, much better. Every new one I got was to get something fairly distinct--adding a 12 string, a Dobro, a nylon string to the collection. I originally got my J45 because it was a great deal and gave me an acoustic with a pickup for playing in a retro country group. Some that I got for a specific reason, like the Gibby, have since grown into favorites independent of my original rationale.

When I retire in a few years, I'll probably downsize and could end up with some regrets, but I doubt it. I think a lot of people enjoy buying and selling guitars regularly. I don't. I really feel for those who sold due to financial issues or divorces, and I am fortunate I've never had to do that. Seems like some of us with regrets feel that way because the guitar is better in retrospect, while a few may have emotional attachments around the guitar. I would really be bummed if I lost a couple of mine, but i always try to remember that it is just a thing and things can be replaced.

So, "The G," i'm one player who has no regrets at this time. Hope I didn't wander too far off your question.

Every guitar player I know regrets selling one of their instruments' date='which at the time may have been the correct decision.(Reasons are plentiful !!):-&

But, times goes on conditions change and you think"I wish I stil had my"____________"

For me it is a 2001 J-45 I bought used in 2004.

Whats yours ? [/quote']

I thought the question might stir up a few responses...Hope I didn't open up any old wounds.

It just reinforces the fact that all guitars seem to have a distinct personality,that somehow imprints on our minds.

KSDADDY probably has a good point in saying "our memories fade in a selective manner"

BTW I'm surprised we haven't heard from Gilliangirl =D>

Have a great weekend, and hope you can spend some time pickn' and grinin' ... Got my Woody Guthrie right beside me.

Oh my heavens. Catch and release is the story of my life. Some of the ones gone by.... '66 Gretsch Nashville (too big, too heavy, worn frets, but, good god, what va tone), mid-60s Jazzmaster (actually not a big one --*%*switches), 72 Tele, 67 Tele (love/hate relation w/Teles), Hummingbird (66? Dont ask), '57 D18 (gave the Mrs), late 30s L00 (sob). This has to change. Real soon. Sooooooomeday, babaaaay....

Well that would be.... 72 Martin 28-12... 80 Gibson Gospel... Martin D-35.... 72 Guild F30n... Guild GF60.... Ovation folklore..........Gibson J-55... 91 Gibson j-185 ....98 Gibson j-185 KOA....88 Martin 00-18.... 97 D-18VS......97 Gibson J45........88 Guild D-40...... 70s Guild 12 string....But, probably the 91 J-185 mostly!

Grampa, Yeah, for me it was my Gibby CO Classic too. Was the first guitar I picked out and paid for on my own back in the early 60s. The guitar I learned to play guitar on. But, youth is fickle. Like you, I sold it to upgrade. For me it was an LG1. Wich I gave to my son a year ago. Your brother is with you - not with the CO. Pax.

Now I need therapy. Breakthrough suppressed memory! I had an ES-325TD I got at Glen's Pawn in Denton Texas. Don't know the vintage but it was used in 1983 and $400. Sold it for drugs or sex or rent or something equally fleeting. Christ. I need therapy. Maybe a guitar would be cheaper.

Archived