Gibson Brands Forums

Your most underrated guitarist

DAS44

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robbie Krieger is definitely an underrated guitarist.

That someone so good has gone so (relatively) unnoticed for a very long time is very unfortunate.

I dunno.

Lotsa people know who Kreiger is.

Certainly anybody who plays an SG.

I'm guessing anybody with the slightest interest in the music of the Doors knows his name.

They sold millions of records' date=' gained more press and notoriety than money could buy.

Just sayin...

:D

Buckingham?

Hell, all anybody seems to know about Fleetwood Mac is [b']Stevie Nicks[/b] or Mick Fleetwood.

Then there are the F-Mac purists who shudder at the thought of anything after Peter Green...

And yes, Rory Gallagher.

Audley Freed - played with the Black Crowes for a decade.

Before that, he had a band called Cry Of Love.

Check 'em out on YouTube if you like hot blues rock.

Mike Campbell is Tom Petty's guitar player - another criminally under-appreciated player.

Overrated. Completely.

Never saw what the big deal was about those guys' date=' but they're definitely [i']not[/i] underrated, at least not from what I can gather.

Why? Is it because he's not up on stage wanking out Prince riffs? Don't be so one dimensional. There is more than one way to make a guitar scream.

Pete Anderson and the lead guitarist for Tom Petty. See? I can't even remember his name' date=' but he's darn good.[/quote']

Yes Pete Anderson is incredible. He's the man behind Dwight Yoakam.

Mike Cambpell is Tom Petty's lead man.

Lindsay Buckingham.

That's right. He's on a very short list of underrated players in my book.

Why? Is it because he's not up on stage wanking out Prince riffs? Don't be so one dimensional. There is more than one way to make a guitar scream.

Hey' date=' come on man, it's an opinion.

All I was saying was that up here where I live, I know a lot of people who worship the guy, and yes, so you know, I do respect [i']his[/i] abilities as a guitarist.

I'm sorry, I suppose I should've made clear that I meant to say that I never understood the band as a whole, instead of bashing on the one guitarist. He's fine, and hell, Thurston's just fine, too. Technically, they're far better than one could reasonably expect a guitarist to be. If you asked me if I thought they were creative, I'd say hell yes. If you asked me if I liked their music, I'd say that it's not for me.

I guess I shouldn't have said anything about Lee Ranaldo personally. I've just never felt particularly moved by any of Sonic Youth's songs (and I've tried,) and no, it's not because he's "not up on stage wanking out Prince riffs." It's because of the hackneyed songwriting and the obnoxious attitudes that they exude. Hell, Prince isn't the greatest out there. I was just pointing out that I think he's a pretty alright guitarist, and that this particular aspect of his performances is often overshadowed by others. But thank you for devaluing my opinions. It's good to know that nothing I say or think is valid.

So, maybe I'm a one-dimensional tool with no taste. You're a pretentious snob with predictable musical proclivities. We've both got our problems.

... I think there are tens of thousands of guitar players out there, some gigging and some not, who've played for ages and have developed a consistency and style equal to many of the "names" out there.

The problem is that if you don't drop into your local saloon on occasion, you'll never hear them.

m

... I think there are tens of thousands of guitar players out there' date=' some gigging and some not, who've played for ages and have developed a consistency and style equal to many of the "names" out there.

The problem is that if you don't drop into your local saloon on occasion, you'll never hear them.

m

[/quote']

SO true. In New Orleans I saw a lady, must have been in her 50s or 60s, begging for money with a cheap 6 string bluesing it up. She had me jaw slacked. People that stopped didn't listen with a smile and tip all blaze, we stopped and just STARED with horrified expressions. She had to have sold her soul to Satan, tell you what!

+1 on Prince AND I have to add Nick Cave, of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I mean do you HAVE to shred to be a good guitarist?

Archived