Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite gauge strings for your les paul

nitro

Well i just picked up my 2008 les paul classic and it sound very nice,the only thing i need to get custom to are the strings that came with the guitar,(gauge wise)they are strung with 10-46 gibson brite wires and the strings that i use all the time on my humbucker strats are 9-42,anyway what are your favorite gauge string for your les paul,i was wonder if i changed to a lighter gauge(9-42)would it sound more brighter and less tubby vs. the 10-46 strings.

Wow I was going to start the same thread lol. I am used to Ernie ball 9s but have been trying a lot of different strings lately. I just put a set of Gibson bright wires 10 to 46 and I am really liking the tone just a little harder on the bends.

I tried the vintage reissues and found them just too dull for me and they seemed to really kill the sustain. Now I'm just not sure if I like the 10s better than the 9s. I'll try the 10s for a few weeks and see.

What are you guys using for lube? I am using fast fret and I just bought some Gibson lube but I am hesitant to use the Gibson stuff as it comes with a warning that it can harm the finish if it comes in contact.

...suddenly i feel out of place here... i have been using d'addario strings (10) for 6 years now, as they are the easiest to find here... used ernie ball befora that... is there so much difference? could anyone say if they are better or just different?

sound wise, i cant tell a difference between different brands of strings

but earnie balls feel different when i bend them,

their string life seems very bad compared to GHS, or diaddrios

but the way they bend, i cant put my fingure on it, its like the string stretches when i bend it

its weird

I just put a set of Gibson bright wires 10 to 46 and I am really liking the tone just a little harder on the bends.

Just raise the stop bar a little for slinkier bends or 'top-wrap' the strings over the stop bar and screw it right down.

D'darrio XL 120's if you are set on the light guage. I used them for decades. But, as the tones in metal/rock have gotten heavier, I have gone to the XL 110's for the better (darker) hi-end tone. I notice in reading that what some of the "guitar heroes" use are more like a mixture of gauges... light gauges for the low E thru G and the heavier guage for the B and E.

...suddenly i feel out of place here... i have been using d'addario strings (10) for 6 years now' date=' as they are the easiest to find here... used ernie ball befora that... is there so much difference? could anyone say if they are better or just different?

[/quote']

Dude! I was surprised to see no D'Addario strings listed, too....

It all comes down to tone and feel imho.... I tried dang near every brand I could lay my hands on before settling on the XL 120s.

Nobody else uses WebStrings? I'm telling you guys - give them a try. Buy two or three sets just to see if you like them and, if you do, buy enough for a $50 order at $2.49 per set to get free priority mail shipping. Just under $60 will get you two dozen sets of strings compared to the $4 - $5 per set you're paying.

WebStrings

I'm pretty picky about my gear so it's not like I'm buying them just because they're cheap - they sound good and work good too.

Archived