Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson in trouble??

Tim Plains

I just have a couple of questions;

- What the heck is so great about Madagascar rosewood that make people go strip forests like crazy?

- What makes you think Henry is involved just 'cause he stepped down from the Rainforest Alliance?

- Aren't those little rat critters the same ones that jump off the cliffs every once and a while?

I mean really.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just have a couple of questions;

- What the heck is so great about Madagascar rosewood that make people go strip forests like crazy?

- What makes you think Henry is involved just 'cause he stepped down from the Rainforest Alliance?

- Aren't those little rat critters the same ones that jump off the cliffs every once and a while?

I mean really.

It is called a Lemur. It is an indigenous monkey to Madagascar. What you speak of are Lemmings, which are small rodents. I believe they are found in Europe and North America.

"one of you guys mentioned blood diamonds in an earlier post"

Welcome Tumbleweed!

I am guilty as charged - but just for thinking about it. Now you have me looking at my couch, tv, and car [confused]

Great comment re: consumption society. Supply and demand wreak havoc in our society - especially when we focus on one resource without regard to it being a renewable resource or not and how much time is involved to bring it back to where it was before the demand. The American Bison is an early example and it was killed to eliminate a food source for the American Indians. Ivory continues to be the elephants demise. The list goes on and on. It takes decades and centuries to renew some resources. Some of the reasons for the near extinction or extinction for these resources is intolerable, but yet we continue to repeat history time and time again in one fashion or another. Now they have discovered water on the moon. Hmmmm.

I wonder what the next "flavor of the month" resource will be?

Nothing really... but it's prohibited to cut down trees in there and so some people feel the urge to do it and make money the easy way (while real' date=' honest companies make less money because they only use trees that are into places with no prohibition, and they pay taxes and... ).

I don't know... but if they were to find any prohibited wood inside a gibson warehouse or factory then he should be the one to answer because he's the main man.

I think you are thinking about "lemmings"... and no, lemurs aren't rats, in fact they are more related to you and me than to any rat or rodent.

They are rare and special... and anyway, even if they weren't, they are living beings, and they should be treated with respect.

This world, *** much as most guys here will hate to admit it, is not ours... it's just a matter of time before the actual owners get sick and tired of us and eat all of us in 1 or 2 days.

It is called a Lemur. It is an indigenous monkey to Madagascar. What you speak of are Lemmings' date=' which are small rodents. I believe they are found in Europe and North America. [/quote']

Thanks blue... didn't see your answer back there until after I had replied too [lol]

Hector, I'm not sure exactly what you meant by the statement that the government should protect Gibson.

Our legal system isn't wired that way here.

It's only a recent development that our government will piss away trillions of dollars on BIG corporations.

The Constitutional challenges involved with such idiocy are too numerous to mention here, and it ain't over yet.

Gibson doesn't fit that profile, and besides, the charges against them are pretty cut and dried.

Uncle Sam prefers shadow-boxing with smoke & mirrors so they can deny anything unpleasant later on....

As far as the Lemur being protected or whatever, I refer you all back to a paragraph in the original news story;

Madagascar has struggled financially since a January coup and new President Andry Rajoelina issued an executive order in September legalizing the export of rosewood and ebony. The move was decried by environmental groups and political leaders worldwide, as hardwood forests are key to Madagascar's unique ecology and serve as a habitat for a dwindling lemur population.

If Madagascar doesn't give a rat's *** (or that of a lemur) and they start flooding the market with "illegal" wood, who's gonna know the difference?

Who's laws are we gonna talk about enforcing?

I suppose you can call it greed or whatever, but that's a poor country and those people will do what it takes to feed their children. Don't be surprised if you start seeing lemur hides flooding the market, if ya know what I mean.

:-)

I've seen no further mention here of the coup, and I have to wonder if a substantial percentage of the members missed it or have no idea of the implications. If the government was thrown out on its *** and the new guys are issuing executive orders to legalize (and actively encourage) the destruction of their sole profitable resources for quick profit, who's gonna stop them?

Ol' Henry sitting on the board of the Rainforest Alliance is largely ceremonial - they have no power.

Hell, the United Nations looks like the Roman Empire by comparison....

Wonder if a "strongly worded statement" from the Greenies will make them change their mind?

Are you fxcking kidding me?

These people see those trees the same way the Arabs see oil or Africans see diamonds - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good luck getting them to listen.

I think Gibson is gonna be fine in the end.

If no less a fringe idiocy group than GreenPeace is singing Henry's praises in the media, I think they've been playing fair the whole time. I would be surprised indeed to see Gibson involved in any sort of smuggling - even if most of the "laws" are written by Utopian Greenies and followed voluntarily only to avoid bad press.

The kind of press they are now getting.....

As far as the Lemur being protected or whatever' date=' I refer you all back to a paragraph in the original news story;

[b']Madagascar has struggled financially since a January coup and new President Andry Rajoelina issued an executive order in September legalizing the export of rosewood and ebony. The move was decried by environmental groups and political leaders worldwide, as hardwood forests are key to Madagascar's unique ecology and serve as a habitat for a dwindling lemur population.[/b]

If Madagascar doesn't give a rat's *** (or that of a lemur) and they start flooding the market with "illegal" wood, who's gonna know the difference?

Neo, I know it's a little difficult to understand for everyone (specially if you are in the US), you have put it right: if they don't give a sh-t then why should we?

Well the thing is, they do give a sh-t but their president just wants more dollars for HIMSELF. Their president that was probably elected in a fraudulent process, and dos not represent the will of his people.

That happens a lot in 3 world countries man, in here our commie SOB useless monkey president made it legal to fish sharks for their dorsal fin (and just throw the rest back to the ocean)... why? Japanese shark processing companies gave him money... and of course, poor people relying on shark fishing gave him something more important: their vote.

That's how it works in the 3rd world man, you wouldn't believe the sh-t we have to take from commie governments that even say "it's for the greater good" (yeah right... I'd chop their heads off at the first oportunity)

Of course, there are international laws and there are countries that care... so those countries will ban you and stop buying from you, they will not recognize your government as legal, they have their own laws (one of them is the USA) and if one of their companies is caught doing business with you then they will enforce those laws.

Take it as if you went and sold guns to cuba... cubans might not mind but YOUR government will. That's what's happened here.

It is called a Lemur. It is an indigenous monkey to Madagascar. What you speak of are Lemmings' date=' which are small rodents. I believe they are found in Europe and North America. [/quote']

Ok so I was joking about the Lemurs and Lemmings... of course I know the difference. I used to play Lemmings all the time. [biggrin]

More than just Madagascar. A species of lemur is the only native american primate (both North and South America).

Ours, - it's an international treaty that was ratified by congress and signed by the president in 1974.

We live a great place - where people can say and write what they really believe. Regardless if it makes them sound or look as if they have no concept of the gifts they possess' date=' solely by the virtue of place.

Wonderful, I tell you, wonderful.[/quote']

Oh... that. I agree.

I think as has been mentioned,nobody has bothered giving a second thought(let alone mentioning)the coup and its myriad backhanded dealings going on not just in this country but any other 3rd. world country(which almost sounds like a cliche term now)is the same reason we turn a blind eye to the guy on the street asking for some spare change..."I'm just 1 person!What difference can I make? The truth hurts;we couldn't be bothered;this has been going on in that country for(insert time length).

Someone mentioned the UN?? What are they? Zilch. Puppets,pawns,representatives of the King. Their hands are tied. Big Fat Nothing. A good soapbox for a rant though,just ask Gadafi.

Anyway,enough of my jibber jabber. Quite pointless actually.

Maybe I'll start a cigarette company and give away to everyone in Soweto a free packet of cigarettes. Oh wait,damn! That's already been done...

This is rather complex. There is a new Gibson acoustic in my local store which it says is made of 100% Madagascar Rosewood on the inside label. i.e. the body, neck, fretboard...you name it.

So, this must be about HOW the wood was sourced, not whether or not the rosewood is from Madagascar??

Others may soon have trouble too:

PRS limited edition Dragon for 2010:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Dragon2010SB/

Quote:

The Madagascar Rosewood neck features an exotic, eye-popping dragon inlay you just have to behold to believe!

Taylor:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/woods/BodyWoods/?bw=mrosewood

Quote:

Madagascar Rosewood

Origin: Madagascar

Used On: Limited Editions, Custom Models

Madagascar rosewood tonally is considered a kindred spirit to venerable Brazilian rosewood, boasting zesty, articulate highs, deep lows and ample dynamic range, and rewarding players with rich sustain and complex overtones. Its comparison to Brazilian is reinforced by its often striking visual appeal and limited availability.

Martin John Mellencamp Model

http://www.mellencamp.com/?module=news&news_item_id=350&tag=

Quote:

The Madagascar Rosewood headplate bears the traditional (for a slotted headstock) small Old Style Martin decal.

If Gibson could find a way to make the fretboard inlays out of lemur teeth' date=' we'd have everything we need from Madagascar.[/quote']

Maybe use a Lemur claw as a pick and the hide for a strap, just saying, we need to use resoureces wisely.

Then you can oil the fretboard with Lemur tears.

Archived