Gibson Brands Forums

Best Guitarist of All Time

slashadler

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any poll without Django Reinhardt, Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, T-Bone Walker, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, Jerry Reed, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, James Burton, Matt "Guitar' Murphy, Johnny Winter, Les Paul, Buck Owens, or Larry Carlton is just Illegitimate. IMO [cool]

• 11 months later...

STEVE!! Hey my friend where have you been hiding?

hello bill, not so much hiding just working hard [crying], been keeping tabs on the forum though just not posted much...but as you know friday night is when i sit in front of the pc with a large vodka and spout on about how much i love gary moore [smile]

hello bill, not so much hiding just working hard [crying], been keeping tabs on the forum though just not posted much...but as you know friday night is when i sit in front of the pc with a large vodka and spout on about how much i love gary moore [smile]

Tip a couple for me. [thumbup]

Best is subjective.

And this fanboy shxt is getting old, FAST.

If the statement "best is subjective" was true, then it would be false.

Explanation: the author of that statement is saying that the 'best' choice for truth or falsity of that statement is that it is true. But if 'best is subjective', then it cannot be said that truth IS the best choice between true and false. Hence,

best is NOT subjective. We just fail to understand the right criteria for judgment. Or don't want to admit it, because it may somehow not fit our life agenda.

You may want to change your statement to "best guitarist is objective", but that still would only be an opinion, and not necessarily true.

Hendrix was the best although he had some very questionably good material..., though it's very difficult to separate the songwriting from the ad-libbing in the case of Pat Metheny, who would be the other best candidate for 'best guitarist'.

What we're using for criteria here is not chops (of course), but it is the quality of "saying something" with your playing. "Saying something" is best done when you are doing the highest degree of improvising...when the next note is the least planned that it can be. Playing great riffs that you already know is 2nd to making them up on the spot. Playing riffs you already know makes you a 'practiced' guitarist, not a great one.

Just like when you tell your wife/girl that you love them- the best communication is when you bring the words from the heart on the spot..., rather than when you write a speech saying you love her, then read her the speech.

Archived