Gibson Brands Forums

Merry Christmas or Happy Hoildays?

dem00n

happy hollidays is just a stupid term to make sure we dont insult people who are jewish/muslim/atheist/ect..........

the stupid thing' date=' is it that if u think about it, holy-days, holi-days....

whatever[/quote']

Man even the atheists say Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas because we live in a Christian( or Catholic whichever one) based society' date=' and while not Christian myself, I find that it is our society. That's why the pledge of allegiance says 'under God'.

[/quote']

thats what they want you to think.

I say "Merry Christmas" but there's nothing wrong with saying Happy Holidays.

Before folks started using Happy Holidays as a Politically Correct version of Merry Christmas, I thought it meant, "Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas/Hanukah, and New Years." Basically, "I hope the end of the year goes well for you, as we are all brethren on the same trip to the grave."

If Merry Christmas means, "Only people who follow my religious beliefs should have a nice holiday season," then I feel you've missed the Spirit of the Season, and you should read some Dickens (don't just watch one, read it).

Merry Christmas because we live in a Christian( or Catholic whichever one) based society' date=' and while not Christian myself, I find that it is our society. That's why the pledge of allegiance says 'under God'.

If I wanted to be politically correct, I wouldn't live in the US[/quote']

Actually, the "under God" part wasn't officially added until 1954.

Addition of the words "under God"

If Merry Christmas means' date=' "Only people who follow my religious beliefs should have a nice holiday season," then I feel you've missed the Spirit of the Season, and you should read some Dickens (don't just watch one, read it).[/quote']

Good point.

Before folks started using Happy Holidays as a Politically Correct version of Merry Christmas' date=' I thought it meant, "Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas/Hanukah, and New Years." Basically, "I hope the end of the year goes well for you, as we are all brethren on the same trip to the grave."

If Merry Christmas means, "Only people who follow my religious beliefs should have a nice holiday season," then I feel you've missed the Spirit of the Season, and you should read some Dickens (don't just watch one, read it).[/quote']

very well put

I call it Christmas no matter who I'm talking to. Not that I really care about Christ or Christianity as such, but that's what it is called and what it's been meant to celebrate since whenever the christians made it to this country and replaced the old heathen holidays with theirs. But mostly I do it because not once have I heard a muslim or jew or what have you in this country refer to any of their holidays with a generic term not to offend anyone. So why should we roll over?

I say Merry Christmas because "Happy Holidays" just seems too wimpy. I mean, I celebrate Christmas, but I would not be offended if someone told me "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Kwanzaa" or anything else. I'd just smile and say thank you.

In Florida we are basically just celebrating the fact that it is not blisteringly hot anyway. :-

Three kids got sent to see the principal's office for bad behavior. As they were sitting in the waiting room one kid asks the other "what did you do?" The kid responds "I said $*!@ in class." So the other kid asks "what did you do?" The first kid responded "I said f&*@ in class." The third kid says "well, I said something much worse than the both of you....I said Merry Christmas in class!!"

Archived