Gibson Brands Forums

Need some advice!

Jantha

I may be in the position soon to spend a decent chunk of change on a new guitar. I've always had it in my mind to pick up a new traditional or standard, but now I'm kinda reconsidering things.

I don't currently have what I would consider to be a decent amplifier. I'm starting to wonder if buying a nice tube amp and a studio would be a better way to go?

What do you guys think? Blow the wad on the nicest LP I can get? Or settle for "less" guitar and get a nice amp as well?

A good guitar through a crappy will sound like a crappy amp; a crappy guitar through a good amp will often sound interesting. That said' date=' it depends on what kind of guitar you already own.[/quote']

That's kinda what I'm thinking too...

This is a tough choice.

I'd have a hard time turning Down a Studio Paul and a Boogie Triple Rectifier.

How long would you have to wait to get a Standard Paul and a Good Amp? If we're talkin' months, you might want to try for that. If it's your one shot, get The Studio and the Good Amp.

I guess I'd go for the good amp and a studio...

But don't put down the studio, either.

For what it's worth, I still have and love the stuff I got in the mid 1970s that are super stuff. That big mamajama amp, yeah, I wish I'd kept the Deluxe Reverb too, but... it's super. Ditto the guitars. All but three I have now were purchased prior to 1979.

So, what I'm sayin', I guess, is quality will tell; they're right that even a medium or relatively low quality piece will sound good through a good amp setup and - good grief, guy, there ain't nothing second rate about a studio unless you figure the bells and whistles are more important than good woods, good electronics and good construction.

m

Are you in a band? Do you play out?

If you're just a guy who plays at home, all you need is a small tube amp for some great tone...well under $500. I say go for the Gibby. Put up with using your mediocre amp for a little while and then when your gear fund is replenished, get a nice amp.

Heck, I use my R9 through a sh*tty 15w SS Fender Frontman sometimes and it sounds alright.

It's a major purchase. Take your time, play a bunch of guitars... Studios, Standards, Traditionals... whatever is in your price range. Find the one. Let that determine your path. If your "the one" turns out to be a fire burst Studio, then maybe you'll have enough cash left over for a nice tube amp. If not, and you spend the wad on your guitar... just save up and start shopping for amps. By the time you have enough money, you'll probably have made up your mind which one you want.

It has been my experience that if you buy what you really want, you're rarely disappointed.

Good luck, and enjoy the hunt!!

[biggrin]

Thanks for the responses!

I did own a studio quite a few years ago. I loved it. I know I wouldn't be disappointed with another one. I don't play in a band, so I don't need anything TOO elaborate.. but I would like something nice, y'know?

I'm sure I'll be asking tons of questions once I know how much I'll really be able to spend. I'm kinda jumping the gun right now, but I wanted to see what others thought.

FirstMeasure: Funny you mention that particular combo.. hehe. I was thinking the same myself.

if you already have a guitar you could get a good amp and WAIT 'till you have enough for a "really good LP".

Honestly though, to me a Studio LP is a quality UNPRETENTIOUS instrument. Rock stars and rich folks or people who are very lucky get the "nice" LPs but the sound I'm not sure is better.

Am I nuts, guys?

Is a higher end LP better sounding?

Assuming I'm blind and looks don't mater and its not about having the fancy stuff, strictly sound...is a Studio not comparable to a fancy LP?

if you gotta have two things I vote w the group and say good amp and good guitar.

A cheap guitar will sound decent through a good Amp - especially if the person using it can play a little - but if guitaring is your passion , and u can afford it, who wants to play with a crappy guitar?

So really I would say this

1) What guitar(s) do u already have ?

2) If u feel u deparately need a good guitar and only play at home, buy one and use it with headphones with an interface such as a Line 6 Toneport through your computer - having a sexy good guitar will fill u with more pride than a expensive Amp.

3)If u play at home and your after a Valve Amp a max of 5 matts output is quite sufficient ie the Blackstar HT5 or Marshal 5 watt are great examples and may also have a headphone output

4) Buy secondhand to maximise your returns

Nah.

Sorry,but get a niiice guitar.

A good guitar will ALWAYS sound better over a bad/good amp.

PERIOD.

Don't believe me?...Go to your local muso shop,plug in that beautiful LP there that the local shop slime don't want anyone playing(you know the one's)into a piece of crud and comp it to anything else that is free for all ta play. Still sounds good no.

Savvy?...

I agree with Izzy on the studio being quite a nice guitar, but as I said earlier on this thread, it just ain't so fancy.

Heck, wanna give one away, I'll take it.

SG is a bit different sound and a lot different feel. Personally I prefer it and don't care much for the LP. But that's just me.

I'm also convinced that a guitar you're comfortable with will sound better than one you're not comfortable with, regardless of price range.

That makes the "try out a bunch" advice good.

m

I am with Izzy and Thundergod on this one. The Studio is beyond nice, it is a GREAT UNPRETENTIOUS guitar. And, IMHO, amps are even more important than guitars in the ''tone'' issue.

If you need an amp, get the Studio and a tube amp as well. Also IMHO, the price difference between Studios and Standards / Traditionals / Classics is not justified. Especially if you're not in a band / play live / go under the stage lights.

But perhaps that's just me.

Good luck man. And as already stated, enjoy the hunt!

''The chase is better than the catch'' - Motorhead

Archived