Gibson Brands Forums

Naming children - Jetta Disco?

NeoConMan

Seriously, WTF?

I was reading a news story on the Associated Press about a boat accident in San Diego.

A Coast Guard vessel collided with a private boat during a Christmas parade.

Check out the name of the person they quoted;

"Coast Guard spokeswoman Jetta Disco says in a news release that one person from the civilian boat was declared dead Sunday night at University of California, San Diego Hospital."

... and it's not just California anymore...

All kidding aside, I know of a female police officer whose first name was "Bambi."

Then there were...

Naaaah. Won't go there. It'd likely embarrass somebody.

OTOH, I've taken photos of people with surnames such as "No Neck" and "Respects No One" and that's not a joke. Blame a fellow name of Eastman somewhere over a century ago for those translations and suggesting a mode with which to do them.

My major problem is that there's no such thing any more as a "standard spelling" for anybody, especially females. I've known girls who pronounce their first name the same way, but are spelled Mary, Mari, Merry, Merri and Merrie.

Sheesh.

m

When my wife taught daycare, she had students with the following names (this is no joke)

1 girl was named Female' (FEmalA)

1 set of twin boys was, Quintarious & Quintavious

1 set of twin boys was Oranjello(orange jello)& yes, believe it, Lemonjello(self explaining)

sheesh..................

1 set of twin boys was Oranjello(orange jello)& yes, believe it, Lemonjello(self explaining)

Bender!!!!!

Were their names pronounced "LaMONjulloe and "OROHNjulloe?" I think I knew 'em in Memphis and I'm not kidding.

Knew a little girl whose name was LaTrina. Having a bit of military background, that one tended to bother me more.

m

1 set of twin boys was Oranjello(orange jello)& yes' date=' believe it, Lemonjello(self explaining)

Bender!!!!!

Were their names pronounced "LaMONjulloe and "OROHNjulloe?" I think I knew 'em in Memphis and I'm not kidding.

Knew a little girl whose name was LaTrina. Having a bit of military background, that one tended to bother me more.

m

[/quote']

these boys would be about 14 or 15 now...........

pronounced O rahn gel O and lE mahn gel O

my buddy had a patient in Joliet' date=' IL whose name was pronounced shi-thee-ad but was spelled "Sh!thead." Orange jello, that story has been going round for years. every city and state i have ever worked in i have heard that one.[/quote']

I wish I could say I hadn't heard that name before. My wife's Aunt was a substitute teacher for an elementary school in Lynchburg, VA and there was a girl with the same name and pronunciation.

Same situation different school: La-a. Pronounced La-dash-uh.

I wish I could say I hadn't heard that name before. My wife's Aunt was a substitute teacher for an elementary school in Lynchburg' date=' VA and there was a girl with the same name and pronunciation.

Same situation different school: La-a. Pronounced La-dash-uh.[/quote']

i wouldnt have believed him...but he took a pic of the file, blacked out the last name and MRN and emailed it to me. hilarious....

Naah...

My Jellows were in the 1980s and maybe... 8 years old or so.... And Mama wrote their names for me on a contract. Ditto Latrina. That was Memphis.

I know two girls in the local school system are named "Heaven." One is "Heaven Leigh."

A lot of boys names here are from Louis L'Amour novels or from guys in rodeo. Lots named "Garrett" after Mark and Marvin, both world champions on rough stock, who live here.

m

Funny I've heard the Lemon Jello and LaDasha stories too -- always assumed they were urban legends.

Over the years I have taught two Tequilas and one Tarantula.

There is a section analyzing unusual names in the book Freakonomics that was popular a few years ago.

There is a wonderful story about a little boy named Fruit Stand. The story takes place in Santa Cruz, California during the time when many of the hippie era parents had moved from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. As they had children, these hippie parents never gave them common names like Tiffany or Michael. Instead, they gave them profoundly meaningful names like Snow Princess, Sea Foam, and Panache. So people around Santa Cruz grew accustomed to their children playing with little Time Warp or Spring Fever. Eventually all of them, along with Moonbeam, Earth-Love and Precious Promise all ended up in public school. It was then that a certain kindergarten teacher first met Fruit Stand.

It was the first day of school and this little child got off the bus wearing a name tag which said “Fruit Stand.” on it. Truth be told, the teacher thought it a bit strange, but, then again, this was the age of Frank Zappa naming his son Dweezle and his daughter Moon Unit, so she welcomed him along with the other children.

“Would you like to play with the blocks, Fruit Stand” she asked. “Fruit Stand, how about a snack?” By afternoon recess his name didn’t seem much different than Sun Ray’s or Fairy Queen’s, and at the final bell, the teacher led the kids out to the buses. “Fruit Stand, do you know which bus is yours?” He didn’t answer.

The teacher knew that lots of kids are shy on their first day. It didn’t matter anyway since she had asked the parents to write the names of their children’s bus stop on the reverse side of their name tags. Just as she put the boy on the bus and said “Good-bye Fruit Stand, I’ll see you tomorrow,” she turned over his bus tag--and there, neatly printed, was the word, “Anthony.” O:)

Shred...

If it's an urban legend, their mama was fibbing; I took money from mama for lessons in Memphis in the 1980s. The records "went" when I sold the business in the mid 80s.

The pronunciation is a bit different than some, I guess...

It's LeMon - kinda like you'd pronounce the name of the race course in France, then "julow."

Dunno what else to say.

Rich... When I was in college a friend was named Carlos Dugan. Female. She said it was kinda neat when she got called into the draft board office (it was that era, remember) for possible prosecution for not registering. Given her "bilt," things were taken care of rapidly, she said. A lovely young woman with red hair and a super smile. Just a "friend," but I've wondered if she's made it this long... Not all of us have.

m

yep and it's not just the 70's I dated a girl in High School named Rainy she had a sister named Sunny and another younger sister named Holly that sounded normal but the last name was Wood so poor little HollyWood probably had it worse than Rainy. I also had a close friend who's parents actually named her BooBoo and teased her nonstop about being a BooBoo since she was 14 years behind her brother, she's probably still in therapy.

And as to no imagination I worked with a man named Adam A. Adams and he never would tell us what the middle A stood for!

Even worse than that My wife had a teacher in college named Harry Balles - those parents were just cruel.

Archived