Gibson Brands Forums

Your thoughts on Pink Floyd

Silverbursted

I am watching "Which one is Pink" on VH1 Classic, and the thought occurred to me. Do you think Pink Floyd would be as big as they are if Sid Barrett didn't go nutzoid and depart? Personally I think if Sid would have stayed, PF would be a just another 60s band that went nowhere.

What are your thoughts???

I think I agree. Although, Gilmore and Waters certainly weren't mainstream pop music, their songs were accessable enough to have wide appeal. Syds songs were too ecclectic and weird IMO, to ever be anything but underground, fringe type music. Similar to something like King Crimson. Some great music, but only the most hard core music fans will listen to it.

If Syd Barrett had not left Pink Floyd, they would've been another great, unheard-of progressive rock band with a small number of die hard fans, much like Hawkwind or Soft Machine.

Think about it. When's the last time you've heard a friend, professional musician, or major music publication mention A Saucerful of Secrets or Piper At The Gates Of Dawn?

I agree with what has been said.

I like both manifestations of Floyd, but I strongly prefer the period after Syd's departure. The Syd Barrett era had some great '60s surfy, chimey riffage but I feel alot of the songs are kindof stupid. Ironically, I'm listening to "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" right now. Later PF certainly took rock to the next level.

Some ultra mind-blowing music.

If Syd Barrett had not left Pink Floyd' date=' they would've been another great, unheard-of progressive rock band with a small number of die hard fans, much like Hawkwind or Soft Machine.

Think about it. When's the last time you've heard a friend, professional musician, or major music publication mention [i']A Saucerful of Secrets[/i] or Piper At The Gates Of Dawn?

+1. a great art rock band living in relative anonymity. regardless, waters' and gilmour's creativity would not have been stymied. those masterful ideas, words, melodies would have come out and syd would have been pushed away to play a lesser role. maniacs are fun to watch but being around mental illness is no treat.

Pink Floyd needed Gilmours Blues Sensibility and Focused Musical Vision to make the Legendary Floyd Album "Dark Side of the Moon."

Side note about Syd Barrets "Acid Intake". He didn't just take too much acid, he was a test subject for some alchemist friends of his from some university (Berkly I think). He blew his mind on a cocktail of hallucinogenics the like of which the world has never seen and may never see again.

It is pretty amazing seeing Waters and Gilmour give so much credit to Barrett. While he was possibly a strong influence in the lyrics Waters and Gilmour wrote, I do agree with you guys that the band (with Barrett) would have been destined for obscurity had he Barrett not discovered a whole new world in which he was the entire populous. Barrett was too much of an influence when he was present.

It is pretty amazing seeing Waters and Gilmour give so much credit to Barrett. While he was possibly a strong influence in the lyrics Waters and Gilmour wrote' date=' I do agree with you guys that the band (with Barrett) would have been destined for obscurity had he Barrett not discovered a whole new world in which he was the entire populous. Barrett was too much of an influence when he was present.[/quote']

perhaps out of gulit? they pay regular homage to him but the reality was that syd was a pain? thought the first two lps are regularly lauded as genius that moved the genre forward.

Yep, I believe David Gilmour and his 3 companions made the true genuine Pink Floyd sound that was so recognisable in the '70's & '80's. It was then that they reached for the first time a wide audience when they were creating that dreaming/floating sheets of music, like Echoes, Breathe, Any Colour you like, etc... Those long parts of guitar music over just 2 till 3 chords, on a straight beat, Rick Wrights organ parts, Roger Waters speaking bass,...that's what made Pink Floyd huge. The guitarist in PF was the determining factor If you'll ask me.

I think Syd must have gotten them all together once and passed the acid around, giving him status to the awakening. Once he went down the wrong road, he awakened them yet again. Once the tribute to him was over, the rest of the band, Waters and Gilmour took it to new levels. No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun...

Archived