Gibson Brands Forums

guitar weight

harmonicchaos

how do you guys cope with your guitar's heaviness. i work out and the guitar is extremely easy for me to pick up (i can pick up things that weigh as much as i do - so i'm not weak and not working out is definitely not an issue) but after i play it standing up for a little while my entire left arm falls asleep and it really affects my playing. should i try a new strap? this problem doesn't happen every time i play but it keeps happening more often the more times i play while standing up. any help would be really nice.

strength vs endurance. Stop lifting heavy and switch to light, and many more reps...

It could be better to have a thicker strap, or a different strap layout that uses both shoulders to hold the guitar. If you're going numb it could be from an old injury or posture.

I have this problem too, but only after an hour and a half of straight playing without any chance to change guitars etc, and only with my heavy 7string. Try the two shoulder strap, most stores sell them...

I dnt work out at all and have never experienced this thing you write about... how weird! And i have owned very heavy guitars. Maybe you should consider a different strap? What kind of strap are you using? I have always used the ones that have foam inside, and i have seen steve harris of iron maiden using some socks with foam (yeah, white socks with red stripes) his tech's mother put together for him on his straps...

I play my Les Pauls 90 percent of the time at gigs, and most of the gigs are 4 solid hours of playing. My Studio weighs 11.3 pounds and I've worn it for countless nights of gigs and never felt worn out by it. The strap is the key. If it's pinching into your shoulder, ditch the strap. Use a wide strap to distribute the weight. Strap height is also a concern. If you wear the guitar down too low, it might look "kewl", but you'll always be slumping down to properly play the guitar.

Use a wide strap. You can buy padded straps. Adjust the strap height to a level that allows you to comfortably play - looks be damned.

That should fix your problem forthwith...............................

thanks guys. this is THE place to ask guitar-relatead questions. i'll look around for a better strap - maybe i'll be able to get one that doesn't need straplocks (I've been using bread bag closer clip type things. thanks to whoever told me about those - it was someone on this forum. can't remember who). i've been wondering why smaller players than me (and ones who don't work out at all) can play for hours with a guitar as heavy as mine or heavier. i guess this gives me an excuse to go to a guitar store =P~

I for one, love heavy Les Pauls...it's part of their appeal...

I've said it a million times...I love my BFG, I just wish it were heavier.

My other two LPs are between 9 - 10 lbs. I love the weight and actually want a heavier one.

I was kinda of disappointed when I learned that the Custom Shop uses finer and lighter wood on their guitars...finer yes but don't use lighter...come on...I want a tank!

I like the heavy LP too and use a wide leather strap. Sometimes though when playing out, I find myself grabbing my LP from the bottom with my right hand and lifting slightly to take the weight off my shoulder for a few seconds between songs.

This may sound anti-intuitive but maybe a THINNER strap. My Explorer is fairly chunky(9.5) but the strap that does the trick is this Fender strap I have thats about an inch wide and made of heavy gauge leather. Its like a belt. I've tried wider straps, and they seem to make the weight issue worse. For me anyway. Also I've noticed if I move around and am really into the show while playing, there is no or little fatigue on my shoulder. I also switch shoulders sometimes(ala Freddie King) if it gets to be too much. I'd love a lighter Explorer but that ****er sounds awesome! Gotta keep it.

My Explorer and LP (not chambered, but does have swiss cheese holes) are fairly heavy and I've never had a problem with them.

I use only Ernie Ball straps (they're basic nylon, maybe about an inch wide) and I am slung as far as you can go.

Maybe I'm just blessed, or my body hasn't caught up to you old farts yet, but I really think the key is good posture. Your natural tendency is to lean forward with the weight (especially when your guitar is at your knees). Instead I keep my shoulders up and back and I swear it's a cure-all for tenseness and fatigue and the works.

Archived