Gibson Brands Forums

AC/DC may cancel in Austria due to birds

NeoConMan

No kidding.

From news.com.au

AUSSIE rockers AC/DC could have to cancel a sold-out concert because their big sound poses a

danger to rare birds. Animal rights campaigners are threatening legal action if the veteran band

goes ahead with a gig planned for Wels airport in Austria in May.

Hans Uhl of BirdLife said birds nesting in the area at the time would be threatened by anthems

such as Highway To Hell and You Shook Me All Night Long.

"The second biggest colony of curlews in Upper Austria and various other ground-nesting birds

must not become endangered," Mr Uhl said, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Tickets for the event - which sees the group return after playing to a sold-out crowd at Vienna’s

Ernst Happel Stadium last May - sold out after going on sale earlier this month.

The event's 80,000 tickets were sold out within hours.

In Australia, the band's Melbourne concerts at Etihad Stadium in February had been in doubt after AFL

objections earlier this year. The AFL said the dates would clash with a possible pre-season NAB Cup match.

But the signing of a new contract between the league and the stadium has allowed AC/DC to go ahead

with the three Melbourne shows on February 11, 13 and 15. The band sold 180,000 tickets for those shows.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, how about the birds fly into a jet engine, die, and the concert goes on.......

I hate birds. All they do is fly, and sh!t.

It's not like they make honey, or something......

All they do, is sh!t......

I say, kill em' all.........

hmmm' date=' interesting topic

remember, if the birds become extinct, they will never come back, and that means gone forever!

[/quote']

Who cares?

All they do is fly, and sh!t.....

Die birds.......

I'm on the birds' side. AC/DC can set up camp anywhere/anytime and flocks of people will come. And having gone to numerous AC/DC concerts' date=' I can attest to the fact that they are LOUD. My ears are still ringing after all these years. [biggrin']

Okay.....

I change my vote.

I'm with Karen......

Here's another for you. We've been trying to get a new bridge built here between Buffalo and Canada for as long as I can remember. So they finally get a "final" design and what happens? State and federal environmental agencies rejected it because the "two-tower concept would be too tall for the common tern to fly over."

You are forgetting something..... The food chain! Birds are part of it. Brake the chain and we all die....[biggrin]

As much as I want to respect this, I also know the food chain is in constant flux, being damaged or broken in some way virtually every day. And sometimes it's natural phenomena rather than human intervention. A lightning-caused wildfire is unbelievably destructive. Even so, one loud concert seems unlikely to produce as much devastation to the food chain as an interstate highway, a high rise building, a wind-farm or a battery manufacturing facility. Shopping centers put loud blasters in their parking lot to annoy birds enough to discourage them from nesting. And the logging industry in the U.S. Pacific Northwest is hobbled in some areas due to Spotted Owl nesting areas. Makes a lot of sense; doesn't it?

There's little to no consistency in these matters. The protests occur where they'll get the greatest publicity, not where they'll do the most good. For the most part it's all about "feel-good" stuff rather than really accomplishing something of a lasting and truly beneficial nature.

Good for them. AC/DC can reschedule.

Check COC's profile - last ten posts.

This is consistent...

:-

I dunno Karen' date=' I've seen AC/DC many times and was always impressed that they weren't [i']that[/i] loud.

They've always sounded really good, balanced and mixed better than you would expect.

Lotsa bands I've seen are much louder, with the expected loss of clarity and balance.

Velvet Revolver comes to mind...

Enviro-Weenies, Political Correctness, all unbridled and free of any moderation with common sense.

It'll kill us all.

My Dad told me years ago, there's one way for environmentalists to impress me.

You wanna save the trees?

Buy the land.

You wanna save the birds?

Buy their habitat.

Put YOUR money where your mouth is instead of mine.

Impress us with your know-it-all 'wisdom', because we'll all be watching YOU now to make sure you do it right....

[cool]

I dunno Karen' date=' I've seen AC/DC many times and was always impressed that they weren't [i']that[/i] loud.

They've always sounded really good, balanced and mixed better than you would expect.

What??

Just kidding. Yeah but Neo, were you standing 12 inches away from the speakers? I was! I saw them just after Bon Scott died, the Back In Black tour in Calgary. No one showed up and about a hundred of us had the whole band to ourselves!

Archived