Gibson Brands Forums

OD pedals

Tim Plains

What do you guys think of these two pedals - TS-9 from Analogman and Timmy?

I don't use pedals much but I'm thinking about getting one of them.

My name's Tim - I should just get a Timmy. [lol]

I don't know about either of those but I do have an Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer. Is that simular at all? Cause it kicks ***! Nice and simple and get's the tones I want.

As far as overdrives go I think my favorites is the hardwire overdrice pedal though.

Also you probably just should get the Timmy :-k

I wish I could help you Tim . My only real experience with any tube screamers is the Ts-808 which I thought was the best out of anything I tried. I had it for 2 years and it was my go to pedal. Guys mod them but I personally liked the stock chip in it.

I was at a clients house not that long ago. He had a TS-9 with the Keeley chip in it and it screamed. Very tasty pedal and wasn't that bad in price either.

Analogman does excellent work. A buddy of mine has bought pedals from them and had them mod pedals he already owned and he raves about them. The one's I've heard sounded great (a Boss OD and a DOD250). They were more lively than the originals for sure.

The thing about a TS-9 (or any Tube Screamer really) is that it sounds like a TS-9. It's a very distinctive sound (a certain mid-range hump I guess) that you either like or don't. With a Strat, it's the key to the SRV highway (especially with two of them) but I don't like them with humbuckers myself. My .02

I know nothing first-hand about the Timmy, Timmy. But this demo makes it look pretty badass! (and more versatile than the TS-9 I'd say)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

What I recently bought, which is actually a moded TS-808, is the Gearmanndude's Luther Drive. The reasons I didn't choose the original TS-808 / TS-9 are these:

1. The Luther is modified in order to fit humbuckers more. Which means that is retains it's clarity even if you max it's gain. Practically, you strumm a chord with full power and then you lightly pick each note and they still shine brightly through the first strumm (if I have illustrated this in a comprehensive way...). Exactly what I wanted.

2. Price. It actually sells in half the price of an Ibanez TS-808, lower than Ibanez TS-9, less than half from a moded TS-9. and it's a hand-built OD pedal, not a mass-produced manufactured one.

Of course anyone can say that this is not a gainy pedal. But that's why I have my Crunch box. They complement each other perfectly.

Anyway, I recommend it highly and you can get a lot of video comparisons from it's maker on you-tube.

As for the Timmy, I have only heard great things about it and I know that it sells in a very reasonable price but with an unreasonable waiting period. And then the guys that buy it from it's maker, reverse that on e-bay, which means that they sell it for double - triple the price they originally paid. There are also some you-tube videos about it, perhaps you can get an idea there.

Good luck Tim.

I own a LOT of Overdrive, boost and distortion pedals. All have their own merits. However....

I've yet to play one, that was "better" than good old overdriven tube distortion. Which is one

reason, to own more than one type and/or size tube amp...for different venues. But now, with

all the great PA systems, you can do with fewer amps, and just find THE ONE(s) you love the most,

and mic it/them, if you need more volume. Nowadays, I seem to use the "clean boost" type pedals,

the most, to overdrive the tubes, to that "Sweet spot," when needed. Of course, a lot depends on

your style of play, and music. Mine is (mostly) "Classic" Rock, Blues, Blues Rock, and some "Country,"

as well as some "Folk Rock," too. I (fairly recently) started to use my Boss Blues Driver, with the "Gain"

all the way OFF, and the tone about 9 o'clock, and the volume/level from 3/4 to full on. (Sometimes,

depends on venue and/or need) But, doing that gives me more clean sustain, with just a bit of edge

to it, from driving the tubes harder. I really like the effect. So, you might try something like that, with

a current pedal? Just a thought...

CB

I own a LOT of Overdrive' date=' boost and distortion pedals. All have their own merits. However....

I've yet to play one, that was "better" than good old overdriven tube distortion. Which is one

reason, to own more than one type and/or size tube amp...for different venues. But now, with

all the great PA systems, you can do with fewer amps, and just find THE ONE(s) you love the most,

and mic it/them, if you need more volume. Nowadays, I seem to use the "clean boost" type pedals,

the most, to overdrive the tubes, to that "Sweet spot," when needed. Of course, a lot depends on

your style of play, and music. Mine is (mostly) "Classic" Rock, Blues, Blues Rock, and some "Country,"

as well as some "Folk Rock," too. I (fairly recently) started to use my Boss Blues Driver, with the "Gain"

all the way OFF, and the tone about 9 o'clock, and the volume/level from 3/4 to full on. (Sometimes,

depends on venue and/or need) But, doing that gives me more clean sustain, with just a bit of edge

to it, from driving the tubes harder. I really like the effect. So, you might try something like that, with

a current pedal? Just a thought...

CB [/quote']

Well said the only thing I would add is specific tone can be very different depending on pedals also. As a example the Zvex Box of Rock is one of my favorite pedals because it has the classic Marshall tone and can make any amp or venue have the heavy overdriven Marshall amp tone that Rock and Gibson Les Pauls almost demand.

Well said the only thing I would add is specific tone can be very different depending on pedals also. As a example the Zvex Box of Rock is one of my favorite pedals because it has the classic Marshall tone and can make any amp or venue have the heavy overdriven Marshall amp tone that Rock and Gibson Les Pauls almost demand.

thanks for that reference. it sounds great on the demo. are they available from the web site only?

Analogman does excellent work. A buddy of mine has bought pedals from them and had them mod pedals he already owned and he raves about them. The one's I've heard sounded great (a Boss OD and a DOD250). They were more lively than the originals for sure.

The thing about a TS-9 (or any Tube Screamer really) is that it sounds like a TS-9. It's a very distinctive sound (a certain mid-range hump I guess) that you either like or don't. With a Strat' date=' it's the key to the SRV highway (especially with two of them) but I don't like them with humbuckers myself. My .02

I know nothing first-hand about the Timmy, Timmy. But this demo makes it look pretty badass! (and more versatile than the TS-9 I'd say)

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

I think the guy in this video is Thundergod. But then again any one with snake skin cowboy boots is thunder in my mind [confused]

Archived