Gibson Brands Forums

Best album of 2009!

DeVeeWee

Could be heavy metal, classic rock, grunge, ...jazz, bossa nova, or even classical music ...but which album blew you away, has knocked you out this year?:-k

Well, this is my confession...besides guitars, I'm an addict to CD's, ...I dare not to tell you the number but I can tell there's a variety of different styles of music in my collection which drives most of my friends crazy...:D

So, it was hard for me to pick an album from one style! On top of that, IMHO, 2009 was a weak year on music!

This is what moved me the most: The revival of Alice in Chains

black_gives_way_to_blue.jpg

Could be heavy metal' date=' classic rock, grunge, ...jazz, bossa nova, or even classical music ...but[b'] which album blew you away, has knocked you out this year?[/b]:-k

Well, this is my confession...besides guitars, I'm an addict to CD's, ...I dare not to tell you the number but I can tell there's a variety of different styles of music in my collection which drives most of my friends crazy...:D

So, it was hard for me to pick an album from one style! On top of that, IMHO, 2009 was a weak year on music!

This is what moved me the most: The revival of Alice in Chains

black_gives_way_to_blue.jpg

I really need to listen to that album!

Also, I only use cds as well. I have music on my computer and my phone. But that music is ripped off of cds that I buy.

This makes me think of another thread to start.

As far as best album I have heard from this year goes I would have to say my favorite is Before the Frost Until the Freeze by The Black Crowes. It is just a kick a$$ live album full of great southern rock/ blues rock sh!t rippin guitar! I don't even own it yet and it's my favorite. I just have listened to it with my dad.

Them Crooked Vultures- some of it is a little... 'out there' but good stuff.

I like a little more alternative/rock stuff, it made me happy. Big Foo Fighter and QOTSA fan so it rocks.

I liked some of what Chickenfoot did, but they really fell off the face of the earth, before when they came out, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about them, and now if you mention the name, most people give you a funny look. I just found it odd, but they are good too.

Didn't Lateralus come out in 2001? GREAT album though...holds up VERY nicely...

I did love that AIC album - its quite brilliant!!

Here's an album that is from a small band out of Oregon called Satan's Pilgrims (not metal!).....

Psychsploitation....its surf rock and its quite trippy....really nice sound to it:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Also, the new Pelican album is pretty killer.....

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

My last choice would be Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect

Prog metal!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6Dybf024A[/YOUTUBE]

Those are my pics I think!

It's been a weak year, I was unimpressed with Chickenfoot, Backspacer, and 21st Century Breakdown. Black Gives Way to Blue was good, but it doesn't get a a lot of playing time around the house. If I go strictly but what I've listened to the most it would be Paul McCartney "Good Evening New York City" but even that is mostly covers of his last 50 years.

Lots of good stuff this year but I pick this...

black-crowes-before-the-frost-until.jpg

Un... believable. The Black Crowes kick serious a$$$.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000 I can listen to this album all day and all night. And I do! At night I go on to their website and they have tons of live recordings you can just listen to for free. I think I will buy this album while I'm at my dad's place this weekend. He has a great record store up in Port Townsend. One of my favorites I've been to [biggrin]

The Last Black Crowes I bought was.... Amorica. Actually I listened to a couple of those they made after it, but it seemed to me that their best work was already behind them, and since I owned their masterpieces (''The Southern harmony & musical companion' IMHO should make it in any ''best albums in r'n'r history ever'' list)...

Anyway, you got me convinced. I'm buying this in a couple of hours. Any other Black Crowes albums, from Amorica onwards, that you would say I should immediately buy & make up for...?

Hector Arcadius,

I can recommend you both 'Before the frost' and 'Warpaint'(2008). Both albums refer back to the early Black Crowes era of which the one you recommend is definitely the summit, IMHO[blink]

My review on Amazon.com about ''The Southern harmony & musical companion'

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2FF9NQR3L0WPC?ie=UTF8&display=public&sort_by=MostRecentReview&page=2

Man, a lot of older bands had killer releases this year.

Let's start with two of my favorite guitar players & church of the sonic guitar profits and my favorite drummer: Sonic Youth - The Eternal

93bb51c88da0bb3c370f1210.L.jpg

And fellow church of the sonic guitar high priest Nels Cline's latest gig: Wilco - Wilco the album

51vfIxeNK3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Archived