Gibson Brands Forums

Always wanted a Tele

jannusguy

I have resisted buying an electric for quite awhile for various reasons. Mostly because of all that you have to buy to go along with it in order for it to be of any use. Still, i've always had an itch for a Tele. This one is available locally and I'm wondering if someone here could weigh in on whether or not it seems to be a good value. Thanks!

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/1538206429.html

link should be fixed now.

I will probably get flamed off the boards for this but I have to say that overall I think I like it more than my LP.

They'll have to take me out too. Been playing the same one for 31 years now.

Over the years I replaced the stock tuners, back pickup, pots, switch...all kinds of stuff. On Christmas Day I got the original parts out of the attic and reinstalled them. Now aside from the new bone nut I made in '93 and the refret Dan Erlewine did that same year, it's right back how it left Fullerton in April of '77.

I also switched to 12-52 D'Addario roundwound nickel and I'm not looking back.

The others come and go, but I know I can pick up that nicotine-yellowed skinny California chick any time day or night and get "the sound" out of her. (Her? Him? It?..... whatever!)

One of my repair customers (close to 25 years) has a few Teles. He shrugs and says, "yeah, they're a neat little guitar for doing some country licks on...". I'd slap him but it wouldn't be nice to injure someone who's already brain damaged.

im a huge fan of tele's

i only became one recently (about six months ago) and i have two...

an MIJ rosewood and a custom made pinecaster...

its a gorgeous guitar they are selling...i like the neck...and im sure it sounds awesome!

my question is this...i have a fender and a custom made and while i love both...absolutely love both in fact...i would still keep the fender until i die!

if this is going to be your first electric in a while and possibly your only one...take a look at gbase.com or other sites and look for a real fender...you can find some in that price range...MIA too!

good luck!

im a huge fan of tele's

i only became one recently (about six months ago) and i have two...

an MIJ rosewood and a custom made pinecaster...

its a gorgeous guitar they are selling...i like the neck...and im sure it sounds awesome!

my question is this...i have a fender and a custom made and while i love both...absolutely love both in fact...i would still keep the fender until i die!

if this is going to be your first electric in a while and possibly your only one...take a look at gbase.com or other sites and look for a real fender...you can find some in that price range...MIA too!

good luck!

so, the one i linked to is not MIA?

so' date=' the one i linked to is not MIA?

[/quote']

The neck shape looks slightly off, there's no string tree, and no Fender decal. It would make me slightly suspicious, ask him to give you the serial number. Even better if you can go look at it, take the neck off and see what's there. It may be an MIA body - Fender made the American Deluxe QMT but I'll bet it's an aftermarket neck - particularly at that price. Still if you can go play it and like the guitar, it's not a bad deal.

I have resisted buying an electric for quite awhile for various reasons. Mostly because of all that you have to buy to go along with it in order for it to be of any use. Still' date=' i've always had an itch for a Tele. This one is available locally and I'm wondering if someone here could weigh in on whether or not it seems to be a good value. Thanks!

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/1538206429.html

link should be fixed now.[/quote']

You escaped from acoustic again too Rob?

I have the same hankering.

Many moons ago I had a US candy apple red tele which was beautiful.

It went the way of so many ( sold to finance X Y or Z)

I had one in my hands just before Christmas but I thought it would look better with bound edges. Special order now apparently!

Looks like my 335s place in the room may be jeopardised!

i'd beware of the 'no decal' thing, too. i'd message him on that. teles are awesome and there are thousands of them to be had. some of the mexican ones are good deals. i would recommend the fender blues jr as an amp. not too pricey, small and beautiful tone.

Yes that Tele looks like a bitser, but there are TONS of reasonably priced decent Teles out there. I hope you find one you like. Like someone else said above have a look at gbase, or check out your local music store. For that money, or just a little bit more, you should be able to find a decent USA made tele. Good luck.

i'd beware of the 'no decal' thing' date=' too.[/quote']

Yup, the only word that is nowhere in the description of the guitar is "Fender".

I would be willing to bet that it's self-made out of parts bought over the internet.

600 clams is too much for someone's failed project...

Archived