Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar cleaning?

Dom_JEM

The Luthier who set up my guitar recommended something like GHS FastFret as I recall, but advised not to use it (or lemon oil) too often because it could soften the fingerboard...

Normally a (moistly) polishing cloth should be enough...

Some people use EXTREMELY fine steel wool (0000 grit) which when used to gently clean the fingerboard will remove dirt. And then lubricate your fingerboard with lemon oil as others have already said here. personally I have never needed to use the steel wool as my fingerboards never get that dirty. CAUTION: do NOT use even extremely fine steel wool on a maple fingerboard as it will remove the finish. For maple use a warm damp cloth and guitar polish. Also please note I am not an expert, so if you're able to find a decent luthier near you. If you can't I can tell you who I use in London.

Valve Oil. I used Lemon Oil forever, till one day............

I had all the strings off my guitar ready to clean the fretboard, and I found myself out of Lemon Oil. I looked around and found the Valve Oil I had recently used on my old Trumpet. Tried it on the 22nd fret of my Deluxe Players Strat (wasn't about to "Test" something new on my Gibson Nighthawk). The Grime and Finger Grease wiped away in one pass, and the oil rubbed into the Rosewood effortlessly. That was about a year ago, and I haven't looked back. I use it on all my Rosewood Fretboards, now.

Do you guys have coin-operated car washes in the UK?

Just kidding....

EXTREMELY fine steel wool (0000 grit).

Make damned sure there are four zeroes on the package.

Then lemon oil - Fret Doctor.

Don't over do it.

I don't play as much as some people, and I keep my hands clean so I don't really worry.

I simply wipe mine down now and then with a dry cotton cloth.

A squirt of polish if a dry cloth won't remove it.

I have used valve oil for a long time (since 1977) I don't know if it's true but I was told not to use lemon oil by a guitar repair guy.

Yep it softens the glue. I used to have a '54 RI LP and 3 fret markers fell out after using lemon oil. I read an article that said it only needs to be done 1-2 times per year for rosewood and lightly at that.

Archived