Gibson Brands Forums

Strike 2...here's hoping my 3rd Les Paul in 3 months is a good one...

madgambler

Strike #1: Dark Fire Model 1056 - came with a US charger to the UK (my guitar tech thinks)...result? buggered and wouldn't charge (obviously 240V was too much for the little black box). Supposedly 'fixed' by Gibson EU but it wasn't. Also the guitar simply had no soul whatsoever...and my god it was heavy!

swapped for...

Strike #2: Les Paul Tribute Model 1936C - awful buzz, turns out the whole design is flawed and the floating bridge is not earthed at all. Not just my guitar but also the other one they had in stock. Same deal. Horrible buzz with reverb that wouldn't go away even while playing. There's no wire to the bridge if you take the backplate off and have a peek. Gibson, did you just rush this model out the door without playing it?? It just won't stay tuned...you only have bend a few notes and the G-string flattens in an instant.

to be swapped for...

I'm thinking an LP Custom...here's hoping...

If this next one is a dud I might just buy a banjo instead and pocket the 2 grand for a holiday...

Really disappointed with the quality of these new models.

Madgambler

Strike #1: Dark Fire Model 1056 -

swapped for...

Strike #2: Les Paul Tribute Model 1936C -

to be swapped for...

I'm thinking an LP Custom...here's hoping...

If this next one is a dud I might just buy a banjo instead and pocket the 2 grand for a holiday...

Your first two purchases were basically the worst guitars Gibson ever made.

I don't think you'll have any problems with a Custom, although the r9 and r9 are also sweet.

Good luck!

Your first two purchases were basically the worst guitars Gibson ever made.

Amen Brotha!!!

[lol]

Can I get a "HELL YEAH!" from everybody?!!?

Custom should be fine, and that's my suggestion.

Reissue is as good as it gets, and if the price is close on the ones you're looking at.....

Excuse the dumb question, but are you buying by Internet or mail? Did you not try out, these other 2 LP's PRIOR

to purchase? It sounds to me, like those problems would have been obvious, from the beginning, had you played

before you purchased. I suggest, with all due respect, that you try several models, and even several of the same

model, in the same amp, you have, prior to making any final decision. Sure would save you, and your dealer, a lot

of trouble and dissatisfaction.

Good Luck, though, with your search/next purchase.

Cheers,

CB

Skip the Custom and get a historic reissue. Problem solved.

For about the same money as a Custom you could get a '58 re-issue. There's no contest IMHO.

As opposed to buying just about the worst guitars Gibson have ever made (as mentioned by others) you'll be buying just about the best.

Lucky me, I picked their worst guitars then. Oh well...

The try before you buy arguement does make a lot of sense...but these flaws have become apparent after hours of playing, not minutes. Thankfully the shop I bought them from have been very understanding and sympathetic.

I think I'll take this one...

...or this one...

Madgambler

For about the same money as a Custom you could get a '58 re-issue. There's no contest IMHO.

Well' date=' as long as you're cool with a FAT neck and plain top.

If so, you betcha!

[cool

Still can't really go wrong with a Custom - if it saves you some money.

Best advice: buy used! plenty of good used Gibson LP's from the past 30 years are all over the place. You'll save a buncha change.

Heck maybe start out with a studio. Sure it doesn't have the bling and such that the higher end models do, but it'll cost you less, and it's a great guitar. Don't assume that just because it costs a ton it's gonna be the best one for you.

Of course, I shouldn't talk. I bought a H150CM (heritage LP clone) just because it looked awesome.

Nothing wrong with Heritage.

Fantastic guitars.

With all the Gibson clones out there' date=' I'd say that's not a fair characterization for a Heritage.[/quote'] They are great guitars. I was just trying to avoid possibly rubbing some people the wrong way. It's a great guitar, weighs a ton, and only has 3 rim dings, and is otherwise perfect. it's a 2005 model and plays like a dream.

But the reason I went with this particular one was the awesome color. If you've got color choices, no reason to get stuck with a guitar in a color you don't like.

http://www.tbonesullivan.com/guitars/H150CMa.jpg.jpg

Hmmm...just saw the lovely finish on a Push Tone...

And it's a bit cheaper...

I'm thinking maybe I'll grab that instead and ask for some goodies to go with it :-k

Now what could I spend the difference (£400) on that would be worthwhile...a decent valve amp maybe?

Madgambler

Seeing as you are in the UK, I'd go for a Laney, Marshall, or Vox, in that order. Laney makes some great amps, and is somewhat underrated compared to Marshall (somewhat overrated). The pushtones are NICE... I thought about getting one for a while. Just seemed like such an awesome concept.

robot guitars just arent good.. pretty to hang on the wall but thats it you cant call yourself a real guitarist and not be able to tune your guitar#-o

I know you only have a few posts, but if you make a moronic statement like that, I'll call you a moron. You can say you don't like 'em or you can't see the benefit, but you most likely, don't have the right, or the experience with 'em to say they are no good!

I do know how to tune my guitar, but I can't do it fast enough to alter between songs on stage (until now). Also, I only have experience with the Original Robot, but I have let professional musicians with over 30 years experience play it through Marshall, Laney, and Fender amps and ALL have said they never heard a guitar with such good and warm tone. And these guys would be the first to tell it like it is.

Flame me all you want, but remember, I don't care what you play as long as you're happy with it.

Go to the garage and find that crowbar and pry open your mind, and you just might realize it's a wonderful world where a company like Gibson has a line of guitars so varied, that they have one to please each and every one of us.

I know you only have a few posts' date=' but if you make a moronic statement like that, I'll call you a moron. You can say you don't like 'em or you can't see the benefit, but you most likely, don't have the right, or the experience with 'em to say they are no good!

I do know how to tune my guitar, but I can't do it fast enough to alter between songs on stage (until now). Also, I only have experience with the Original Robot, but I have let professional musicians with over 30 years experience play it through Marshall, Laney, and Fender amps and ALL have said they never heard a guitar with such good and warm tone. And these guys would be the first to tell it like it is.

Flame me all you want, but remember, I don't care what you play as long as you're happy with it.

Go to the garage and find that crowbar and pry open your mind, and you just might realize it's a wonderful world where a company like Gibson has a line of guitars so varied, that they have one to please each and every one of us. [/quote']

I'm with you VBB. I have a 08 Robot and think it is the cats ***. I bought it not for the tuning feature but because I was able to get a wonderful guitar at a reasonable price (1200 Can) that happens to have some extra toys on it. One day I'll be able to justify buying a 1960 Tapered neck re-issue but for now I get to play the real deal and not have to eat puppy food.

Archived