Gibson Brands Forums

Bolt on necks on gibby style guitars and set necks on fender style guitars

Thundergod

Is it just me or each of those designs have it's own place and shouldn't be used where they don't belong?

I have owned both fender superstrats (USA and korea showmaster) and telecasters (korean JA90) with set necks and they just didn't look or feel right, they felt like toys.

I have owned both les paul and SG shaped guitars with bolt on necks and they didn't look or feel right, they too felt like toys.

Same goes for neck through designs... they seem to be made for certain brands and certain models.

Am I nuts or does anyone else feel the same way?

Is it just me or each of those designs have it's own place and shouldn't be used where they don't belong?

I have owned both fender superstrats (USA and korea showmaster) and telecasters (korean JA90) with set necks and they just didn't look or feel right' date=' they felt like toys.

I have owned both les paul and SG shaped guitars with bolt on necks and they didn't look or feel right, they too felt like toys.

Same goes for neck through designs... they seem to be made for certain brands and certain models.

Am I nuts or does anyone else feel the same way? [/quote']

Yes, most assuredly.

It's just what we're used to.... tradition. Set neck Fenders do nothing for me. I'm a little more accepting of bolt neck Gibsons because in the early 80s when they pushed Challengers, Sonexes, Invaders, all for $299 or $399 retail, and they were killer guitars!

I owned an S-1 and a Marauder, but for some reason just couldn't warm up to them.

I'll 3rd that!

A neck through LP' date=' with Axcess contours and a realistic price. Would buy that in a heartbeat.

DJ

--[/quote']

I would rather have a neck through V...mmmm.

Hell i want a neck through on all type of gibson guitars! [biggrin]

That's NOT a fender... even if it was made by fender and has "fender" on the headstock [biggrin]

Sounds like someone has a grudge against Fender. What, pray tell, is it?

A good guitar is a good guitar. As long as the contruction is good, I'm not really picky if it's set neck, bolt on, neck through or set though. I've got 'em all.

I certainly understand that "toy" feeling, but for me it has to do with more than just the neck. My MIM Strat feels like a toy compared to my American Strat. Both have bolt-on necks. I always wondered if it may be psychological though. The MIM Strat doesn't sound as good both with or without the amp and maybe my ears are telling my brain that it's a "toy."

A Sonex was mentioned here. This was my first guitar, which I played for many years before buying another guitar. I don't play the Sonex much these days, but it still feels great in my hands. It sounds great with a lot of distortion but it can't come close to a Les Paul in terms of that just-dirty blues sound. However it doesn't feel like a toy to me. This may be due to the fact that it's the guitar I've played the most in my life.

Hmm, I guess the bottom line for me is that I'm one messed up dude because I'm contradicting myself. Well, I think that the answer to your question is "yes" but it's not solely based on your reason why for me...

Sounds like someone has a grudge against Fender. What' date=' pray tell, is it?

A good guitar is a good guitar. As long as the contruction is good, I'm not really picky if it's set neck, bolt on, neck through or set though. I've got 'em all.[/quote']

Not at all, I love fender guitars, specially those with 2 single coils and a 3 way switch, only one body cut and a metal control plate.[lol]

Don't get me wrong, I own 2 USA strats and they sound nice, but my teles sound even better and are more confortable and sexy.[cool]

BUT, that thing in the picture is not your usual fender, it looks more like an ibanez or something like that [lol]

By the way, right now I would buy USA stuff from fender before buying it from gibson. Custom shop stuff I would probably buy from gibson first, maybe, maybe not.

Not at all' date=' I love fender guitars, specially those with 2 single coils and a 3 way switch, only one body cut and a metal control plate.[biggrin']

Don't get me wrong, I own 2 USA strats and they sound nice, but my teles sound even better and are more confortable and sexy.[lol]

BUT, that thing in the picture is not your usual fender, it looks more like an ibanez or something like that [cool]

By the way, right now I would buy USA stuff from fender before buying it from gibson. Custom shop stuff I would probably buy from gibson first, maybe, maybe not.

I'm just giving you a hard time TG. I know you're a tele guy. I'm still waiting for a Tele Plus to find it's way to me. And no, not because of Radiohead. Not a fan, I just really like the Tele Plus.

Archived