Gibson Brands Forums

If you could own one non-gibson acoustic...what would it be?

dem00n

Ummmm..... do you mean "If you were stranded on a desert island and had to have one non-Gibson" or do you mean "if you could pick one non-Gibson that you don't currently own"?

Not trying to be anal (my wife hates it when I get that way) just looking for clarification of the query.

Lots of choices, but a few come specifically to mind...

Martin 00-28VS or 000-28VS

Martin D-18V in '33 Ambertone

Martin D-45 Celtic Knot

Taylor 610 LTD BTO with wild horses fretboard

Taylor GS-6 in Amber finish

Taylor GC-6

Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special

Guild D-55 Ice Tea Burst

Bourgeois Celtic Jumbo in cedar/walnut

Bourgeois Slope-shoulder models of all sorts

Lowden S32 in cedar/walnut

Modele Jazz from various makers (Selmer/Macaferri knockoff)

Eastman Acoustic Archtop in maple, forget the model number

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

Ummmm..... do you mean "If you were stranded on a desert island and had to have one non-Gibson" or do you mean "if you could pick one non-Gibson that you don't currently own"?

Not trying to be anal (my wife hates it when I get that way) just looking for clarification of the query.

Uh if you stranded on a desert island and have to have one non gibson should fit it.

A short scale custom Santa Cruz OMPW with madrose b/s, Lutz spruce top, all hide glue construction, 1 3/4 nut, soft V neck. My dream guitar. Probably never in the cards, so, other than that, a Dan Roberts version of an LG-2 with maple b/s and sitka top and a 30's Gibson full body sunburst.

Well if you're asking me TODAY (it changes you see) it would be a very tasty Breedlove DM Revival. Their take on a pre-war- ish Martin D-18. Sounds very similar to a great '64 D-18 I played a while back. Different specs but similar sparkling trebles, deep but focused bass and incredible note to note clarity. Not too expensive either. Very impressive. I've owned a good D-18 GE too but I prefer the sound of the Breedlove. I found a breif review clip here:

As far as other brands, I've owned all the new Martins I was interested in, had a nice Collings D-1A for a while and currently own a Huss and Dalton TD-R custom Brazilian dread. The most tempting right now are a '54 SJ I wrote about in another thread but that's outside the OP's question.

Archived