Gibson Brands Forums

Leon Redbone

Oubaas

I was in an unusual mood this morning and sat around playing and singing most of the stuff from Leon Redbone's first four albums.

Crazy Blues, Big Time Woman, Nobody's Sweetheart, Mississippi Delta Blues, and a few others. My wife likes Leon's music very well, and I have been a fan since a long time ago. Saw him live, along with Billy Crystal once up in New York. Terrific show!

Any other Leon Redbone fans out there? Anyone know what guitars he owns and plays?

Cheers!

Rick...[love]

A couple of decades ago, when I first saw Les Paul play in NYC, Leon Redbone was in the audience. Les spotted him and asked him to come up on stage. Leon served as vocalist for the entire evening. I got both to sign a CD cover after the show. My Lester and Chester CD is really a Lester and Leon CD.

• 3 years later...

A couple of decades ago, when I first saw Les Paul play in NYC, Leon Redbone was in the audience. Les spotted him and asked him to come up on stage. Leon served as vocalist for the entire evening. I got both to sign a CD cover after the show. My Lester and Chester CD is really a Lester and Leon CD.

Wow....

Saw him often years ago. He lived right near me, a few towns away, and played the colleges in the area quite a bit. Love his stuff.

For years I suspected he was Frank Zappa in disguise.

I have since sobered up.

• 6 years later...

The only guitar he played with consistency once he became well known was a Gibson CF-100, but I have no idea how old it was. The model was introduced in 1950, the E version a year later.

But even then, he continued to play various guitars, from a 1930s Martin F-hole archtop, to a Dobro or National, to some modern-age Takamine or other Asian import with a cutaway and electronics. But the CF-100 was his go to more often than not for big performances on TV, etc. And it was not included in the auction he had after he retired, as far as I remember.

I first saw him with an 0-15, although it might have been a 00-17, since he preferred older guitars and the 0-15 didn't get a mahogany top until 1940 or 1941.

He played a 1930 OM-18 on his first appearance on Saturday Night Live in 1977.

I have seen photos with some sort of oval center hole Gibson, an L3 probably rather than an L1. I vaguely remember seeing him with something that might have been a Nick Lucas Special, but that might be my remembering the Gibson just mentioned.

Glad to see there are so many fans of Leon here -  I love his playing and he was a major inspiration for me when I decided to put the flatpick away and learn to play with my fingers.   So many legendary stories about this fascinating guy and to me he was the gateway to a whole era of great music!

• 3 years later...
Ain't Misbehavin' - On the Tracks - Leon Redbone
(intro)
A6     x07675
Ebdim7 xx7878
E9     x76777

(verse)
A6 x07675
D6 xx4435
D7 x7675x
E9 x76770

(bridge)
Gbm  2x4222
D7   x5453x
Gb6  xx4342
Dbm6 x4232x
D7   x7675x
...  x7667x
Gbm6 x9787x

[Intro]

e|----|---------5-----7h|8------9----------------|-5--5--------------5-|----------------5-----|
B|----|---5--7----------|----7--------7--7--7----|-5--5--5--0--4--5----|----------------------|
G|--5h|6-----------6----|--8-------7--------7----|----6--7-------------|----6--5--6-----------|
D|----|7-----7-----7----|7------7-----------6--x-|-7--7--6-------------|-7-----6-----------7--|
A|----|-----------------|-------------7----------|-0--------7-----7----|-------------0--------|
E|----|-----------------|------------------------|---------------------|----------------------|

[Verse 1]

No one to talk to            all by myself       No one to walk with  But I'm happy on the shelf
e|------5-----------5-------|-----------------------|----5-----------0-------|-5-5-5-----5-----5------|
B|---------7-----7----------|-----------------------|----5--7--0-----------0-|-3-3-3-----6------------|
G|---------------------6----|-7--x--6--7----------5-|-6--------0--5-----5----|-4-4-4--4-----------7---|
D|---------7--x--------7--x-|-----------------------|-7-----7----------------|-4------------------7---|
A|---0-----------0----------|------------------5----|-------------6-----6----|--------5-----0---------|
E|--------------------------|-7-----6-----7---------|------------------------|------------------------|

Ain't misbehavin'       I'm savin' my love for you
e|------5-----5-----5-------|----------0-----0----|-5--5--5-----5--5--------|----------------0--------|
B|---------7--5--7--5-------|----0--4s-5----------|-5--7--5-----4-----------|-5--0--4--5--------------|
G|-5h6-----6-----------6--x-|-------7-----------7-|----------x--------------|-7-----7-----------7--5--|
D|---7-----7-----7-----7----|-------------6-----6-|-------7-----4-----4-5-6-|-------------------6-----|
A|--------------------------|-7-----7-----7-------|-0-----------------------|-7-----7-----7-----------|
E|--------------------------|-0-------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|

I know for certain         The one I love    I'm through with flirtin'  It's just you I'm thinkin' of
e|------5-----------5-------|-----------------------|----5-----------0-------|-5-5-5-----5-----5------|
B|---------7-----7----------|-----------------------|----5--7--0-----------0-|-3-3-3-----6------------|
G|---6-----------------6----|-7--x--6--7----------5-|-6--------0--5-----5----|-4-4-4--4-----------7---|
D|---7-----7--x--------7--x-|-----------------------|-7-----7----------------|-4------------------7---|
A|---------------0----------|------------------5----|-------------6-----6----|--------5-----0---------|
E|--------------------------|-7-----6-----7---------|------------------------|------------------------|

e|------5-----5-----5-------|----------0-----0----|-5--5--5-----5--5--------|----------------0--------|
B|---------7--5--7--5-------|----0--4s-5----------|-5--7--5-----4-----------|-5--0--4--5--------------|
G|-5h6-----6-----------6--x-|-------7-----------7-|----------x--------------|-7-----7-----------7--5--|
D|---7-----7-----7-----7----|-------------6-----6-|-------7-----4-----4-5-6-|-------------------6-----|
A|--------------------------|-7-----7-----7-------|-0-----------------------|-7-----7-----7-----------|
E|--------------------------|-0-------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|

[Bridge]

Like Jack Horner      In the corner           Don't go nowhere       What do I care?
e|---2------------2----|-----------------------|----2--2--2--2--2----|--------------------------|
B|---2----2----2-----2-|----0-----------3------|----4--4--4--4--4----|----2--2--2---------------|
G|---2----2----2-----2-|-5-----5--5------------|-------------------6-|----3--3--3-----3---------|
D|--------4----4-----4-|-4-----4--4--------4s7-|-4-----4-----4-----4-|-2------------------------|
A|---------------------|-5-----5-----5---------|---------------------|-4-----4-----4-----x-5-6--|
E|---2-----------------|-----------------------|---------------------|--------------------------|

Your kisses are worth       waitin' for                                    Believe me
e|------------------------|------------------------|----------------------------|---------------0-----|
B|--------5----5--5-----x-|----7--7--x--7--7--7--x-|-5-5-5--5-5-5--4-4-4--4-4-4-|-5----5--5--------5--|
G|--------7----7--7-----x-|----6--6--x--8--8--8--x-|-7-7-7--7-7-7--7-7-7--7-7-7-|-7----7--7--------7--|
D|--------6----6-----6----|-6-----------7----------|-6--------------------------|-6----6-----6-----6--|
A|---7---------7-----7----|-7-----7-----9-----9----|-7------7------7------7-----|-7----------7--------|
E|------------------------|------------------------|----------------------------|---------------------|

[Verse 2]

I don't stay out late        Don't care to go   I'm home about eight  Just me and my radio
G|---------------------6----|-7--x--6--7----------5-|-6--------0--5-----5----|-4-4-4--4-----------7---|
D|---------7--x--------7--x-|-----------------------|-7-----7----------------|-4------------------7---|
A|---0-----------0----------|------------------5----|-------------6-----6----|--------5-----0---------|

[Bridge]

Like Jack Horner      In the corner           Don't go nowhere       What do I care?
e|---2------------2----|-----------------------|----2--2--2--2--2----|--------------------------|
B|---2----2----2-----2-|----0-----------3------|----4--4--4--4--4----|----2--2--2---------------|
G|---2----2----2-----2-|-5-----5--5------------|-------------------6-|----3--3--3-----3---------|
D|--------4----4-----4-|-4-----4--4--------4s7-|-4-----4-----4-----4-|-2------------------------|
A|---------------------|-5-----5-----5---------|---------------------|-4-----4-----4-----x-5-6--|
E|---2-----------------|-----------------------|---------------------|--------------------------|

Your kisses are worth       waitin' for                                    Believe me
e|------------------------|------------------------|----------------------------|---------------0-----|
B|--------5----5--5-----x-|----7--7--x--7--7--7--x-|-5-5-5--5-5-5--4-4-4--4-4-4-|-5----5--5--------5--|
G|--------7----7--7-----x-|----6--6--x--8--8--8--x-|-7-7-7--7-7-7--7-7-7--7-7-7-|-7----7--7--------7--|
D|--------6----6-----6----|-6-----------7----------|-6--------------------------|-6----6-----6-----6--|
A|---7---------7-----7----|-7-----7-----9-----9----|-7------7------7------7-----|-7----------7--------|
E|------------------------|------------------------|----------------------------|---------------------|

[Verse 3]

I don't stay out late        Don't care to go   I'm home about eight  Just me and my radio

| h  Hammer-on
| x  Dead note
| s
slide

• Like 1

On 2/14/2010 at 6:02 AM, Oubaas said:

Any other Leon Redbone fans out there? Anyone know what guitars he owns and plays?

Rick...[love]

Rick, I have been a fan for a very long time.    I do a few of his songs...... "Seduced" has probably been in my repertoire since the early 80's, and "She Ain't Rose" since the late 80's!

1 hour ago, rct said:

Remember him on Saturday Night Live?  I do.  A good one.

rct

I saw him. 1976 I think. I thought it was a skit. I thought it was Frank Zappa. Found the album shortly thereafter at a small music store in Orono, ME that had a ridiculous amount of non-Billboard albums. 

Until this thread I never thought of Zappa.  Well, I've never thought of Zappa for any reason, but particularly not as Leon Redbone.  Interesting that a few here said similar.  We had a record or two of his around the house, I can remember plonking at my Penco acoustic along to them.

rct

We had an underground/open format fm radio in the Mesa/Phoenix market from '70 thru most of '77. 

I was blessed to hear that stuff as a young budding guitarist, along with a ton of other "unknown" artist's music. I still search for that type of format today. It was magical.

I only saw Leon once which was at the Town Crier Cafe (my home away from home in the 1970s).  I do not recall the year but it was after his first LP came out (which I immediately ran out and bought) but before the second one was released so sometime in the middle of the decade.   I do not recall him being a big influence on me though.  Others who I saw up there such as Eric Schoenberg and Roy Book Binder back when he had Fats Kaplan on violin with him were the guys who sent me back to school. 

Edited by zombywoof