Gibson Brands Forums

What Are You Working On Lately?

Oubaas

What are you working on lately, musically?

Today, I've been messing around with Jim Croce's "These Dreams", picking and singing, at the request of my wife. Finally got the chords ironed out to where I like it. There's subtle things, like playing a D/A instead of just a D in some places, and descending progressions that had to be ironed out and so on.

And now that I can play it in first position with open chords, I need to transcribe it all in my head and move it up to where I'm capoed at the fifth fret, like Jim and Maury played it.

How 'bout you? What are ya workin' on these days?

Cheers!

Rick...[cool]

Actually, I started something and now I can't stop screwing with it. It's Arlen Roth's lesson on chordal soloing up the neck. It's on Gibson's lifestyle main page. Very cool stuff! It's like another door opened up on the fretboard! Just can't put it down! Ya know, that guy is one helluva guitar player!

Whew! You all ain't shy of tacklin' the heavy stuff, are ya?!?!

Larry, I'm going to have a look at that Arlen Roth lesson on the Gibson site, that sounds good!

Sheesh, I been pattin' myself on the back for doing Jimmy Page's acoustic stuff so well, lately. But it seems like folks in this forum routinely go after difficult pieces!

I'll tackle Wes Montgomery and occasional Django and Howard Alden. And some Duke Ellington arranged for guitar. I like jazz sometimes. I can do a lot of Wes fairly well. But mostly I fingerpick and sing. I don't always play the heavy stuff.

Overall, though, you're more likely to hear me doing a George Strait tune, or something like that.

Cheers!

Rick...[thumbup]

On the opposing end of people who are tackling really difficult things I'm just working on being competent basic stuff, a lot of dylan songs some zz top eagles willie brown and muddy waters. seems I'm miles behind most people.

On the opposing end of people who are tackling really difficult things I'm just working on being competent basic stuff' date=' a lot of dylan songs some zz top eagles willie brown and muddy waters. seems I'm miles behind most people. [/quote']

Nothin' wrong with the stuff you're workin' on, Bluesbreather! I play lots of those sorts of things. And look at it this way, we're all still learning, even me and I'm two days older than dirt and have been playin' since 1968! And you're not behind everybody. You're way out ahead of a lot of people, too, you can rest assured of that!

If you want any unsolicited pointers, two really good books that will accelerate you in the right direction would be Mark Hanson's "The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking", and Mark Hanson's "The Art of Solo Fingerstyle Guitar."

Veddy, veddy goot stoff!

Cheers!

Rick...[cool]

My "woodshed" song this week is Diana Krall's version of "How Insensative", written by Antonio Carlos Jobim. I will have to perform this song with the 20 piece big band in concert on March 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa9-NeQTIiY

Now if you asked this question last week the answer would have been a little more exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB8vzBcoEcg

Any jazz fans around here?

I'm stuck on finding a suitable strumming pattern for a song. I just can't get the groove for it but I really want to do the song. Other than that I've been playing I Only Want To Be With You and You've Got To Hide Your Love Away. I think I'm in a slump over that one song tho' [cool]

Flatpicking. I recently discovered Flatpicking Guitar Magazine. What a great resource! By far the best put together magazine I've seen. Very little advertising, a lot of good songs and instruction.

CAMELEYE: Volume 10, Issue 2 (Jan/Feb 2006) is all dedicated to Western Swing, you might check it out on their website.

All of there back issues can be purchased or downloaded in both PDF and MP3 format! They also have a lot of free downloads.

I've been working on Bully of the Town and Arkansas Traveler.

Any jazz fans around here?

See my second post above. In addition to Duke Ellington' date=' Wes Montgomery, and Django, I also do some Jobim and Bonfa, for which I bought an Amalio Burguet 3M spruce. Sometimes I also mess around with Coltrane, Charlie Parker, and even Miles on guitar, too.

But in general, it's either country or stuff like Jim Croce or Gordon Lightfoot.

Oh, and CH and AJ, I [i']like[/i] Yamahas and Seagulls! I actually covet a Seagull Artist Studio and a Yamaha LL26. Nothing wrong with them. Wouldn't mind a Takamine NV360S, either!

Cheers!

Rick...[lol]

I just bought a 1962 Gibson RB-170 open back banjo. There's always banjos around here but this is my first Gibson banjo! Yay!

Over the years I've noodled on them but never much cared for the whole bluegrass three finger roll "I can play Cripple Creek faster than you" style. I'm a Pete Seeger freak and I also am completely and utterly blown away by Steve Martin when he plays clawhammer.

Steve is playing an RB-170 identical to mine.

I'm trying to learn clawhammer from the beginning. I don't want to abandon my (non) style, but it's hard to discipline myself to go slow and do it right. And I can't seem to rap the strings with my fingernails right; I keep my nails very short so the fingertips are in the way.

It's like lifting weights, ksdaddy.

You make huge progress at first in a very short time, not because you got that strong all of a sudden, but because you got used to making that movement. You have to burn movement paths into your brain.

If you refuse to stop repeating a movement, your body and brain will give in eventually and you'll get good at whatever particular movement you keep doing.

Keep it up! You'll be frailing and playing that old time clawhammer stuff before you know it, and wondering why you ever found it difficult.

Cheers!

Rick...[laugh]

Banjo. This is what I mostly play 'at' of late. (Clawhammer old time stuff.) I'm going back this summer to live a week with an old time mountain banjo player and drink in the waters from the source-- and prettttty excited about that!

Guitar. I'm not much for learning particular pieces. For instance, I'll work on a Fahey piece but then forget it a week after it's memorized. I've been playing with a young woman singer/fiddler, and have worked out some guitar breaks here and there, and enjoy that more. I have been learning how to get around with a flatpick over the last year, and that's been fun!

"If it Hadn't Been for Love".......The Steel Drivers

"Flyin' Shoes"........Townes Van Zant

I have given up completely playing with the pointy part of the pick. I use the shoulder of the pick as I like the sound better and it is much faster transitioning from individual notes to strummed chords. Does anybody else like it this way?

I have given up completely playing with the pointy part of the pick. I use the shoulder of the pick as I like the sound better and it is much faster transitioning from individual notes to strummed chords. Does anybody else like it this way?

What's a pointy part of the pick? I'm pretty much stuck on these expensive Wegen picks-- the tri-sided esp- with three rounded corners. It seems easier to get a more laid back thing going.

Archived