Gibson Brands Forums

So I want to buy a tube amp.... but

DAS44

First off, I'd be paying. I am not making my parents pay for anything that expensive.

My dad, refuses to listen to me. The only thing he says on the subject is "Why do you need another amp?". I've been trying to explain it to him but nope he wont listen.

The thing is, I have ONE amp, and a crappy solid state amp at that! Whenever I want to go try an amp out he starts yelling "WHY DO YOU NEED ANOTHER AMP?"....

Parents...

Any ideas for how I can convince him to go along with it?

First off' date=' I'd be paying. I am not making my parents pay for anything that expensive.

My dad, refuses to listen to me. The only thing he says on the subject is "Why do you need another amp?". I've been trying to explain it to him but nope he wont listen.

The thing is, I have ONE amp, and a crappy solid state amp at that! Whenever I want to go try an amp out he starts yelling "WHY DO YOU NEED ANOTHER AMP?"....

Parents...

Any ideas for how I can convince him to go along with it?[/quote']

It's not only the parents - wifes act in the same way !

[cool]

Peter

Parents...

Any ideas for how I can convince him to go along with it?

A Job [crying]

A little more seriously

If he's not a musician he won't understand they never due my wife just shakes her head now, she knows if she says anything I'll start talking about purses and shoes.

... or diamonds....

[crying]

Actually, my wife gets it.

She knows when a guitar sounds good.

Comes from sitting at a lot of gigs watching the crowd - and the musicians she knows in the crowd.

That, and she has a pretty good idea of what makes the hair stand up on my arms when I hear something I like.

Of course, she has to take a deep breath when she sees the price tags but she's seen how I get heartburn

in a hurry when the sticker shock rocks be back. She knows I won't spend stupid money.

The joke is, I'm the guy who will spend $4,000 on a guitar but I won't pay 40 cents to put cheese on a burger.

My dad has played guitar for most of his life and he has been a massive gear addict so he definately understands.

My mom doesn't really seem to care but she plays piano so I'm sure she understands what it's all about.

My step dad doesn't play guitar but he says there is a big difference in my sound on my ac30 from my old Peavy. It probably has something to do with the fact that my ac30 is about 10 times louder so he can actually hear it.

I usually play through it with the master volume all the way up so he definately hears it.

My parents helped me buy my guitar but certainly wouldn't buy me that kind of stuff.

I paid for my amp myself and for most of my SG. I bought the Big Muff but my dad gave me his JH CryBaby, his Boss ce-3, and his Boss delay. So I certainly owe it to my parents for supporting me.

Obviously everything else they do for me totally eclipses that.

What are you asking ? you say you will be paying right ? Or do you just need a ride to the store ?

No one but a guitarist understands needing another amp..............

You get money .......you have a say in what your gonna do with it.

+1 to Neoconman, when my girlfriend learned that all I wanted to get for Christmas (using money and gift cards and savings combined) was an SG she wasn't sure at first, but once she heard it she was convinced, and she saw that it made me happy too. Parents want to see you succeed, and they want you to have money to take care of them later on. You can show them things like guitars and amps bought for next to nothing 40-50 years ago and what they're worth now and make it a "smart investment" for your future. I mean, they care about you, but they care about who'll change their diapers in years to come, also.

-Brandon

A little more clarity would be helpful. Why is your father so concerned about how you spend your money? Did you earn the money yourself or was it given to you for a specific purpose? What size amp are you wanting to purchase? How old are you? I have a 20 year old son myself and while I may try to help my son learn how to budget his money and make intelligent purchases in the end it is his money he worked for and his decision how to spend it. A little more insight would help us try to help you.

My parents generally trust my opinion in gear related things..

I haven't made a on-the-spur purchase ever, and they say, I always research the stuff I want to buy...

When I bought my soldering stuff, I knew exactly what to do in theory.

When it stopped working, my older sibling told me I shouldn't have done anything and I messed up my expensive guitar.

My parents supported me, knowing how I researched what to do etc, and it worked.

And besides, after I bought my Champ, I got my parents to listen to the difference between the Super Champ and the Line 6

Blues Junior?

You need that amp.

Let's see....

Too young to donate blood, plasma or sperm.

Probably not a competent criminal.

Too cold to mow grass up there, all the snow covering it this time of year...

Yeah, I got nothing.

But you need that amp.

Blues Junior?

You need that amp.

Let's see....

Too young to donate blood' date=' plasma or sperm.

Probably not a competent criminal.

Too cold to mow grass up there, all the snow covering it this time of year...

Yeah, I got nothing.

But you [b']need[/b] that amp.

I dont really NEED anything, nor do you.

note the thread title said "want"

You should first answer your dad's question, "Why do you need another amp?"

Where did your first amp come from? Did your parents buy it for you? If they bought it for you then that could be part of the problem.

Honestly, just tell your dad that you don't need another amp, but that you just want it.

I agree that the thing to do is to explain, "why do you need another amp."

For example, I know a high school kid who has constantly upgraded his stuff from various cash sources with full support of his parents because he's starting to gig and since he was in Middle School, he was playing for school musicals, etc. In fact, this weekend he's playing for a school musical that his mother wrote - she wrote the whole play and lyrics, another student and a music teacher did the tunes for the lyrics.

So... Mom knows the amp has to have a degree of volume and quality to "work."

What's your "need?"

I hadda buy my first amp, a Deluxe Reverb, 'cuz I was gigging. Nobody suggested a discouraging word - although my Dad thought I was a little far out on music style. But then he also knew he'd had a bad old guitar he never learned how to play. (He later got a baritone uke and sorta learned how. <grin> He was more of a singer type and did well at that.)

m

Listen to me....

I have a Blues Junior.

You need that amp.

[lol]

hahahahaha

Thanks fer that.

I got to play one the other day, I loved it. Holy crap did I mention it was awesome?

and yes guys IM PAYING. I have the cash right now too....

Archived