Gibson Brands Forums

Is ANYBODY still buying the Dark Fire/Robot?

NeoConMan

I was looking at the threads for that stuff here on the Gibson forum.

Some of the thread titles were most revealing....

Broken Disk - Missing Registration Numbers

Is your Dark Fire problem free?

Rip problem

problem of tuning

Spare parts dark fire

String up problem, help!

Problems setting up GR3 - MAC

Is the GR3 tuner accurate?

Can't update Guitar firmware

DF will not startup

Can't find the serial numbers!

Can someone with GR3, RIP Installed on Vista 32 test something for me?

Dark Fire MCK is sticking on 1 position.

Dark Fire stopped working - 48 hrs old arrgh

What was it limited to???

Dark FIre Sound Problem

Will Gibson Complete The Dark Fire?

Peghead not tuning - dark fire

Dark Fire problem - MCK blinking white

Dark Fire not working

Not Tuning

Huge tuning prob

Battery Charge process not working...?

Does the robot interface pack work for regular Robot Guitars?

How Crappy Gibson is to their customers

Tuner not working.

MCK problem

Intonation mode all screwy

More RIP issues, I am afraid

Problems with my DF (PLEASE HELP!)

Good bye Dark Fire

FOR SALE

Gibson Announces Discontinuation of the Dark Fire

After all the warnings from the Olde Guys, and the well-documented issues, I have to ask;

Is ANYBODY still buying the Dark Fire/Robot?

I remember when MIDI was gonna change the world in the eighties, guitars were obsolete...

[omg][biggrin]

I don't know of anyone personally, but I did work with a guy, he was a "one-upper" someone who always had to have a better story/job/guitar/car/girlfriend etc than anyone around him. I ran into him at a mall a few months ago, just before Christmas, and told him that I was looking forward to getting my first Gibson. Right away he started telling me about the Dark Fire Gibson that he has and how sweet everything was about it. Personally, I'm glad he got that, and I got an SG. My little tuner works just fine when I don't, computer guitars are still a long ways away in my opinion.

I guess this one sumarizes it all (in fact it sumarizes Gibson's current customer service and QC issues):

"How Crappy Gibson is to their customers "

By now most of us know right now Gibson couldn't give less of a fukc about the customer.

It's really sad, I want to buy some more guitars from them before I retire (from my guitar buying days) but reading everyting they've done lately I just have to do as Neo always says: vote with my walet. I can't give them my money.

I got GAS for an original robot, and it's because of the finish and and white plastic, bound neck and headstock. I love how it looks. A local store has one ("new" acording to them, I'll post pics of their "new" stuff soon) and they ask something close to 2K for it (a little more). I love the finish and the thing plays nice, but I feel like I'm paying 2K for a studio (with some features and all but still a studio).

If I bought it I would probably change the pickups to white EMG 81/60 set (there, I said it, c'mon dem00n spit it out already [lol]) so that would be an aditional 160 and I wouldn't be able to sell it as original if the time came for me and her to part.

...what to do...

Work or not, Guitar Players don't want thier guitar to do everything but play the notes. You look down at those Monstrous tuning Pegs and think, "Man, some Klusons would look so much sweeter!"

Then you think "Maybe I'd like to change out these Pick Ups, but what kind of Computer will stop working if I disconnect the wrong wire for too long?"

Then you remember Cars, and how you used to be able to work on one when it was broken, but now you need a certified clown with a computer to change your Air Filter. Do you really want that kind of exclusion from your Axe?

When it comes right down to it, that Computer Driven Crap is all Gimmicky Crap! All a guitarist needs is a Good Ear, Nice Wood, and Good Electronics with solid Solder Points, anything else is in the way.

I know very little about the guitar. My local guitar shop has one on display but I have never even touched it. I am always a little leary when Gibson's overview description has the word RIP (Rest In Peace) in it. It reminds me of the Korean car manufacturer KIA (Killed in Action). LOL

Works as advertised - no reliability issues?

None... Have never had a problem. I guess I'm just lucky.... Knock on wood....

Edit: one thing I have noticed is a lot of the problems that people complained about were actually just caused by them not knowing how to work it and not reading the directions properly. Like; My high E string wont tune... Oops the tuner wasn't engaged or My Robot wont charge and they are using a 10 foot long cable they use for playing to connect to the charging unit instead of a very short one....[lol]

Looking at guitars the other day I actually came across a Darkfire. I didn't play it or even touch it but it sure was ugly.

You sure you're not thinking of the Dusk Tiger? Now that's an UGLY guitar. I don't know why they didn't just improve the Darkfire.

i have a Dark Fire. I had some minor trouble right after getting it, specifically the piezo blend knob wasn't working, but a Gibson RMA too care of it quickly.

I am still learning all its options, but from a computer recording perspective it is a lot of fun.

The tuners are not that big on the Dark Fire, and I notice no additional weight or balance issues compared to my Standard.

I like the tonal versatility, but I also fully admit it was an impulse buy: i paid less for it new than I did for my 08 Standard.

some pics:

df1.jpg

df2.jpg

Don

Thats just damn pretty but that's not a First Gen Darkfire is it? That looks like the Second Gen D F.

Thanks!

it is first gen, Serial # DF 0891. Gibson did the "May 2009" upgrades when I sent it in to have the piezo blend fixed, so it's all up to date: is that what you mean?

Don

Take a look at this dark fire in our local version of ebay:

EDIT: the guy took the damn thing down (or maybe my version of evil-bay took it down after I flaged it as fake) it was the lamest atempt at a darkfire you'll ever see.

I think Steve and guitarest (being ibanez fans) will love this one :-$

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ec/MEC-6131429-_JM (for this link to work, replace the **** with the letters c u l o)

Archived