Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson troubles mount . . . big article . . .

Buc McMaster

I haven't been in a Wal-Mart this year' date=' and don't expect to be.

Somebody I know might see me in there.[/quote']

Well, you're already in East Texas, so....

:D/

Years ago, my Mom got bored with doing nothing in Jasper, Texas and went to work in Wal-Mart there.

What a quaint little town Jasper is, eh?

[cool]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm.....

Yamaha?

I had one of the SBG electrics, I would dare say it did everything my Les Pauls do, maybe better.

Made a KILLING on that guitar when I sold it.

I underestimated the market demand for a nice eighties SBG by a long shot!

That might not be such a bad thing.....

[cool]

The article is alright but seems part truth part fiction, I mean a lot of the sources are less than scientific.

It'd be nice to know what is truly objectively going on.

The guy that is working on some of my guitars worked for Gibson for 10 years and he has not said anything bad about the place, I will see him in the next couple of days I'll ask him what's up.

The bottom line is that nobody wants to pull the plug on the company, or force acceleration, because there is good underlying franchise value there and the brand name is so strong,” the first source said. “It’s a matter of working through what appears to be an inability or unwillingness on the part of management to get the lenders what they need. The question is how long will the bank group remain patient?”

It might be smart to pull the plug before the brand isn't so strong?

Well' date=' you're already in East Texas, so....

[blink']/

Years ago, my Mom got bored with doing nothing in Jasper, Texas and went to work in Wal-Mart there.

What a quaint little town Jasper is, eh?

[biggrin]

Small town doesn't mean dumb. I've watched the local Wal-Mart force several small business owners out, and the place sure as hell doesn't enhance the quality of our town. There's more to life than being able to buy Chinese-made crap for the lowest price. Sometimes it's aggravating, for example not being able to find Corning ware anywhere else, but I stick by my guns.

If Wal-Mart were to replace the local music store, we'd have a choice between $99 acoustic guitars, $129 electric guitars, and $149 electronic keyboards. I like a little more variety in my life, thanks very much.

One thing that struck me was the decision not to file charges in reference to the wood question.

That makes a cynical old man wonder the degree to which a disgruntled employee or whatever may have manufactured sufficient rationale to get a real PR disaster rolling down the hill as an act of aggression.

I'd say that a failure to charge the firm should have been more than a few "points" for the company, but not sufficient at all to make up for other pr problems. "Everybody" knew of the problem, who heard it wasn't substantial?

I've said for years that in general, corporate PR has devolved from professionals to what amounts to "secretarial" efforts that only make egotistical corporate or governmental bureaucrats happy. That doesn't get the job done.

Toyota has a real disaster, too; they're working on it. Is Gibson? I dunno. I don't see it.

... I think, and this is just a gut feeling, that Henry J may be a near genius at turning around a real problem company and he is, from all I've heard, a guitar guy along with it. Who wouldn't love the idea of a Rocker Biz guy rescuing an iconic guitar company? The built-in PR is astronomical.

Hmmmm... I play half decently fingerstyle, but I'm not at all good at "shredding."

Some business people are good at running startups, some at maintaining and expanding a corporation, some at turning an overly conservative firm into something more vital.

The question is the "right" management direction at the "right time."

Henry J is not a stupid man. He may or may not have a monster's ego; I don't know enough to say.

I do know enough to suggest that he must be considering options. He must wonder which problems are of his making, and how to survive and emerge healthy whether it matches his natural management style or not.

He must wonder also what to do to have a personal "attaboy" in history books rather than be written up as a "Norlin" with a real face and a real person's real name.

The FT story shows, however, that there wasn't one "real" Gibson spokesman to offer any spin. I must assume that is an intentional decision. "I don't know why she swallowed the fly..."

m

Personally I think it's a Good Thing if the CEO is blowing it so bad the Company must trade hands. Now, it's possible that a Foreign Interest may buy it up, but it's very likely that what happened to Fender int he 80's will Happen to Gibson now.

When CBS had wrung all it could out of Fenders good name, they sold it off. It was bought by an Group of Fender Employees that brought back fromt he brink. Today it's thriving and pumping out everyone's favorite "Bolt On" Guitars.

The Gibson Name and Iconic Designs aren't going anywhere, it just may be time for someone else to take over the Care and Feeding of the Company.

{edit} I wrote this before reading Milod's post.

Henry J is not a stupid man.

He must wonder also what to do to have a personal "attaboy" in history books rather than be written up as a "Norlin" with a real face and a real person's real name.

Well said.........

[biggrin]

Hmmmm... I play half decently fingerstyle' date=' but I'm not at all good at "shredding." [/quote']

I'm a shreddin' sonofagun!

Got a mountain of old statements, receipts and what not - Fellowes earned their money today!

[biggrin]

Small town doesn't mean dumb.

Yep' date=' even better though;

[i']"Slow talkin' don't mean slow thinkin'...."[/i]

All my family is from Texas, some in eastern Oklahoma.

I know those small towns very well, and not just as an observer.

[biggrin]

I'd like to see Heritage guitars buy Gibson out. That would cool.

That' date=' I think, would be the best of all possible outcomes.

[cool [cool]

...I hope (and this is probably a remote possibility) that Fender doesn't buy them out...

Not after what they've done to Guild...[angry] [angry] [angry]

I'd like to see Heritage guitars buy Gibson out. That would cool.

So I have to ask????

Have you seen some of the Norlin guitars that manage to come out of that plant????? Everyone seems to forget' date=' or is completely unaware of some of questionable instruments that left the Kalamazoo plant. [cool

Certainly there is a ton of Gibson history associated with that plant, but it had its list of horrors as well.

Duane...

You make an excellent point, too.

But (surprise! given my background <grin>) I look at it very much as a PR thing.

I really tend not to blame Gibson as a group of people for anything much bad, and to credit them as a group for musical instruments that are, to me, probably the best line of stringed instruments of their type and even price range including Epis.

On the other hand, it seems that right now they've got a PR problem that probably is helping to make other problems worse for everybody from the chief down to the janitor.

With all due respect, you've done on this forum with one or two little notes such as the one above than anybody in the corporate hierarchy. "Advertising?" Yeah. "PR?" I don't think so.

The "wood" thing, for example. It seems to me that a simple corporate statement in the forums noting that charges were not being pressed could not hurt at all when the audience is a bunch of folks who inherently care about Gibson as a company and set of products they essentially support as a concept, if not in specifics.

So... I dunno. I still think the Gibson designs are more than just "special," but are well beyond that.

Now I'm gonna pick a while. <grin>

m

Archived