Gibson Brands Forums

I would really like to think led zeppelin is the greatest band to ever exist

but in reality, it has to be chicago, in terms of talent, tightness, songwriting, they are un-equaled. the harmonies, the horns, the rythem section, perfectly produced.

terry kath and jimi hendrix where quite fond of each other, I think tht if terry had been in a more guitar driven band, he would be thought of as one of the greatest guitar players of all time

they are the greatest, better then the beatles, better then pink floyd, better then anybody,

last time I checked, they are the 2nd highest album selling band in US history

so there!

feeling stronger every day

I saw Chicago live and most of it sounded like easy listening/jazz garbage. The three songs you wrote above and "25 or 6 to 4" are good, but I am amazingly shocked that you compared Chicago to the Beatles. Led Zeppelin on the other hand...

chicago is not known for its guitar driven music, it is pop music.

chicago, like the beatles didnt do alot of 3 chord rock, but rather musically complex, dynamic, melodic stuff with lots of sounds/harmonies, ect

(but I do really like the early beatles hammering out 3 chord blues and rock and roll!)

[cool]

To see them in their prime back in the 70s was really something. The combination of horns and harmonies and Terry Kaths

hot guitar licks was pretty unique. Biggest plus for me was they had 3 great singers in Kath, Robert Lamm and Peter Cetera. Drummer Danny Seraphine was a terrific drummer and if you haven't heard him go back and check out their 70s albums.

Kath was the soul of that band and his death was one of rocks great tragedies.

I hate to say this and do NOT want to seem to come across opinionated at all, as this is just my take. There is no such thing as the greatest band ever. Just because that is what is rammed down yer throat or you went to a great gig does not make it so for others.

You like what you LIKE dudes. In similarity it's like saying Jesus was the MAN! Well yes that may be some people's opinion, but not all yanno?

Is Jennifer Anniston the greatest *** ever? Maybe? For me noooooo.

Officially U2 are the "greatest rock band ever" because their management and press say so, does that make it so?

green day are the greatest ever band...

Yes you are on dope.

Anyway Holy RAGE are the greatest band ever so feck off. :-$[wink]

When I first heard Chicago around '69, they had a unique horn sound that only Blood Sweat and Tears approached. Never cared a thing for BS&T, but I kinda liked Chicago's first and second albums. To me, they got old quickly.

When I first heard Chicago around '69' date=' they had a unique horn sound that only Blood Sweat and Tears approached. Never cared a thing for BS&T, but I kinda liked Chicago's first and second albums. To me, they got old quickly. [/quote']

Funny I felt the same way about Led Zep.

Now Zep' date=' I can listen to all their albums in their entirety[cool']

You're the first person I ever heard say that. Not saying your the only one to ever say it but I never got the whole Zep thing anyway. A few select songs from every album but could never make it all the way through any of them without laughing.

last time I checked, they are the 2nd highest album selling band in US history

Second to the Beatles.....They didnt win the Silver, they lost the Gold.

What the Beatles did in six short years will never be matched.

Zeppelin was together twelve years I believe?...Including the New Yardbirds.

As far as Chicago goes, they arent even on the radar. *grin*

If you listen to Chicago's first 2 or 3 albums the music was VERY guitar driven rock and roll, and Terry Kath's vision and leadership is quite evident. It wasn't until after his death that the horns took over the "sound".

If you listen to Chicago's first 2 or 3 albums the music was VERY guitar driven rock and roll' date=' and Terry Kath's vision and leadership is quite evident. It wasn't until after his death that the horns took over the "sound".[/quote']

Ummm....errr...Colour My World?

Not to ge too far off topic here, but look at early Fleetwood Mac.

Fantastic rock/blues band......Then, Peter Green went loco thanks to too many chemicals

and it was all downhill from there.

Funny thing is, Mac was far more successful w/ Buckingham, Nicks....but boy did

that band get wimpy.

Archived