Gibson Brands Forums

Biggest musical influences.

Dub-T-123

Who are yours?

Mine are bands like The Pixies, The Beatles, Modest Mouse, Pinback, Mogwai, Pink Floyd, and some other bands like Built to Spill, Surfer Blood, Radiohead, The Strokes, etc.

I tend to think my last bands fully improvised jams sounded a bit like Mogwai. This stuff was made before I ever heard Mogwai so it's kindof interesting.

I've been on a big Modest Mouse kick lately. My favorite albums are "Lonesome Crowded West" and "The Fruit that Ate Itself". I really love Modest Mouse. Such a great band IMO.

The Pixies have been a favorite of mine for a long time. What is there to say about them? My favorite album is honestly "Bossonova" but I love them all. I know many don't like Bossonova.

Pinback is an awesome band. I love all of their stuff but I'm not too crazy about "Autumn of the Seraphs". I love their side projects Three Mile Pilot and Systems Officer too. Particularly SO.

I was born and raised on the Beatles. I'm a total Beatles freak.

Sonic Youth. The concert of theirs that I went to changed my life.

It's impossible to list all of my influences. I won't even try. I have a teacher who listens to amazing music. I'm inspired in his class everyday.

My list of "influences" would probably read a little different from my list of "favorites". Ex. Van Halen is one of my favorite guitar players, but I can't say my playing is influenced a whole lot by him.

Some of the players/bands who've influenced the way I play music:

Jimmy Page, SRV, Allman Bros., Neil Young,

Beatles, Byrds, Buffalo Springfield (and spin off's), Stones, Animals, Yardbirds (Clapton, Beck & Page versions), and The Blues (in general)...and the 3 Kings (BB, Freddy, Albert), among many others. Later, Hendrix and Cream! LOTS of others, I like, and have had some influence, for sure.

CB

(Hi again, Duane! <grin>)

Laugh if you will, but I'd say the biggest musical influences on how I play would be a coupla ladies who tickled the ivories in a cupla piano bars in the old days - kinda a "caveman karaoke" if you will, and a cupla B3 saloon players.

I mostly do solo work. That means there's got to be enough "guitar" to carry; and frankly I find strumming an acoustic on a solo performer kinda boring. So... my guitar is my keyboard and a lotta the stuff I play is kinda old fashioned anyway.

Playing in a band is a whole different schtick. There again, I guess I'd have to say that keyboard concepts hit me more than anything else unless it's bluegrass sorts of stuff... Problem is an expectation of "hey, here's the record, and 'we' should sound like it is on there..." I can do it, just don't always care to.

On the other hand, yeah, I like to listen to all kinds of stuff. In ways you might suggest guitar influences would be Chet, any good classical picker, Travis, Gary Davis, Kottke and a lot of the 60s folkies I got to watch.

m

Some interesting responses. Thanks guys I'll check out some of the players/ bands that were mentioned.

Milod... I think a great place to find inspiration for guitar is from other instruments. It can make something on guitar sound totally innovative even though it's already been done on another instrument.

At the start it was Paul Kossoff and Peter Green.

That was 30+ years ago.

Much more recently it's been Django Reinhardt.

(Give me another 30+ years and I'll still be nowhere near....)

Seriously, check-out Jerry Reed and smile and admire.

Nazareth was a 1st love of rock & roll.

April Wine back in the day.

RUSH

B.T.O.

Stampeders

The WHO

Alice Cooper

AC/DC

ZZ TOP

Rol. Stones

Guns N Roses

After this got into bluegrass and bought a banjo I struggle with regularly.

Just recently (about 2-3 days ago)got my 1st electric guitar Gib SG Standard.

Back TO ROCK.

I have a lot of influences, form Blues to Rock and even Country (in the 90's I stole a lot of moves from Junior Brown, I pretty much just try to imitate him and Albert Lee when it comes time for country licks), but I always come back to these four....

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Leon Russell

Billy Gibbons

Jimmy Page

Without question, the two bands that had the biggest influence on my musical interest in general (from guitar playing, to what I listen to), were the original Allman Brothers Band (Duane and Dickie era), and The Count Basie Orchestra (Freddie Green on guitar).

Kind of two ends of the spectrum you might say.

Archived