Gibson Brands Forums

Could it be the end of the road for my beloved SJ200? Sad times :-(

Jinder

Jinder,

Non-guitar players can't really understand just how traumatic such damage to a cherished instrument can be for a real player. Like others who have responded, I hope this can be worked out in a positive way for you. There are often good options if you check around, but it's never easy to accept.

Best wishes and thanks for responding on my recent J-200 Jr. post,

Jack6849

My 14 year old Golden Retriever ran past my '64 Southern Jumbo' date=' which was in a cheap no-name stand. His tail swiped across it and it fell forward onto the floor, KA-BANG!

No damage whatsoever. The El-Kabong sound rang loud and true though.

I threw out all three stands I owned.

[/quote']

I think I've heard that story before..... again...makes me sick to my stomach......

Thank goodness there was no damage.

Jinder' date=' Peters right if anyone can fix it then Robbie can!

Practical offer to you, if you need her ferried up there I am often in Suffolk and live in Kent. You can hold my Es335 hostage until I return your baby to you!!!!

I am serious by the way between Peter and Me we will help with the transport

All best, you have too much invested in that guitar to look at anything but repair.

BR

john[/quote']

Good call John.

Jinder, if you can it to London one day, I'll do the rest. Save some postage and the transport risk. I see him most weeks and we've got alot going on at the moment.

here albert ' date=' i've met robbie a few time he plays in the same band with my cousin stuart, he's the one with the wine

[img']http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff326/shadowster1/sterstu.jpg[/img]

robbie was there that night at the glasgow fruit market

Hi Shadowster. I've known Robbie for over 10 years now and he is directly responsible for my second wind with guitars. He inspires me and I count the beans. It's good combo.

He has been Steve Harley's lead guitarist for over 10 years and I think Cockney Rebel have a busy summer ahead. In between, his band is top class and I'm hoping to make 1 or 2 cameo appearances myself, locally. Time to dust down the 335! Got a few acoustic duets with him on the cards this year too.

He has his own workshop in Suffolk and repairs/sets up guitars for any number of household names. He's been playing and repairing Gibsons for ever.

Plug over.

Is your cousin the drummer?

Amazing how attached to these hunks of wood & steel we are.......... !

Very intimate thing, craddling those hunks of wood and coaxing sounds from them. Dog stories: I had my AJ all of a week, was sitting picking and my bloodhound came over, starts to nose it. Im think, yuk, drool, and start to lift the AJ up and away--precautionary , you know, and he takes a big paw and goes WHAM, takes a swipe right across the lower bout. No break, just dimples, but ow.

Sympathies, Jinder, re the "underestimated" J200 and hope you can get it right. J

Hi Shadowster. I've known Robbie for over 10 years now and he is directly responsible for my second wind with guitars. He inspires me and I count the beans. It's good combo.

He has been Steve Harley's lead guitarist for over 10 years and I think Cockney Rebel have a busy summer ahead. In between' date=' his band is top class and I'm hoping to make 1 or 2 cameo appearances myself, locally. Time to dust down the 335! Got a few acoustic duets with him on the cards this year too.

He has his own workshop in Suffolk and repairs/sets up guitars for any number of household names. He's been playing and repairing Gibsons for ever.

Plug over.

Is your cousin the drummer?

[/quote']

aye stuarts my cousin , he's been with steve since the begining and his brother lindsay played with them in the

early days i get to see them when they come north of the border, an sure robbie would remember me ave always got a kit on as you can see

stersteve.jpg

OMG Jinder, you must have been sick at heart over that. I know how devastated I was when Magic got a significant scratch on her, and that's just a scratch! It still bothers me. I agree with everyone here.... it CAN be fixed. Don't take 'no' for an answer. Let us know the update please? <hug>

Okay, I have an update!!

The ailing '200 went to my luthier this afternoon-he looked it over and said he can repair it and refinish it invisibly, all being well.

Of course, I'm really thankful that it's not curtains for my wonderful guitar, but after this I am going to make sure she's safe and sound, and keep her for home use, writing and studio work only.

She's been my faithful companion on the road for the last six years, and we've had some wonderful adventures together, but I can't risk her coming to any harm again.

Thankyou all so much for the lovely messages of help, sympathy and support. I love this place.

Okay' date=' I have an update!!

The ailing '200 went to my luthier this afternoon-he looked it over and said he can repair it and refinish it invisibly, all being well.

Of course, I'm really thankful that it's not curtains for my wonderful guitar, but after this I am going to make sure she's safe and sound, and keep her for home use, writing and studio work only.

She's been my faithful companion on the road for the last six years, and we've had some wonderful adventures together, but I can't risk her coming to any harm again.

Thankyou all so much for the lovely messages of help, sympathy and support. I love this place. [/quote']

Thank you for the update.... everyone here is relieved about this.

makes me nauseous as well.

for extra precaution should one put a towel in the open space where the headstock is to prevent movement?

Last year I had to ship a dried out vintage Martin across Canada. I wrapped the neck with multiple layers of newspaper, like a splint. The buyer at the other end said it arrived safe and sound. Scary what can happen to a guitar's neck; it seems like such a vulnerable piece.

Okay' date=' I have an update!!

Thankyou all so much for the lovely messages of help, sympathy and support. I love this place. [/quote']

Awwww, that's great news. I'm sure you'll sleep a whole lot better tonight. Big sigh of relief.

Great News Jinder

No that all is going to be ok do you reckon it' sok for me to ask if we can see some "before, after and during" pics.

Might be a good ad for your luthier as well

Glad it's all working out mate!

Thanks all! Indeed it's great news.

I will post a full report as soon as I get her back.

Unfortunately I couldn't bring myself to take any 'before' pictures prior to schlepping off to my Luthier, but I will make sure I take some 'after' pics and post them when the SJ200 comes home!

Incidentally, the details of the accident that caused it are painful to recount...I wasn't there when it happened, but my fiancée and I took delivery of a new bed last week, and before it was delivered my SJ200 was in it's stock TKL Gibson case, sitting on the landing of my house...by the time the bed delivery crew had left, case, guitar and all were at the bottom of the stairs.

I can only assume this is when the break happened, but as nobody saw it happen I have no legal case against the delivery people. As i said, I wasn't there and my fiancée thought nothing of it as the guitar was cased...it wasn't until I arrived at my live show last Thursday and opened the case that I realised it had gone south :-(

Fortyyears, I like that thought!!

The SJ is most definitely a member of the family...and one that may one day be more repair than guitar, but will always be dear to me. Hell, Willie wouldn't be without Trigger, eh?

Since I found out the story of the break, I lay in bed at night with a pinch of resentment for my oh-so-comfortable new bed. The blasted guitar-wrecking thing is so slumber-inducing that at midday today I went into the bedroom to feed my baby daughter and put her down for her afternoon nap, and the next thing I knew I was waking up at 3pm having inadvertantly put myself down for an afternoon nap too!

The thing just draws you in and sends you directly to the land of Nod. At which point you start dreaming of snapped necks, dangling headstock and wheat scrolls...

Archived