Gibson Brands Forums

Picks

Gibson CS

There might already be a topic about this but I was just wondering...

what kind of picks do you guys use?

I used Fender Mediums, then I bought a box of Dunlop MEdiums for 60 dollars and hate them.

Oh well...

I guess you could say I have a pick fetish. You name it and I probably have some. Nothing inspires me to practice more than getting a new pick. They all produce different sounds, and textures. I like experimenting with as many different thicknesses, materials, and shapes as possible.

I totally have a plectrum fetish! As of late I've been using good ol' Herco picks. I really like when they get broke in, they definitely have a much nastier attack. They also tend to soften a little as you hold them, wich is weird but cool. If I want a thuddier more authoritative attack I've been using those extra heavy triangular picks. Like Dickie Betts uses I think. Picks are cool.

I used Dunlop Tortex for years.

They last forever, will NOT break, and the texture isn't so slick.

A couple years ago I discovered Claytons and never looked back.

I use the white acetal polymer, standard shape, 1 mm thick.

I haven't had to buy any pics in two years.

http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.html

Bought 'em at Sam Ash no less.....

Well, at least their pic selection is better than their guitar selection.

PK412-88_sm_.jpg

I use Dunlop Tortex .88 SHARPs (the famous green ones).

I've found Tortex to be extremely durable, but eventually I do wear the tips down on everything. The .88 thickness makes it flexible enough for chords but stiff enough for fast leads when you choke up on it. My only complaint was that they were not sharp enough for me on the tips, but recently in the last year I discovered some shops carry the Sharps (I don't know if they're new or what).

I've been using these for about 5 years and will be hard pressed to find anything more tailor-made for me. Occasionally I'll move to a 1.0+ thickness but I always come back to 'ol green.

I want to get Dunlop to print my signature and band logo on some. I'd be set for life on picks. It's $$$, but tell me it's not totally worth it. :-)

For electrics, Fender Classic Celluloid Extra Heavy most of the time. When I need to pick something a little faster, I drop it down to a Heavy.

For acoustics, Fender Classic Celluloid Thin. I like the pick to "bounce" off the acoustic strings when I strum.

Does Dunlop do that?

Clayton can fix you up there too.

http://www.steveclayton.com/custom.html

I'm not even in a band and I'm tempted.....

:-)

Yeah' date=' they do. Obviously they used to do only big timers but now they'll do it for anybody, if you have the cash.

Minimum order is 800, so like I said, I'd be [i']set[/i] for life for picks!

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=52&pmh=products/picks

I used Hot Licks copper picks for years(5's and 6's). Now, I 'm much more like Aaresz... name it and you are likely to find one here... I have been using a Dunlop medium (.60) with my Gibson Les Paul Standard guitar lately, tho. I find I can control the harmonics better.

/shrug MUST be the LP, cuz the Strat was never like that :-k

I use Fender California Clears Heavy. A pack will last me about a month or two, then I buy new ones. They're cheap, too, so if you break one or lose one, it doesn't matter. I destroy a pack of light picks after playing for half an hour (maximum), and I break a whole pack of mediums after about a week. So, yes, I have to use heavies.

Oh yeah always a fun topic and worse than guitars for collecting. Guitar pics cause about half the arguments I have with my wife because I have millions and leave them everywhere according to her. I also keep them in the watch packet of Levi's so they do end up in the wash. My favorite picks are the gibson tri-picks but they quit making them years ago I have three or four left so now I hunt them on ebay there's so many kinds from cheap to exotic. if you've never seen them check out

www.brossardpicks.com

the bone and exotic wood are cool and play very well if you like a thick solid pic (hard to type that without embarrassing myself) he used to make one out of rawhide that was very cool and had a great feel I'm not sure he does them anymore.

the bone and mammoth are both cool looking and play very well.

Really it comes down to preference. Try different sizes till you find one that is flexible for chords, but strong enough for leads. If its flimsy you will play sloppy and not be happy. Find the ones you like. Yes it will turn into a slight fetish but thats what happens when you start searching for tone and playability.

I've used these for like, 25 yrs. I buy 'em by the gross, since no one carries them, but I use the .60 orange

I even have some from 25 yrs ago! I use all 3 edges, depending on what I'm playing.

One thing- you never have to worry about people borrowing/stealing my picks

1153434080_TORTEX_FINS_414_250X185.jpg

If you've never seen them check out

www.brossardpicks.com

the bone and mammoth are both cool looking and play very well.

+1 I've got a few of them also.

I,too, like Gibson tri-picks. We've probably bid agaisnt each other on eBay.

I've used these for like' date=' 25 yrs. I buy 'em by the gross, since no one carries them, but I use the .60 orange

I even have some from 25 yrs ago! I use all 3 edges, depending on what I'm playing.

One thing- you never have to worry about people borrowing/stealing my picks

[img']http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/marvar/1153434080_TORTEX_FINS_414_250X185.jpg[/img]

What is the benefit / sound differences you'd get from the bumpy edge? Seems kinda gimmicky...

Dunlop Tortex mediums, but have been playing around with the Gibson picks that came as "case candy" recently. I don't particularly care for them though, because after about 1/2 hour of play, I have to turn them over because they have taken the shape of my grip. Must be the death grip style I use.

Archived