Gibson Brands Forums

Do they even LISTEN to the song.....?

NeoConMan

Big Don Felder fan here.

His undignified exit from the Eagles was bordering on criminal.

I'm amazed that there are no "Hotel California" videos on YouTube with him.

Henley/Frey are a couple of.... well, I guess it always was Glenn Frey's band...

Anyhow, I clicked on a couple and I found this one.

I guess it's a crowd-pleaser from the sound of the audience - even if they screwed it up from the start.....

Why are both guitars playing in tandem for the whole damned thing?

Have they ever actually LISTENED to the song?

The back and forth interplay between two distinct tones is what made that solo great.

These guys are just "me too-ing" it to get the crowd to cheer without playing it right.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

That solo is a series of guitar licks traded between Don Felder and Joe Walsh.

With a little practice you can identify which guitar is doing each lick while the other guy quietly does chords.

All the while, Glenn Frey is playing rhythm guitar as well - though it's way down in the mix.

Each guitar has its' own distinctive voice with Felder using a Gibson and Walsh on a single-coil Fender.

It's like listening to a conversation between two people.

Only near the end do the two guitars join up to play the same lines in harmony.

This is long after Felder has forsaken the 12 neck on his EDS-1275 and ripped into the solo first.

You can hear all that in the ORIGINAL version here - the standard by which all others are judged.

If you can't at least do this - reasonably well - then don't play the damned thing!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqx35QVvSLs[/YOUTUBE]

On this studio version - the Holy Grail - Felder swaps to the six neck for the solo at 4:20.

Walsh is playing rhythm until his thin, cutting, snarling single coil part begins at 4:48.

Felder joins up, then takes the solo at 5:12.

Walsh again at 5:20, and at 5:26 they join up to finish the song doing the same lines in harmony.

The rest is history.

Damned shame it's not available for viewing on YouTube....

Funny, I was playing one of my Eagles DVDs only last weekend.

Personally, I think they are all brilliant individuals - the biggeest number of anal retentive perfectionists you could come across in one band and it still works! They must be real pains in the *** to get along with [blink] but who cares.

There are other bands full of briliiant individuals, yet together they just sound like a technically correct studio band - with little feeling or soul.

Together, the synergy of the eagles is one of a kind.

And the music is just SO CLEAN.

I have to say I am not across the Felder legal mess, . My DVD was recorded at the start of the reunion stuff so Felder is prominent- long before the Farewell Concert DVD (From Melbourne)

Can anyone enlighten me on what the problem is? IE who is suing who?

Google the Eagles and lawsuit' date=' loads of stuff. Basically no one got along, band broke up, band got back together, Felder found out that other members of the band were getting upwards to 3 parts more money than he was so he quit/got fired again. Filed 2 lawsuits against Eagles and a few individual members, they fired back a breach of contract lawsuit; finally settled out of court for a untold sum of cash; they went their own ways again and this opened the possibility for the Farewell Tour and DVD that I have. I think this sums it up.[/quote']

Other members of the band meaning Frey and Henley. Felder, Walsh and Schmit were offered their eagle positions again but paid as hired sidemen. The equal partnership that the band had always been was over as Frey and Henley formed a new company for the reunion giving them a much larger share of everything including merchandise, concert and CD revenues. The other 3 were told take it or leave it. Joe and Tim realized a small gravy train is better than no gravy train and excepted the Job as good little eagles. Felder felt betrayed and wouldn't let it go.

Sidenote: Hotel Cali. was always Felders baby. He came up with the music and feel of the song. Worked out the solo at the end and even taught Miesner the bass part. Inspiring Henley to write the lyrics to a great song. But if you look at the old albums that have that tune on it Felders name is first position. Usually given to the person that wrote the majority of the song. Anything released since his departure with that song on it now has his name last.

written by Henley, Frey, Felder

Egos are funny things.

Other members of the band meaning Frey and Henley. Felder' date=' Walsh and Schmit were offered their eagle positions again but paid as hired sidemen. The equal partnership that the band had always been was over as Frey and Henley formed a new company for the reunion giving them a much larger share of everything including merchandise, concert and CD revenues. The other 3 were told take it or leave it. Joe and Tim realized a small gravy train is better than no gravy train and excepted the Job as good little eagles. Felder felt betrayed and wouldn't let it go.

Sidenote: Hotel Cali. was always Felders baby. He came up with the music and feel of the song. Worked out the solo at the end and even taught Miesner the bass part. Inspiring Henley to write the lyrics to a great song. But if you look at the old albums that have that tune on it Felders name is first position. Usually given to the person that wrote the majority of the song. Anything released since his departure with that song on it now has his name last.

written by Henley, Frey, Felder

Egos are funny things.

[/quote']

Sounds like a repeat of Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley - Peter Criss and Ace Frehley became employees.

Not that I judge Simmons and Stanley - we dont know what happened behind the scenes....really, although we'd like to think we do.

Neo . . . did you notice that Felder's EDS-1275 has two jacksockets? I think it was a custom job. Most likely the output from the 12 neck went to a Leslie, and the output from the 6 neck to a 'normal' amplifier.

I saw Eagles a couple of times with Felder (in San Antonio and in Houston) and was really sorry to see him go from the band.

I think his solo on One Of These Nights was one of the best solos from the 1970's.

I saw Timothy B Schmit a few weeks ago. It was his first ever UK solo gig and it was fantastic, in a small venue. He played a lot of material from his latest album Expando plus a couple of Eagles Tunes (I Can't Tell You Why, Love Will Keep Us Alive). He was brilliant. If you don't have that album it's well worth a listen.

I saw Eagles a couple of times with Felder (in San Antonio and in Houston) and was really sorry to see him go from the band.

I think his solo on One Of These Nights was one of the best solos from the 1970's.

That solo is one of my favorites. I've always said' date=' if you want to teach a lesson on how to construct the perfect solo, that is a great example. Every not is perfect. It has such a defined beggining, middle, climax and ends on a perfect note, then right back to the chorus.

I always wondered who played that one. Now I know it was Don F. [biggrin

The other under rated song of theirs IMO is "New Kid In Town". Very interesting chord progression that modulates through several key changes. All the little guitar fills and harmonies are brillint too.

The Eagles are one band that I have never "gotten" and never will...they are talented - there is no doubt there.....i happen to find their music to be rather boring and Hotel California (this is gonna make me unpopular) is one of my least favorite songs.....if it comes on the radio, I change stations.

Diff'rent Strokes right!?

The Eagles are one band that I have never "gotten" and never will...they are talented - there is no doubt there.....i happen to find their music to be rather boring and Hotel California (this is gonna make me unpopular) is one of my least favorite songs.....if it comes on the radio' date=' I change stations.

Diff'rent Strokes right!?[/quote']

Don't feel too bad. I don't get Pink Floyd. I mean I get why people love them but I don't.

The Eagles are one band that I have never "gotten" and never will...they are talented - there is no doubt there.....i happen to find their music to be rather boring and Hotel California (this is gonna make me unpopular) is one of my least favorite songs.....if it comes on the radio' date=' I change stations.

Diff'rent Strokes right!?[/quote']

Eagles are one of my all time favourites, but it's ok. For example I just don't get Clapton. Technically he is brilliant etc, but his music doesn't do anything for me. So yes, we are all different. Now it will be my turn to be unpopular.

Wow someone took the Fareware Tour I from Down Under and renamed as their own on Youtube. I know you didn't do it first but thats the exact same vid I posted just a different title.... lol

Your right, I thought I was a different performance. Sorry for the double post, but he does cover the parts pretty well.

:-k

Big Don Felder fan here.

Henley/Frey are a couple of.... well' date=' I guess it always was Glenn Frey's band...

Anyhow, I clicked on a couple and I found this one.

I guess it's a crowd-pleaser from the sound of the audience - even if they screwed it up from the start.....

Why are both guitars playing in tandem for the whole damned thing?

Have they ever actually LISTENED to the song?

The back and forth interplay between two distinct tones is what made that solo great.

These guys are just "me too-ing" it to get the crowd to cheer without playing it right.

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

That solo is a series of guitar licks traded between Don Felder and Joe Walsh.

With a little practice you can identify which guitar is doing each lick while the other guy quietly does chords.

All the while, Glenn Frey is playing rhythm guitar as well - though it's way down in the mix.

Each guitar has its' own distinctive voice with Felder using a Gibson and Walsh on a single-coil Fender.

It's like listening to a conversation between two people.

Only near the end do the two guitars join up to play the same lines in harmony.

This is long after Felder has forsaken the 12 neck on his EDS-1275 and ripped into the solo first.

You can hear all that in the ORIGINAL version here - the standard by which all others are judged.

If you can't at least do this - reasonably well - then don't play the damned thing!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqx35QVvSLs[/YOUTUBE]

On this studio version - the Holy Grail - Felder swaps to the six neck for the solo at 4:20.

Walsh is playing rhythm until his thin, cutting, snarling single coil part begins at 4:48.

Walsh again at 5:20, and at 5:26 they join up to finish the song doing the same lines in harmony.

The rest is history.

Damned shame it's not available for viewing on YouTube....

I know what you mean. Heck, they were Walsh's studio voice back ups way back in the beginning. He told them to go out and make some money on their own; probably gave'em a 59 Paul also! :D

I was a big fan of his during the Eagle years but all his pissing and moaning about not being treated fair and then writing a tell all book was too much. Love his skill but he's a wanker

The Eagle's tell all book had already been written called To The Limit by Marc Eliot. He was threated with lawsuits by Henley.

Felder's book really doesn't cover anything new he just tells his side of the situation.

If anyone of us had been fired from one of the most successful bands of all time I think we would be just a little pi55ed.

Frankly I think Frey and Henley are the wankers. Did you hear that last CD? Garbage!

And only sold at that evilest of empires.... Walmart

Dead on CM.

Felder's book was pretty even-handed from what I gathered from it.

I don't see where anything was embellished, it was actually pretty light on criticism.

Doesn't take much to figure Henley is the stereotypical tortured, misunderstood arteest.

And Frey is a paranoid, brawling control freak with enough money to hire a lawyer for anything.

And yeah, that last cd - I got it Wal Mart cuz it was only $11 so I wasn't handing Frey/Henley much $$$$.

It SUCKS!

Tailor-made for the country charts, pleasant and hummable for radio.....

Big Don Felder fan here.

Henley/Frey are a couple of.... well' date=' I guess it always was Glenn Frey's band...

The rest is history.

Damned shame it's not available for viewing on YouTube....[/quote']

Neo,

Just for you...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJdagEmX2wk&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Archived