Gibson Brands Forums

Biggest crowd...

zombiebear

That you have ever played for, well if any :P

How did it go?

The last show i ever played with my band was in front of 2,500+

Everything went great, un-till my guitarist decided that he was done playing. I was furious and i asked in the mic "What kind of musician are you?" He stormed off, all pissed off. So me and my drummer continued playing just random fun stuff, un-till our set was up.

I'm telling you, those damn guitarist :-

If you're wondering what happened after the show, read back up to the top again, where the only word is bolded.

Played for 20+ thousand whilst just a boy in the Army - In celebration of the 200th anniversary of the US Constitution.

"American Odyssey '76" - We toured Europe playing everything from Fife and Drums to a cover of Deodato's 2001... Buses painted with Stars and Stripes, a lowboy for the band and a highboy for a stage. Them were the days, by cracky.

The finale at Nuremberg was special indeed. I played bass (EB-3 through an old, crappy blackface Bassman), Contrabass and Bass Trombone, and also gave the Gettysburg Address with a carbon-paper "beard" and a stovepipe hat.

Lighters and shirts up, please.

(Not for nothing: Rank, unit, medals - exactly as shown on the GI Blues album... ick.)

I would say the largest around 2K but many shows on that level for a period of around 6 month on tour with Tops. I would freeze up anything larger; geeez.

As for the gtr player just walking off; true musician there (being very sarcastic towards him).

Yeah it's funny' date=' the less people, the more nervous i got, the more, the better off i was :']

@riverside, some story you got there man, that's awesome.

And yeah if it wasn't for him, we could actually be doing amazing. We had a record deal lined up with Photofinish records. But that never happened now, haha.

That you have ever played for' date=' well if any [lol

How did it go?

Back in 1965 or 1966 did a concert with Paul Revere & The Raiders. I was told the crowd was about 30K.

Last gig I did was a Bay Area Bands Reunion concert in 2007, (with Tower Of Power), crowd was 2.5K.

Played in the kitchen last weekend... crowd of 1...but the most important one!

Couldn't replace him?

We were gonna try. This was the summer after we graduated, so it was kinda like, well that didn't work so well, and it's time to go to college and stuff, so we just do stuff for fun now.

We tried to live the dream, and got close, but in the end it didn't work out very well.

Yeah stupid stuff like life gets in the way.................. lol

Yeah it sucks, but like you said it's life.

I will never stop playing music though.

I do feel bad for for my drummer, and best friend, he started abusing drugs after we spilt.

:[

Biggest show we played was a Battle of the Bands a while back....we played for around 3500 kids i think....at a place called The Opera House in Toronto....wasn't nervous AT ALL....weird how that happens...i got very nervous (pukey) in many other shows with fewer fans...

That show was so much fun!!!

17.000 at the Durán International Fair (Feria internacional de durán) in my city, at least that was the place's capacity and it looked really crowded. I'll see if I can find some pics, I do remember all of the pics were of the band and none of the public :D

I was told my largest show was 20,000 but I think it was more like 16 or 17 thousand. I was filling in for Rookie of the Year for a while and they played Bamboozle West. I've also done a good number or 8-10 thousand gigs for different bands.

Largest would probably be about 750. When there are that many people' date=' I don't get that nervous, less than 20, I'm tweaking[/quote']

Ha...

I get twitchy for more than 10

For the 850 crowd..it was in school, we have an assembly in the morning for announcements and such, and I went to check to see if we were announcing the restarting of the guitar club. Next thing I know, an electric guitar was stuck in my hands, and was told to play something....I messed up part of the Sweet Child O Mine intro [cool] but got everybody cheering for the back in black and highway to hell....

I was shaky after and during, that really messed me up..

I was supposed to play, I knew from before, but I had cut my middle finger, on the part that touches the strings, fretting hand...it hurt quite a bit.

Ha...

I get twitchy for more than 10

For the 850 crowd..it was in school' date=' we have an assembly in the morning for announcements and such, and I went to check to see if we were announcing the restarting of the guitar club. Next thing I know, an electric guitar was stuck in my hands, and was told to play something....I messed up part of the Sweet Child O Mine intro [cool but got everybody cheering for the back in black and highway to hell....

I was shaky after and during, that really messed me up..

I was supposed to play, I knew from before, but I had cut my middle finger, on the part that touches the strings, fretting hand...it hurt quite a bit.

But thats what happens when you leave your lester at home, for its first proper gig....all the good mojo you got stored goes wrong....you get a guitar with extremely high action, that you never played before...etc...

If I had my LP, I think it would have gone better because I would have been more comfortable

About 600.....that was the day I discovered social anxiety disorder.

Interesting...from playing for 5 to ...

I get twitchish...and sometimes it messes up...although after playing a couple of songs and talking with the audience, it gets a little better, I don't feel as nervous.

Interesting...from playing for 5 to ...

I get twitchish...and sometimes it messes up...although after playing a couple of songs and talking with the audience' date=' it gets a little better, I don't feel as nervous.[/quote']

See, the smaller the group, the more nervous I get. When I see a bunch of people, it doesn't freak me out as much, not really sure why.

I have never shaken or twitchy though, which I really don't get. I stutter sometimes, but not twitchy. The most nerve racking time in my life is when I played for my parents, just my parents, in my basement. Just two people who love me, what could go wrong? But I was seriously tweaking on that one, playing in front of other people, eh they are just random people. I don't mind that

I think our biggest crowd was when we opened for NOFX and Lagwagon here in Oslo, I'd say around 1500-2000. Simmilar to when we made it to the BotB world finals at the London Astoria in 2004.

While auch are great experiences indeed, I also tend to love the smaller venues where you get closer to the audience and when it is packed it feels like a pressure cooker! I remember for intsance this one show, can't have been more than max a few hundred, where it was so packed and the crowd so jumpy and moshy that the floor nearly caved and people had to hold the sound system in place so it wouldn't topple and kill people :- Granted if you can pull off that kind of atmosphere in a bigger venue... ;)

Archived