Gibson Brands Forums

Banjo guy is pissing me off

Gilliangirl

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too Bad you are not closer, I need someone to jam with and I have horses that always need exercised.

Hope you find someone that will be as committed to the music as you seem to be. To some of us it is a challenge to continue to improve and better our music and playing abilities, to others it is something they do when they have a few minutes. You can usually tell the commitment by their gear list.

Hey Karen! To me, it sounds like your idea of playin' music and "Banjo boy's" idea are two totally different things. I totally agree with you. When it comes to music, you have to be dedicated to it. IMHO, it's all or nothing. He has to decide for himself what he wants to do. Play seriously, or just goof out. I have played with musicians who weren't "reliable" and in the end I parted ways with them. Funny though, after you practice real hard and put your time into it and pull off a great show, they're always the first ones who want to get together and jam some! Go figure! And on the subject of banjos, give 'em a break, huh?!!! I play bluegrass and ain't nuthin' finer than an ol' Gibson Mastertone smokin'!!!! They have their place, but only in certain genre's of music. Anyway, I say find someone just as dedicated to music as you are, you'll be more happy. 'Cause it's all about the music anyway, right?

And on the subject of banjos' date=' give 'em a break, huh?!!![/quote']

Yeah, 'cause there's noooooo snobbery on the Gibson forums. Gibson folks are persecuted on other forums but we would never do that here....

Right?

Girlfriend? Yeah, kick him to the curb.

Horse doovers? Wine? (and maybe a bottle he bought that GF found out he was not sharin' with her) Music?

You say, "on the up and up." And I don't doubt that it is. But, he has a girlfriend. I'd bet a box of shiny new picks and a case of fingernail polish the GF is having 'issues' with him spendin' time pickin' and a grinnin' with a pretty young fillie with a herd of good lookin' guit tars, locked up in said young fillie's apartment.

I'm sure you are all for just the music, but I doubt the GF feels that way.

Just Sayin'

Good luck findin' a new pickin' partner. I hope it works out.

And... it won't be the first time a girlfriend busted up a good music group.

No no no no no' date=' just a picking partner Tommy. I advertised as such on Craigslist and he answered the ad. I said I wanted a guitar player to jam with. He answered, saying he was a banjo player. I agreed to meet and we actually hit it off well. He's a good player and we like the same music. We also sing really well together. I was quite impressed. He has a girlfriend. This is not about that at all. And his girlfriend is fine with everything. This is strictly on the up-and-up. Actually, he stated that he was impressed at the musical dynamics we were able to create in just 2 hours and was the one to suggest we continue on. But it's just a musical arrangement, and that's all I'm looking for. Him too.[/quote']

GG....obviously, you know NOTHING about men......lol........First of all, you need to understand that men think with TWO heads. I'm applauding the music chemistry, but be VERY clear, and you may have to repeat yourself EVERY TIME YOU MEET, about what your goals are and what the boundries are.....lol.....even then, who knows, men are so easily moved......have fun playing, but any more missed practices, I would cut losses.....good luck.

Somewhere around 1980-1981 a friend came over to jam a little. He and I played together in the 60's. We played all evening, and I recall he could sing like an angel!

Anyway, when he was getting ready to leave, he gave me a banjo. He said he wanted me to keep it for awhile, and he'd get it back the next time he was over.

After a few years, he died of a heart attack, (VERY young). Well, I've had the banjo ever since. Never played it, took it out of it's case only 3-4 times.

It turns out that his grandson is friends with my nephew. I invited him over, told him I'd tell him all about his grandfather he never met, and I'd give him his grandfather's banjo, (he's a guitar player).

So, I'm not technically a "banjo guy", but I hope to turn his grandson into one!

Somewhere around 1980-1981 a friend came over to jam a little. He and I played together in the 60's. We played all evening' date=' and I recall he could sing like an angel!

Anyway, when he was getting ready to leave, he gave me a banjo. He said he wanted me to keep it for awhile, and he'd get it back the next time he was over.

After a few years, he died of a heart attack, (VERY young). Well, I've had the banjo ever since. Never played it, took it out of it's case only 3-4 times.

It turns out that his grandson is friends with my nephew. I invited him over, told him I'd tell him all about his grandfather he never met, and I'd give him his grandfather's banjo, (he's a guitar player).

So, I'm not technically a "banjo guy", but I hope to turn his grandson into one![/quote']

Great story.....thanks Rob

Somewhere around 1980-1981 a friend came over to jam a little. ... ...he gave me a banjo. ...

I like that story DanvillRob.

I had an uncle that took up banjo when he was in his 30s. He bought an old 4 string Orpheum (about 1930) and loved it. He passed away in his 50s (1990). A couple years later' date=' with no grandkids yet, my aunt (his wife), gave me the banjo.

My first banjo (only one so far). I wanted to play it but was too impatient, so I cheated and tuned it like 1, 2, 3, 4, strings on a guitar (D, G, B, E). I enjoyed it and sometimes I'd drag it to jam and play passably with my guitar tuning.

Last year, I gave it to my aunt's oldest grandson (16yr old then) who had been playing guitar for about a year. It had been so long, no one had mention to him that his grandfather ever played an instrument. He was so surprised. I was glad I did it.

Anyway, I kind of miss having a banjo to plunk on now and then. Yep, I'm thinkin' about it. [biggrin

Not too many girlfriends are gonna be OK with a guy drinking wine and playing music alone with another woman in her house --- hopefully he's lying to her' date=' and saying you're a fat old guy named Ralph, and next week y'all can get together...

[/quote']

Have you SEEN GG? NO ONE would EVER mistake her for anything but a beautiful young girl. (and besides...how do you know about Ralph, anyway?)

I like that story DanvillRob.

I had an uncle that took up banjo when he was in his 30s. He bought an old 4 string Orpheum (about 1930) and loved it. He passed away in his 50s (1990). A couple years later' date=' with no grandkids yet, my aunt (his wife), gave me the banjo.

My first banjo (only one so far). I wanted to play it but was too impatient, so I cheated and tuned it like 1, 2, 3, 4, strings on a guitar (D, G, B, E). I enjoyed it and sometimes I'd drag it to jam and play passably with my guitar tuning.

Last year, I gave it to my aunt's oldest grandson (16yr old then) who had been playing guitar for about a year. It had been so long, no one had mention to him that his grandfather ever played an instrument. He was so surprised. I was glad I did it.

Anyway, I kind of miss having a banjo to plunk on now and then. Yep, I'm thinkin' about it. [cool

Great story.... I'm glad his grandson ended up with his banjo. It's important to pass them to family. I'm not sure I would have thought about doing what you did. My decision was easy, Roger never "gave" me the banjo, he only said the keep it for awhile.

Have you SEEN GG? NO ONE would EVER mistake her for anything but a beautiful young girl.

She's even better looking in person. And she's all Canadian & stuff. Talks just like Shania Twain. And the only 'high horse' she'd ever been on has four legs and poops in the streets during parades.

This is me before I started playing the banjo.

- Broke

-Depressed

-Obsessed with immenent Alien Invadors

-Ranting constantly about Big Government and high Taxation

homeless-bums-tramps41.gif

This is I, after a mere three and one half months of dedicated practice with my new banjo--

wealthy-men.jpg

-Financially Secure

-A frequent listener and financial supporter of NPR

-Witty

-Able to utilize the superlative subjunctive

-Preferred companion of too many supermodels for me to go into here because it would blow your tiny mind. Well, OK- here's one just to give you an idea...

supermodel.jpg

Really--- this 'anti-banjo' diatribe has all the taste of sour grapes, doesn't it?

Have you SEEN GG? NO ONE would EVER mistake her for anything but a beautiful young girl. (and besides...how do you know about Ralph' date=' anyway?)[/quote']

I know GG is the forum goddess deserving of all praise ---

What I meant was hopefully Banjo Guy's girlfriend only knew he was playing music with someone, but had no information other than that...

Then Banjo Guy could tell his girlfriend he's jamming with some fat old guy, and they don't play together that well yet, and Girlfriend can come to practice in a couple months when they are playing better together...

Karen, get rid of Banjer Dan or whatever his name is. But first invite him round to see your new "banjo mute" (which is actually a sledgehammer) then demonstrate it's 100% effectiveness on his godammed banjo. Then find yourself a MANDOLIN player instead. Mandolin players are much more reliable, well I am anyway. It's just a bit too far for me to travel every week to have a jam.

Um, OK, guys just DO NOT go over to play music, sing and drink wine with attractive women on Friday night without fervent hopes of more than stringed music happening, unless they are highly unusual, extremely rare guys with lower extremity damage from the war. Girlfriend or not. This all sounded very odd from the start where "he has a girlfriend who sings and she might come too", but, of course (no surprise to me), she didn't come. So it sounds like a situation that would only have become even more awkward if music is all you ever wanted, GG, so its good you ended it. But keep this idea in mind, and finding a neutral place to play would be an advantage if this sort of thing develops again. And it probably will.

I don't know if this is an appropriate time to mention this but I happen to play banjo, guitar, and sing, though all quite poorly. But at least I am single. [biggrin]

Then find yourself a MANDOLIN player instead. Mandolin players are much more reliable' date=' well I am anyway. It's just a bit too far for me to travel every week to have a jam.[/quote']

[biggrin]

Archived