Gibson Brands Forums

How long does it take you to change your strings?

daveinspain

Just curious... Yesterday I did two guitars, I think it took about a half hour for each one. That's changing one string at a time, cleaning the bridge, neck and pickups under each string and adding big bends nut sauce to the nut and bridge for each string as well....

on my strat, it only takes 10-15 minutes with the locking tuners, they are SO easy, you shoot straight into the tuner, no winding, on my other guitars its more like you said, half an hour especially if I do cleaning along with it,,

another question,, do you all do one string at a time or take em all off ?

alot of times I will remove all of them in order to thoroughly clean the instrument and fingerboard, when I used floyd rose guitars it was one at a time but I dont use Floyd's anymore

E string- 3 minutes

beer

A string-4 minutes

beer

D string- 5 minutes

beer

G string- 6 minutes

beer

B string-7minutes

beer

E string-8 minutes

rest of beers

Pass out then get up....All in all...about 7-8 hours to change my strings hehe

On a good day 10 minutes. Normal day 15ish

Honestly I don't know how I got so good at it, what I got on mine looks almost prefessionally done... I havent been doin it as long as most of you guys either.

about 30 minutes on a normal day. although , if i change them on a few of my guitars it does start to slow down.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

E string- 3 minutes

beer

A string-4 minutes

beer

D string- 5 minutes

beer

G string- 6 minutes

beer

B string-7minutes

beer

E string-8 minutes

rest of beers

Pass out then get up....All in all...about 7-8 hours to change my strings hehe

that leaves you plenty of time to SLUPPA DUT BASS [biggrin]

I take em all off except both E strings ( stop the the tail and bridge coming off) .... I clean the frets and maybe use a little fret doctor if the boards looking a bit dry... all in all about half an hour..

I then spend about ten mins stretching tuning and stretching and tuning until it holds nicely.

Regards

1 year and 45 minutes! One year to get around to it, and 45 min.s (per guitar) to actually do it....but then I have 12 guitars, so they seem to last longer, execpt for my old 48 lap steel which goes thru them a bit faster.

If I'm at a gig, I can usually swap a set and get 'em tuned and stretched (although they still go out a little) in about 10 min. Now, if I'm at home, it's usually about an hour. -I like to give everything a once-over (check the action/intonation, lemon oil the fret board, clean the dust out of nooks and crannies...etc.).

I once had to change a broken E string in the middle of a song. I broke it going in to the drum solo on the Allman Bros arrangement of "One Way Out". After a SLIGHTLY extended drum solo, I was ready to come back in with the guitar part that ends the drum solo and takes you back into the song. You've got to have a high E string to play that lick, and you can't get out of the drum solo without it. My bandmates applauded me for that one.

About 15-20 mins, cleaning the fretboard and giving the body some McGuire's. My Strat with the Locking Tremolo takes a little longer, cause I have to snip both ends off and can't really lock it down till the next day. In an emergency I can get them completely changed in less than 10 minutes.

Archived