Gibson Brands Forums

Relic Guitars

tepidy

Thanks, Pip, that's very interesting!

So if I understand correctly, the "relicing"-process actually started out as a method of preserving the integrity of old instruments, which had undergone recent repairs. That makes sense.

It will be interesting to see how the values of reliced instruments fare in the future.

Under normal circumstances the price of a guitar is determined by how little damage it has suffered.

I ask myself whether the buyers of used reliced guitars will be willing to pay more for extra damage 10 or 20 years from now.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ask myself whether the buyers of used reliced guitars will be willing to pay more for extra damage 10 or 20 years from now.

That's an interesting question' date=' too.

There seem to be some people who feel that, somehow, the earliest 'Murphy-aged' instruments are more valuable than the later examples...

Beats me!

I suppose it will depend to a large extent on how many instruments Murphy ages and whether he is perceived (in the future) to have been [u']the[/u] master of his craft.

As it is there are more companies offering a 'Relic' service and to several different degrees of 'damage'.

If there is a very limited supply then demand will push prices up.

Mr Murphy's aged instruments are in no way 'beaten-up' - they only look that way - and so the playability will not be compromised in any fashion.

I say if anyone wants to have a guitar that looks as much like a real '59 as it's possible to get without laying down a quarter of a Mil then; Why Not?

I haven't done it myself but if the one I mentioned was a Murphy then I could certainly be tempted were it to re-appear on the market. I just hope it was the real deal - I'd be happier knowing I could never have afforded it the first time round!

Maybe. It depends on how much I like the guitar. When I bought my LP Custom, I didn't want another black guitar and I've never cared for gold hardware, but it's a really great guitar and I've been playing it for nearly 20 years now. So, I couldn't see myself turning my nose up at another great guitar just because there's something else about the way it looks (relic) that I'm not thrilled about. A good guitar is a good guitar.

That's an interesting question' date=' too.

There seem to be some people who feel that, somehow, the earliest 'Murphy-aged' instruments are more valuable than the later examples...

Beats me!

I suppose it will depend to a large extent on how many instruments Murphy ages and whether he is perceived (in the future) to have been [u']the[/u] master of his craft.

As it is there are more companies offering a 'Relic' service and to several different degrees of 'damage'.

If there is a very limited supply then demand will push prices up.

Mr Murphy's aged instruments are in no way 'beaten-up' - they only look that way - and so the playability will not be compromised in any fashion.

I say if anyone wants to have a guitar that looks as much like a real '59 as it's possible to get without laying down a quarter of a Mil then; Why Not?

I haven't done it myself but if the one I mentioned was a Murphy then I could certainly be tempted were it to re-appear on the market. I just hope it was the real deal - I'd be happier knowing I could never have afforded it the first time round!

True for Murph but the relicing I believe started when Keith Richards comissioned a copy of his favorite Fender guitars because he did not want to keep his prized guitars on the road.

The copies were great but they looked new he said, the Fender Custom shop figured out a way to relic the guitars for Keith and a new market started.

Can't really call Keith Richards a poser for wanting his guitars to look aged just like the ones he was replacing.

Consider this. Two guitars, both identical except one is relic'ed and $500 cheaper. Which would you choose? My Jr was relic'ed (not by me) but was a lot cheaper than other Jrs of the same year.

Consider this. Two guitars' date=' both identical except one is relic'ed and $500 cheaper. Which would you choose? My Jr was relic'ed (not by me) but was a lot cheaper than other Jrs of the same year.[/quote']

This is a good point... I voted "No, never" because while I think the aged look is neat, I wouldn't pay extra for it, because I also love a shiny new finish. But would I refuse a relic guitar if, all other things being equal, it was cheaper than the alternative? No, I'd buy the relic.

I should have read to the bottom of the thread before voting. #-o[blink]

True for Murph but the relicing I believe started when Keith Richards comissioned a copy of his favorite Fender guitars because he did not want to keep his prized guitars on the road.

The copies were great but they looked new he said' date=' the Fender Custom shop figured out a way to relic the guitars for Keith and a new market started.

Can't really call Keith Richards a poser for wanting his guitars to look aged just like the ones he was replacing.

[/quote']

But buying a Reliced Guitar so you can "Be Like Kieth" may be posing. But I don't think buying a reliced guitar is posing on the face of it. and like you said, a shiny guitar "Could" be a posing tool, if the guitarist gets a shiny Les Paul and totally rips off another Guitarists Stage Persona, they could be poser. Or they could be a Tribute Act.

Which Begs the question, is a Tribute Act really a bunch of Posers?

Personally, I think anyone over 28 who's wearing Spiked hair and Skinny Black Jeans is posing. Regardless of guitar.

But buying a Reliced Guitar so you can "Be Like Kieth" may be posing. But I don't think buying a reliced guitar is posing on the face of it. and like you said' date=' a shiny guitar "Could" be a posing tool, if the guitarist gets a shiny Les Paul and totally rips off another Guitarists Stage Persona, they could be poser. Or they could be a Tribute Act.

Which Begs the question, is a Tribute Act really a bunch of Posers?

Personally, I think anyone over 28 who's wearing Spiked hair and Skinny Black Jeans is posing. Regardless of guitar.[/quote']

But then again all that has not much to do with relic guitars. I like tribute bands myself, this is Nashville and working musicians have to eat and get gigs however they can, working skills and connections is a must. Learning for example Pink Floyd's entire catalog is not posing on my book, it is hard work.

On the subject of relic guitars in the end to me is "live and let live" we all seem to have a set of "evaluation values" when it comes to this kind of stuff and guitars in general.

It gets complicated with the relic and mojo thing.

I have 8 guitars, I am careful with all except my Squier 51, it is a beater and looks like one, I throw it in the car, the beach, hotels, planes, I have left it out on the deck more than a few times, I have dropped it, I play it while I grill/smoke, etc. you get the picture. The guitar is showing obvious signs of abuse.

Now, all of my other guitars look pretty new in comparison. If somebody saw my '51 they may think it has mojo, if somebody sees my well taken care of guitars they may think I did not play them much. I am still the same guy.

Here's a link for a typical Fender Custom Shop Reliced guitar.

Be sure and scroll down the page to look at the photographs. Note the price.

'56 Custom Shop Relic Stratocaster

Here's another one. Again' date=' Scroll down the page to look at the photographs. Note the price.

Fender Reliced Stratocaster Sea Foam Green

Caliman, those are Custom Shop the non-relic versions cost a lot of money too.

Are you saying those examples are more expensive because of the relic?

On the Fender subject I actually like the specifications of their Road Worn series, thin nitro finish, vintage tuners and bridge, cool colors, nice necks. etc. I just wish they did not relic them, a thin nitro finish will get relic'ed quick and so will nickel harware.

The relic thing is more popular on the Fender side because their stupid super thick poly finishes, those guitars will not age beautifully and a lot of Fender guys miss that.

I could use my American Stratocaster to whack the moles that are destroying my yard and the guitar finish would be just fine. I bumped that guitar into a Peavey amp I had and I put a dent on the amp!!!wtf

I kinda like it, when done right. Too often, it gets over done. I hate the look of the Fender Road Worn series, but the neck is SUPERB. Play when if you get the chance, and the neck feels amazing on it. I won't buy one because I don't necessarily care for the sound, but the neck is great. Nice and smooth.

Bottom line is if its a guitar you like and sounds good to you. Who the hell cares anyways?

Very artistically done. They take the bodies out in the parking lot and toss them around on the pavement til they like the look. And them some guy with too much disposable income pops a few thousand on it. Custom Shop, huh? Think I'll open one here. Zen Customs. Maybe Duane will be my first customer. [thumbup]

Caliman' date=' those are Custom Shop the non-relic versions cost a lot of money too.

Are you saying those examples are more expensive because of the relic?

On the Fender subject I actually like the specifications of their Road Worn series, thin nitro finish, vintage tuners and bridge, cool colors, nice necks. etc. I just wish they did not relic them, a thin nitro finish will get relic'ed quick and so will nickel harware.

The relic thing is more popular on the Fender side because their stupid super thick poly finishes, those guitars will not age beautifully and a lot of Fender guys miss that.

I could use my American Stratocaster to whack the moles that are destroying my yard and the guitar finish would be just fine. I bumped that guitar into a Peavey amp I had and I put a dent on the amp!!!wtf[/quote']

The Fender Custom Shop makes some great guitars.

My point is that a reliced Custom Shop guitar costs as much as a regular CS guitar.

Take my Thin Skin Nitro '62 Telecaster Custom. I know it's got a thin skin. It should relic nicely over the next 20 years. It's a $1,500.00 guitar.

I just don't understand the fascination with the reliced look. Go to Wildwood Guitars and check out how many reliced guitars are still on their shelves.

I'm pretty sure I sense a trend that may very well be ending soon.

The Poll seems to back up my assumption.

I'm pretty sure I sense a trend that may very well be ending soon.

The Poll seems to back up my assumption.

If it was at the Fender forum maybe, around here we all know our Gibsons with nitro finish will age well whether we take care of them or not.

The fad may go away but what does it really matter?

When the fad goes away you'll be able to pick up a Road Worn Strat or Tele for cheap, refinish it and have a really nice Tex Mex Fender with a nice neck. Folks who bought them from The Custom Shop as an investment may have to hold on to them for a few Generations to make 'em pay off.

Well...

As a grouchy old man <grin>, I guess if I were to go looking for a new guitar...

1. Is it gonna give me the sound I want?

2. Is it gonna play the way I wanna play?

3. Is it structurally and electrically sound?

4. Is it comfortable on a physical basis?

5. If there's more than one in my price range, the question is whether I like the looks for what and how I play. But probably unlike myself in my youth, I'm more likely to go for the less expensive that meets criteria 1-4 as long as it it doesn't meet my criteria of being unaesthetic.

A lot has to do with one's personality and one's guitars' "experience." I've always tried to keep my guitars looking nice, but there are a few things that simply have happened regardless.

OTOH... my main guitars all are roughly 35 years old at this point, plus or minus a couple years.

m

Archived