Gibson Brands Forums

Tube vs Solid State

deepblue

This little ditty is for the newbees to guitar playing.

I cant emphasize enough the importance of a good tube amplifier.

Youre here in the Gibson forum, so chances are you already have a Gibson, or are doing your homework before you make a purchase....so right away that tells me you have good taste! [biggrin]

But, buying a high end guitar will only take you part way on your journey to acheive that magical tone that we all hear on our heads. You need a decent amplifier.

Im sorry, solid state dont doesnt it!....not even the hybrids. It has to be tube, 100% valve.

Why am I preaching?

Today my daughters boyfriend was over. Hes been playing for a year or so...he uses a Peavey amplifier at home.

The model, im not sure, but its solid state...aka no tubes.

I was in a giving mood today so I told him to check out my Orange amp (usually I dont let anyone near my stuff)

but, he had just picked up a new guitar and was eager to show it off to me. He bought a new Gibson SG. He told me he had paid about $1700 for it, and although im not a huge SG fan will admit it was a nice guitar. Very comfortable to hold.

Well, he plugged her in and was amazed at the difference in sound. He told me THIS is how a guitar should sound.

It was like a totally new guitar to him.

He was so used to that solid state tone, that he was robbing himself of the tonal bliss that only a well made guitar can give you.....long story short, hes now shopping around for a tube amp to call his own.

My advice to you....Save up your money if you need to....solid states are cheaper, this is true, but if youre serious about your tone then you need to sacrifice.....in the end youll be glad you did it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way too much emphasis is given to Tubes vs Solid State. There's so much more to an Amplifier than just it's tubes. Personally I think Speakers have more to do with an Amps tone. Then, of course, Quality of components and craftsmanship.

Roland JC 120 - Great Solid State Amp

Crate V series - Ehh, not so great Tube Amp

Fender Stage Amps - Great Solid State

Peavey - Not so good Solid or Tube

I think people tend to compare a Mesa Dual Rectifier to a Fender Front Man and figure the Tubes must make the Boogie sound better.

I will agree that speakers are important part of the tone or sound, but with that said you have to have something with substance pushing those speakers and soild state isn't going to cut it. The Problem i have with all tube heads are they weight a friggin ton lol. I like Trace elliot or Orange hybrid stuff.

I think I will have to go check some all tube amps out. I run a Marshall hybrid with a 12ax7 in it, but now I want to hear some other amps.

Man I am always uncomfortable playing in music stores though.

I think I will have to go check some all tube amps out. I run a Marshall hybrid with a 12ax7 in it' date=' but now I want to hear some other amps.

Man I am always uncomfortable playing in music stores though.[/quote']

I don't have that problem...

Cos other than a Marshall 410H, the stores here ain't got sh*t worth checking out.

I run a Fender 300 W all tube head' date=' and for the money it's awesome.......down fall is it ways a ton, so I am looking for a backup either a Orange hybrid or a Trace Elliot. Now my speakers are Edens I have a 4x10 and 1x15[/quote']

Woah, that's a lot of amp! Do you ever get to turn it up? I'd love to shake the foundation with 300 watts of Fender Warmth.

I love all tube right down to my GZ34s for what I do... but if I was a jazzbo I'd want a Roland Jazz Chorus or a Polytune amp. I understand that tube distortion is very much a blues & rock sort of thing and solid state done well is great for clean.

I think I will have to go check some all tube amps out. I run a Marshall hybrid with a 12ax7 in it' date=' but now I want to hear some other amps.

Man I am always uncomfortable playing in music stores though.[/quote']

I hear ya Blackie, its not that I cant play in front of other people, but it seems like every time I go to a guitar store, someones either playing stairway, or some ridiculous loud riff that does not sound good at any volume. But I agree, I always feel uncomfortable playing at the music stores.

I think I just need to save up for a nice Orange, any suggestions??

deepblue... Keep in mind he was used to playing a PEAVEY solid state amp...

But I will say that for my purposes, the fender tube amps are my weapon of choice.. In fact I own 2 Deluxe Reverbs...

I will also add that I think the amp has a bigger influence on your sound than the guitar does... I think we place way too much emphasis on the guitar's influence on tone...

Personally I think Speakers have more to do with an Amps tone.

I couldn't agree more..... Speakers make a world of difference..... They made a big difference to my MarkIV when I changed to celestions on my boogie cabs, and a huge difference in my VOX AC50.

I do favor tube amps, but I've played out out of some very nice sounding solid state amps as well.

Archived